Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2024 9:49:40 AM EDT
I recently bought a 5.11 Rush 100 pack.  I really like it, but have a question for people with the same pack.

The straps are mainly connected to the pack by velcro.  The small adjustment straps at the top, and the bottom of the main straps are sewed to the pack.

Has anyone had any issues with the straps staying connected with the velcro?  Does it ever wear out?  I look at that as a weak point, but could be wrong

Without the straps the pack becomes useless.

I did post this in GD and didn't get a response.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 11:54:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pestilence12] [#1]
I have the Rush 100.

The Velcro is very strong. I have not had an issue with it thus far, and I have been doing weekly rucking in the pack, carrying 60lbs over 6-8 miles per outing. This is my second season with the pack. Probably about 100 miles on it so far.

I actually love the Velcro, as apposed to the old style of straps and slots, because you can fine tune the adjustment for your back and shoulders rather than one slot too short or one slot too long (Deuter, looking at you)

ETA - the 60lbs is training weight. I would only really ever carry about half of that on an actual outing.
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 1:38:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pestilence12:
I have the Rush 100.

The Velcro is very strong. I have not had an issue with it thus far, and I have been doing weekly rucking in the pack, carrying 60lbs over 6-8 miles per outing. This is my second season with the pack. Probably about 100 miles on it so far.

I actually love the Velcro, as apposed to the old style of straps and slots, because you can fine tune the adjustment for your back and shoulders rather than one slot too short or one slot too long (Deuter, looking at you)

ETA - the 60lbs is training weight. I would only really ever carry about half of that on an actual outing.
View Quote

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't notice the Velcro when I bought it.  I've never seen a pack like it
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 2:51:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CryptoMan:

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't notice the Velcro when I bought it.  I've never seen a pack like it
View Quote

I didn't either, but I've come to really like it.

For some quick facts:

The shear strength of Velcro is pretty insane. In an experiment I found, someone hung 265 lbs on a 4x4 square of velcro and it held. The only reason they stopped at 265lbs was that the eyelet hook they were using broke before the Velcro sheared.

They also found that if you peel the velcro off and press it back on (a cycle), it reduces the holding strength. After 25 cycles, the Velcro only held 165lbs.

So set the straps for your measurements and leave them alone, the strips are much bigger than 4x4, so no reason to believe the won't last just about forever and hold an incredible amount of weight, more than the actual pack, or you yourself, could hold.

Link Posted: 7/18/2024 8:42:34 AM EDT
[#4]
FWIW, Industrial Grade Velcro is different from common "Commercial Grade, and a lot more self-adhesive as a result.  IDK about the # of cycles OK for Industrial Grade Velcro.

If bought as "Sticky-Back" Velcro, the adhesive used on the Industrial grade Velcro is a LOT stickier than that found on Commercial grade.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the information.  So far so good.  I am not so freaked out about the velcro now.  I've never had a pack that the straps weren't directly connected to the pack
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top