Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I went out today and looked at what was available locally(new). If I go the new route, I'll probably just buy one of the MTD YardMachine rear tine tillers and be done with it. The rear tine tillers that Sears had were rebranded MTD Yardmachines.

I did see an older troy built(like the ones pictured on page 2) at a place we drove by, but the kid was ready to get out of his car seat so I didn't stop. I'll go back tomorrow and talk to them about it. I don't even know what it would be worth. I'm thinking maybe $100 if it doesn't run? We can handle any necessary repairs as long as we can get the parts.

Opinions?
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#2]

As for working through the garden once things are planted.....

And I have 2 more that'll need something to do to keep out of trouble this summer.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 3:59:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Troy-Bilt for the Win. get an old one,made by Garden Way. I have two of them-a 7hp one I bought new in 1988, and a 1975 one I bought last year off Craigslist for $65. It was a rusty piece of junk when I got there, but the phone was still ringing off the hook with guys wanting to come out and get it. I cleaned it up, painted it, replaced the points in the engine, cleaned the carb, and replaced several seals in the transmission. A new set of tines was my major expense. Here is the result:

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh63/jeep442007/S6000244.jpg

Here's the 7hp at work last spring. This thing is unstoppable-I've never stalled it out in the heavy soil we have.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh63/jeep442007/S6000222.jpg

I have one like the first pic. Do you have a good source for parts?

Sign up for Yahoo groups and join the Troy Bilt Tiller Club. There is a wealth of information to help with working on the old machines, and a decent source or parts as well.

Do you have a link? I'm searching for it right now and can't find it.

ETA: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/troybilttillerclub/
Link Posted: 4/10/2010 3:00:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a Mantis this season.

Damn thing works great, busted up Georgia Clay just fine, made great tomato beds.

Link Posted: 4/10/2010 4:36:14 PM EDT
[#5]
picked up my cub cadet with the honda engine a couple of weeks ago.  we broke up HillBillySasquatch's garden last week and my brother's today.  mine will me be tomorrow.  ran a plow through it about a month ago and the disc last week.  almost bean time!!!!

the tiller ran great!
Link Posted: 4/10/2010 8:34:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I run a small front tine with a 5 hr Briggs at my house because I only put in a small area and some raised beds that are worked by hand.  When I go to my parents house and put their garden in I use one of two BCS units we run, a 735 and a little 205.  My Dad owns a lawn and garden equipment business and he has sold and used BCS equipment for the past 25+ years.  They do  cost more but don't let the guys on here make you believe only Bill Gates can buy them.  My Dad sells units to good old normal country folks in the north Georgia mountains all the time.  They are not wealthy, they just raise a lot of there own food and know a quality piece of equipment.  

Link Posted: 4/11/2010 3:23:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I run a small front tine with a 5 hr Briggs at my house because I only put in a small area and some raised beds that are worked by hand.  When I go to my parents house and put their garden in I use one of two BCS units we run, a 735 and a little 205.  My Dad owns a lawn and garden equipment business and he has sold and used BCS equipment for the past 25+ years.  They do  cost more but don't let the guys on here make you believe only Bill Gates can buy them.  My Dad sells units to good old normal country folks in the north Georgia mountains all the time.  They are not wealthy, they just raise a lot of there own food and know a quality piece of equipment.  

Sorry, I don't have North of $3,000 to throw at a tiller. I have priced them many times over the years. I'll stick to my 30 year old Troy bilt horse.

Edit: I was more than a little low.

BCS8C1U0580 (732GX11E.S.) 11 HP Honda Electric Start (LESS Battery), 3-speed forward, 2-speed reverse lbs. $3,449 (this price is without tiller attachment)

BCS92191217 26" Tiller attachment (Requires 3" PTO Extension-9220829 or Quick Hitch Kit-92290825K) lbs. $581

BCS921DR4AR 10" Rotary Plow lbs. $1,555

So it is north or $4,000 for the tiller, and close to $6000 if you include the rotary plow.

I guess you consider us poor for not being able to plop down that kind of change on a tiller.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 6:40:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm looking for one for my wife and trying to decide between a 2 stroke Mantis for $280 or a 4 stroke Honda FG110 for $340.  If I go with the Honda, I don't have to worry about her screwing up a gas/oil mix.  Any suggestions?  Thanks

The quietness of the 4-stroke makes it worth the extra money for me. While "stealth tilling" isn't exactly a high priority for me, I appreciate the lack of noise––it's positively soothing.

I don't have a feeling one way or the other over the fuel issue. If you buy the 2-stroke, you can color code the fuel cap to the fuel can if you want, then just say "The tiller only gets filled out of this can." That should minimize inadvertent fuel-fill issues.

Overall, I'd say spend the extra money for the 4-stroke.

4 stroke rules
but it is heavier.

the key to the gas cans is shape and color
We have a LOT of cans.
Yellow cans are diesel  (everyone knows that)
blue is for kerosene (everyone should know that, but doesn't), not that we use kerosene anyway, but in case you wanted to know.
Red is, of course, for gasoline.

there are tons of different gas cans out there.
Anything square or rectangular in my garage is straight gas.
Any ROUND can is 2 stroke (mixed) fuel.

Even though they are all labeled in sharpies, it's still much easier to do shape.

No one has messed it up yet.
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 6:43:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, I don't have North of $3,000 to throw at a tiller. I have priced them many times over the years. I'll stick to my 30 year old Troy bilt horse.

BCS8C1U0580 (732GX11E.S.) 11 HP Honda Electric Start (LESS Battery), 3-speed forward, 2-speed reverse lbs. $3,449 (this price is without tiller attachment)

BCS92191217 26" Tiller attachment (Requires 3" PTO Extension-9220829 or Quick Hitch Kit-92290825K) lbs. $581

So it is north or $4,000 for the tiller, and close to $6000 if you include the rotary plow.

I guess you consider us poor for not being able to plop down that kind of change on a tiller.  

Holy shit, that's ridiculous.
I can buy a top of the line, heavy duty, reverse tilling 6 foot wide 3 point tiller for less than that, that I could never wear out using commercially.

You can get a decent quality homeowner (that you'll likely never wear out) 5' tiller for under 2 grand.
You could get a whole tractor with a brand new tiller for less than that.

Link Posted: 4/11/2010 6:59:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can buy a top of the line, heavy duty, reverse tilling 6 foot wide 3 point tiller for less than that, that I could never wear out using commercially.

You can get a decent quality homeowner (that you'll likely never wear out) 5' tiller for under 2 grand.

That's why I said in my original post you need to be Bill Gates to afford one. I can buy a nice used Kubota with a loader for the price of a BCS tiller that is only a little better than a nice used Troy-Bilt Horse tiller.

What really amazes me is people buy them every day and think they are worth the money. Don't get me wrong, I would buy one if it was more reasonable in price, but I have yet to see a used one for a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 7:06:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It really depends on what you want and need.  That doesn't make it a silly choice.
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 7:07:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why I said in my original post you need to be Bill Gates to afford one. I can buy a nice used Kubota with a loader for the price of a BCS tiller that is only a little better than a nice used Troy-Bilt Horse tiller.

What really amazes me is people buy them every day and think they are worth the money.  Don't get me wrong, I would buy one if it was more reasonable in price, but I have yet to see a used one for a reasonable price.

Doesn't that suggest something?
Link Posted: 4/11/2010 9:32:57 AM EDT
[#13]
It suggests that they are FAR from having a reasonable price.

It's like someone trying to sell a nickel for a dollar. Even if you pay a dollar for the nickel, you still only have a nickel. I guess this though process is over your head though and some people are just happy as a bird paying a dollar for a nickel. The P.T. Barnum rule applys as always.

Edit––D'oh! I hit the edit button instead of reply! Soory about that. ––Feral
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 7:06:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/12/2010 11:54:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I actually own a BCS 732 with a tiller and rotary plow. I'm far from Bill Gates. You can certainly spend less and do fine, but I have no regrets buying BCS. These machines aren't really aimed at the homeowner....they're aimed at large market gardeners and were actually designed for European small-acreage farmers.

I would love to have one, but can't justify the cost for the 2 acres I garden. The farmall cub and Troybilt Horse have been doing well enough for many years. I pretty much only use the cub for plowing and discing once a year and the Horse for everything else, including row making.
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 3 pt tiller for my tractor was $1337 and it comes highly recommended by many, many people.
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 11:24:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 3 pt tiller for my tractor was $1337 and it comes highly recommended by many, many people.

Apples to Oranges. You got a little confused me-thinks.

We (me mainly) were bad-mouthing the ridiculous price of BCS walk behind tillers, not tractor tiller attachments. Totally different animal.

Link Posted: 4/13/2010 1:58:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apples to Oranges. You got a little confused me-thinks.

We (me mainly) were bad-mouthing the ridiculous price of BCS walk behind tillers, not tractor tiller attachments. Totally different animal.

DOH! RIF! My bad.
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 5:12:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
troy-bilt bronco here.

Link Posted: 4/13/2010 5:45:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Well....my deep, burning hatred of all things Tecumseh was rekindled this evening. My uncle helped me rebuild the carb(metering rod was stuck) on my horse, so that's done. After putting the carb back on, I cranked it probably 30 times before it finally decided to run...and then it still ran a little off....then it died..and more cranking...and it ran...then it died...etc.. Maybe I got the mixture screws adjusted somewhat close. If I can find a briggs replacement engine, the tecumseh goes in the scrap heap...or will be a boat anchor. Now to rebuild the transmission....
Link Posted: 4/13/2010 5:59:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Well....my deep, burning hatred of all things Tecumseh was rekindled this evening. My uncle helped me rebuild the carb(metering rod was stuck) on my horse, so that's done. After putting the carb back on, I cranked it probably 30 times before it finally decided to run...and then it still ran a little off....then it died..and more cranking...and it ran...then it died...etc.. Maybe I got the mixture screws adjusted somewhat close. If I can find a briggs replacement engine, the tecumseh goes in the scrap heap...or will be a boat anchor. Now to rebuild the transmission....

LMAO.   The carbs  do kinda suck,been tweaking mine all day
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 3:16:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

My Horse Tecumseh got replaced by a 5.5 hp Intek Briggs a couple of years back. Best decision I ever made. Te-Junk-a is just that. Horses originally came with 4.5 horse to 8 horse. So the 5.5 works just fine. It's literally a 10 minute job to replace the engine as it is held on by only 4 bolts.

If you go that route just make sure you align the pullys afterwords or you will eat belts rather quickly. I wonder how I know this ?
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 9:11:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, not necessarily.  My sister and I split a used agric 70" 3-pt tiller for about $500 (total) I think.  Been a few years.  We're poor, we just looked around until we found one used...

-Slice

ETA:  Guess I should've kept reading before I posted –– you weren't talking about 3-pt tillers...
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 9:17:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, not necessarily.  My sister and I split a used agric 70" 3-pt tiller for about $500 (total) I think.  Been a few years.  We're poor, we just looked around until we found one used...

-Slice

Somehow you guys keep getting confused with Tractor tillers. The Above prices are for the BCS walk behind roto-tiller. With that in mind do think that $4,000 for the tiller, and close to $6000 if you include the rotary plow attachment is reasonable?

Link Posted: 4/14/2010 9:52:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Slice

Somehow you guys keep getting confused with Tractor tillers. The Above prices are for the BCS walk behind roto-tiller. With that in mind do think that $4,000 for the tiller, and close to $6000 if you include the rotary plow attachment is reasonable?

I dont think thats reasonable for a tractor tiller let alone a walk behind!
Link Posted: 4/14/2010 10:29:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Tilled up the garden last week.  

Also added a strawberry patch and asparagus bed.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#27]
I've been using my Mantis for about 3 years now.  It ranks up there as one of the best and most used tools I've purchased in a long time.
You said you're going to work a 12x24 plot.  I normally spend about an hour on roughly 640sq/ft of raised beds and I'm done.

Yes, they do in fact work on dry unbroken ground.  It takes a while to scratch through the surface but once it gets in there a bit, it's over.  This fact comes to you from the dry, hard clay soil state of Colorado.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 12:04:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have an old ass heavy as hell really wide front tine John deer tiller that is louder than a B1 taking off
It was free so I am not complaining.

I have a John Deere 314F model tiller.  It's a front tiller that only about 14" wide.  Good for small gardens.  

Did I mention that it was free?  

Vulcan94
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top