Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2023 3:28:19 PM EDT
This is my first post on this forum - but I've read a number of the posts and I can tell that there's a lot of knowledge here so - here goes.

I've reached the point where I'm ready to pull the trigger on an RV - specifically a travel trailer I can pull with my truck. I know my trucks capabilities so after a lot of on-line research I've narrowed it down to 3 or 4 models, all of them very similar:  <=6000 lbs GVWR,  dual axles, 21 - 22 Ft total,  Queen bed,  dry shower.  That pretty much brought it down to these:

Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
Coachmen Freedom Express 1840 RBX
Coachmen Northern Spirit 1943RB
Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S

What surprised me was that you can hardly find any of these within like 300 miles of where I live. So I took a quick look on Craig's list and found the 2022 MKE close buy, a model I hadn't really considered sins the GVWR is like 6300 (but I don't need to load it up full) I did look at some reviews on it and it seems worth a look.

So before I go look at it this weekend does anyone have any knowledge of this RV like questions to ask, things to look for etc.?

TIA

Link Posted: 6/28/2023 3:44:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lizARdman15] [#1]
GD makes a nice camper regardless of TT or 5er. When I can upgrade I am considering one of their models.

That model is in their Imagine XLS line which I believe is aimed at lighter weight for towing. It has fiberglass sides and aluminum frame to achieve that.

Withou knowing what you are towing with, it might be worth it as long as you recognize that you will be at the top of you tow limit. So, you may have no issue or much issue. I am not one to believe you need a one ton to tow a pop up, but you do need to know your limits. Also, is your tow vehicle your “forever” car or will you upgrade that when the time comes as well.

In the end, you have to be comfortable and confident in what you can pull behind you

ETA
Well, I didn’t really answer your question.
How old
How many times used(expect a lie there)
How stored

Walk thru looking for extra wear items. Dark areas on the interior walls and ceiling. Soft spots are definite trouble.

Exterior. Delamination of the siding is a huge repair, so damage or I’ll fitting pieces can be issues
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 4:01:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 4:24:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I missed the 2022 model year.Duh!

TBH, unless something happened to it, there is likely no problem.

But, it got cold enough here in SC that if it was not properly winterized, there could be potential for water line leaks. You won’t even know about those until you put pressure on the lines. Interior stains on the walls could show up or not.

The big thing to me is his price. Even with all the extras and “ready to camp”.  
A buddy just bought a Arctic wolf new fiberglass/aluminum TT from the dealer and got a better discount off MSRP than this guy is offering. New could still be cheaper when you consider Grand designs warranty etc.

Is it worth it??? Maybe, or not.

He bought the camper at the peak of the market and prices are now being cut to make sales.

If you buy new though, expect to put out at least another $2k to make it camp ready
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 4:31:31 PM EDT
[#4]
@lizARdman15

Thanks very much for all the insights -
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 4:47:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lizARdman15] [#5]
I am not a RV salesman, but have never bought a used RV myself either.

There are others on arfcom that could post with better insight.
There is also an actual RV salesman from VA that I believe sells Grand Design and likely has better insight than I could dare. GTOMike87(I'll let you do the @ thing if you want)

I just love going camping with my family in my camper and would like to help where I can, especially to a fellow S.Carolinian

Grand Design has several dealers in SC that are decent to work with. None are Camping World AFAIK.
Campers Inn at the beach and the satellite in Conway. Browns RV in McBee. I think there is a place in Longs. In my travels to Chucktown, I've seen a GD dealer off I-26 as well.

If I was financially able right now, I would likely already have a GD 5er(or maybe an Alliance) that I'd be making payments on!! LOL

Good luck and happy shopping
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 2:40:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: piperpa24] [#6]
I'll just update this post for anyone who's interested.

I went to look at this particular model this morning (private local sale).  I will say right off the guy told me he and his wife decided not to sell it and pulled the add from Craig's list last night, but to his credit did say if I did want it for his advertised price he would sell it.

That being said I was favorable impressed with this rig. The build quality looked pretty good to my inexperience eye. Here are a few observations:

- I was impressed by the size of the shower - plenty of room to stretch out and move around. The bath door was a pocket type so no need for extra wasted space for swinging a door.
- Systems status console in a cabinet over the kitchen - U could tell at a glance the state of charge of batteries and other systems.
- The reclining lounge chairs in the slide looked like quality and were very comfortable.

So I'd add this model to my list  -  His asking price was just a bit too high for me but they weren't totally into selling it anyways and that may be why they set the price higher. It was good experience for me to inspect one first hand and talk with the owner. I plan to look at others before I pull the trigger on one.

@lizARdman15    

Link Posted: 7/2/2023 3:06:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I hate when people waste my time like that.

Now you have a good excuse to find a new one on a dealers lot and see what kinda deal they can make.

If you put in some work, you can likely get a deal. Lazy may cost you some $.

After looking over the other models you mentioned, I am not even sure some are available in this region although a dealer may have availability to get one.

The Grand Design will offer great quality, but Forest River offers some small campers as well, but I don't really know anything about small campers.

It's all a balance of $ vs. quality and what you are willing to accept
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 3:12:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 7:09:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By piperpa24:
I'll just update this post for anyone who's interested.

I went to look at this particular model this morning (private local sale).  I will say right off the guy told me he and his wife decided not to sell it and pulled the add from Craig's list last night, but to his credit did say if I did want it for his advertised price he would sell it.

That being said I was favorable impressed with this rig. The build quality looked pretty good to my inexperience eye. Here are a few observations:

- I was impressed by the size of the shower - plenty of room to stretch out and move around. The bath door was a pocket type so no need for extra wasted space for swinging a door.
- Systems status console in a cabinet over the kitchen - U could tell at a glance the state of charge of batteries and other systems.
- The reclining lounge chairs in the slide looked like quality and were very comfortable.

So I'd add this model to my list  -  His asking price was just a bit too high for me but they weren't totally into selling it anyways and that may be why they set the price higher. It was good experience for me to inspect one first hand and talk with the owner. I plan to look at others before I pull the trigger on one.

@lizARdman15    

View Quote

That’s a bummer that it turned out the way it did. As others have stated you can likely find a new one for that much or less. GD campers don’t have as much available discount vs most other brands. I carry GD as well as all of the other rigs on your list. I’ll add the Coachmen Apex and Winnebago travel trailer line to your list as well. I’m happy to answer any questions you may have. This is the busy season and most dealers want to move as much as possible in the next couple of months.

I wish I had seen this thread sooner, my apologies.
Link Posted: 7/2/2023 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GTOMike87:

That's a bummer that it turned out the way it did. As others have stated you can likely find a new one for that much or less. GD campers don't have as much available discount vs most other brands. I carry GD as well as all of the other rigs on your list. I'll add the Coachmen Apex and Winnebago travel trailer line to your list as well. I'm happy to answer any questions you may have. This is the busy season and most dealers want to move as much as possible in the nei may reach outtoxt couple of months.

I wish I had seen this thread sooner, my apologies.
View Quote

Thank you!  

Top Top