Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2023 7:31:41 AM EDT
Snagged a Belgium manufacture '85 8HP OMC W/3 gal tank last weekend for $100. Had been sitting for a year outside. Good spark and compression. Replaced fuel lines, pull rope and epoxied some broken plastic bits and cleaned carb. Started right up but smoked a lot. After idling for a while it started to load up and would die on idle. Cowling says 100:1 oil mix, all I had was 50:1. Gonna try new plugs and 80:1 premix.

Thoughts ?
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 7:56:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I think if the cowling says 100:1 it probably needs 100:1

Why wouldn't you use the correct blend?
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 9:17:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Adding more oil, 50:1, literally made it lean not rich. Hopefully you didn't score the piston or cylinder wall. Follow what was instructed unless you know it was jetted for another ratio.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:41:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Most of the boat forums say to run 50:1 instead of 100:1.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#4]
The 100:1 rule was later changed for those motors and they went to 50:1.  

Serious answer-  They aren't making any more 2 strokes.  It is worth it to spend money on decent synthetic 2 stroke oil and non ethanol gas.  The best 2 stroke for outboards is Evinrude XD 100.  Yes...it cost more than what you get at wal mart...because it is better.  Buy it, mix it 50:1, and run that motor like it is built for speed.  

Link Posted: 3/20/2023 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By akcaribouhunter:
View Quote

Yep. I've been running 50:1 in OMC's marked 100:1 for 45 years without a problem. I hate Champion plugs but for some mysterious reason they make little OMC's purr. It came with old NGK's. Another thing. The low speed jet was 4.5 turns (????) out from seated when I did the carb. I did factory spec 1.5 turns out and never fine tuned it when I ran it. These might be contributing issues. Gonna do some engine tuner Wed with the old plugs and let it sit for a few days then try the Champions and adjust the low speed better.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 6:52:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By FedDC:
The 100:1 rule was later changed for those motors and they went to 50:1.  

Serious answer-  They aren't making any more 2 strokes.  It is worth it to spend money on decent synthetic 2 stroke oil and non ethanol gas.  The best 2 stroke for outboards is Evinrude XD 100.  Yes...it cost more than what you get at wal mart...because it is better.  Buy it, mix it 50:1, and run that motor like it is built for speed.  

View Quote

They are still making plenty of two strokes. Their just not sold here. They are still popular worldwide. A quick run to the Bahamas and you can buy all you want.https://www.hbsmarine.com/two-strokes

I ran XP-50 in my E-Tek OMC 115 religiously. Everything else gets a synthetic blend TC-3.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 12:34:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By nowgrn4:

Yep. I've been running 50:1 in OMC's marked 100:1 for 45 years without a problem. I hate Champion plugs but for some mysterious reason they make little OMC's purr. It came with old NGK's. Another thing. The low speed jet was 4.5 turns (????) out from seated when I did the carb. I did factory spec 1.5 turns out and never fine tuned it when I ran it. These might be contributing issues. Gonna do some engine tuner Wed with the old plugs and let it sit for a few days then try the Champions and adjust the low speed better.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

With the motor being a 1985 the gaskets and seals might be dried out.

I have run the mercury cheap oil in all my 2-stroke outboards with no problem.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 7:39:56 AM EDT
[#8]
With the motor being a 1985 the gaskets and seals might be dried out.

I have run the mercury cheap oil in all my 2-stroke outboards with no problem.
View Quote

I don't think they had a chance to dry out, the guy I bought it from ran it regularly for the last 15 years on his Jon. He upgraded to a 25HP last year and removed this engine and leaned it up against the side of his house. He just bought a brand new '15 X-Treme stick steer with a 60HP Yammy and offered me the still running good 25HP that's leaning against the side of the house too for a $100. lol.

The biggest danger with 2-Stroke oil is mixing brands in a oil injection tank. Marine mechanic friend told me he has seen blown engines from oil gelling in the tank and restricting flow from mixing different brands. I would imagine this is a bigger issue up where you are in the cold.

Link Posted: 3/21/2023 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#9]

I don't think they had a chance to dry out, the guy I bought it from ran it regularly for the last 15 years on his Jon. He upgraded to a 25HP last year and removed this engine and leaned it up against the side of his house. He just bought a brand new '15 X-Treme stick steer with a 60HP Yammy and offered me the still running good 25HP that's leaning against the side of the house too for a $100. lol.

The biggest danger with 2-Stroke oil is mixing brands in a oil injection tank. Marine mechanic friend told me he has seen blown engines from oil gelling in the tank and restricting flow from mixing different brands. I would imagine this is a bigger issue up where you are in the cold.

View Quote
Never had a problem with mixing oils.

Have had head gaskets dry out on my yammi 150.
Even my 2-stroke snogos have had seals and gaskets dry out.

Just something to check.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 10:45:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Top Top