Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2023 1:59:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: buckshot_jim]
We created a shallow pond, about 2 acres. We flooded it to kill off the Johnson grass and other BS plants that were undesirable. After all of it was killed off, we pumped the water out and planted Barnyard Grass and Smartweed for duck food. We then dug a trench for a 3-inch line put in a sump for water management. When the plants grow to the appropriate height, we'll flood it again Here are some pics.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

We've already started building blinds on the north and south sides of the pond.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 6:13:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow, looks great, 3" pump will move alot of water fast.
Soooo much rain here, my bags of duck corn and millet seed are just sitting in the garage, never even hooked my new no-till planter on the tractor yet.
Getting too late now.
Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 1:46:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By deerranger:
Wow, looks great, 3" pump will move alot of water fast.
Soooo much rain here, my bags of duck corn and millet seed are just sitting in the garage, never even hooked my new no-till planter on the tractor yet.
Getting too late now.
Good luck!
View Quote

We were almost too late... weather controls everything. Good luck this season.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 2:33:23 PM EDT
[#3]
The wild Millet and smartweed are like duck crack. The problem is if you get too many ducks they will eat it all and move on. It is too late this year but look into Short corn. I planted 20 acres of it and flooded it and keep it flooded most of the season. We kill ducks with a 28 ga they decoy so close. We also built a blind on a trailer so if the wind changes we can move it to the best spot. Another thing to think about is canary grass on the edges as it helps hide the blinds better.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 4:44:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By junkie:
The wild Millet and smartweed are like duck crack. The problem is if you get too many ducks they will eat it all and move on. It is too late this year but look into Short corn. I planted 20 acres of it and flooded it and keep it flooded most of the season. We kill ducks with a 28 ga they decoy so close. We also built a blind on a trailer so if the wind changes we can move it to the best spot. Another thing to think about is canary grass on the edges as it helps hide the blinds better.
View Quote

Yes sir, we have over 150 acres of Milo planted on each side of this pond. This is just the sweet spot kind of in the middle.
Link Posted: 8/17/2023 7:44:03 AM EDT
[#5]
It's been another terrible year for rain in SE Wi, well below average.
My 3 oxbows on the river are bone dry but the smart weed is very thick.
Hopefully the fall rains produce enough water to get about 2 feet deep, otherwise we will be hunting the main channel.
Link Posted: 8/20/2023 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Chukar:
It's been another terrible year for rain in SE Wi, well below average.
My 3 oxbows on the river are bone dry but the smart weed is very thick.
Hopefully the fall rains produce enough water to get about 2 feet deep, otherwise we will be hunting the main channel.
View Quote

I hate to hear that. We have been flooding ours to give it a drink. It's waist-high now.

Attachment Attached File

Top Top