Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2024 2:16:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Taft]
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 2:20:22 PM EDT
[#1]
i really like my sbr suppressed ps90, i can carry a lot of ammo with a small accurate rifle
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Water, power bars, survival blanket….these and the 5.7 will be enough for your needs.

18Z50….you’d be surprised how long you can walk with 6 quarts of water and 3 power bars!
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the little round.  It is much better than a sharp stick.  0-150 yds you can pretty much point and pull the trigger.

If I know trouble is coming my way, I want more horsepower.

Doc
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 4:33:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File

I love the little gun!
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 4:42:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By weapons_free:
i really like my sbr suppressed ps90, i can carry a lot of ammo with a small accurate rifle
View Quote

Same.
Put mine together during riot season when zombies started swarming cars.
50rd of SS198 without reloading in a weapon you can fire line handed while driving if needed
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 5:11:45 PM EDT
[#6]
@PursuitSS
@Buffman_LT1
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 5:25:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Surfgun] [#7]
5.7 is nice and light, carrying 500 rounds is pretty easy while carrying other gear.  In a pinch, 200 yard shots are possible without extensive training.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 5:29:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 5:59:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 6:16:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 6:36:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Taft: Awesome, I had no idea folks.

I believe I will be replacing my Mini-14 with the Ruger LC Carbine and add the FN 5.7 pistol with it in the truck vault.  
The FN now wears a Holosun 507K and fast 50 yard shots are very possible.

Going to buy more ammo !
View Quote

If you already have the FN, why not buy the CMMG or Diamondback PCCs that use the FN pistol mags?
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 6:54:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Like everything there are pros and cons

Pros
Almost as light as 22lr so you can carry a lot of rounds
Zippy, good against soft armor
No recoil

Cons
Loud
Notoriously bad terminal ballistics (on people, good choice for varmints)
Really intended to be used in subguns with a lot of rounds on target.
Very expensive
Hard on pistol targets

For all the people who say 22lr is the best survival round, I’d say 5.7 is an upgrade.  But I’ll stick with 5.56.  I had one of the first ps90 and an IOM and a USG and used to be on the 5.7 forums.
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 9:16:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/12/2024 9:18:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow OP. You're getting a much more positive response to this idea than I did.

Link Posted: 6/12/2024 11:14:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I like it. I would say with the higher velocity long tumbling rounds it's superior to 9/40/45, but be advised in the pistol some of those rounds currently may suffer accuracy wise past 10-15 yards.  With a higher velocity 40gr vmax offerings I think it offers on par wounding to middle tier 9/40/45 JHPs, with an advantage to faster follow up shots, and more mag capacity. The price to entry with the Rock, Ruger, and S&W has made it easier on the wallet. It's still double the cost to practice vs 9mm ammo though.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 9:31:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Canoeguy] [#16]
I am a fan of the PS90. But I can really only see one good use for it and that is handing it to someone with practically zero experience and saying point in that direction and pull the trigger, you have 50 rounds. Pretty damn specific scenario and also pretty much a fantasy. So while I like to fondle mine and imagine SHTF scenarios where it is a key player, I know better.

The reality is a .300 blackout in a 7.5" or or whatever length barrel is much, much better. Over a thousand foot pounds of energy with 110grain vesus something like 260 foot pounds with 5.7. Even with subs in a .300 you are still around 500 ft pounds.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 10:30:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#17]
Originally Posted By Taft:

I’m in the peoples republic of californiastan and we do not allow for such awesomeness.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  If you already have the FN, why not buy the CMMG or Diamondback PCCs that use the FN pistol mags?

I’m in the peoples republic of californiastan and we do not allow for such awesomeness.

Ah, and the Ruger 57 pistol isn't on the "Roster" either.  If you're LEO & can get 20 round mags & LEO ammo, it makes some sense - if you're limited to 10 round mags I don't see the point.

ETA:  Especially if you're limited to the fixed stock of the castrated LC.  Would rather break down a Mini-14 & feed from stripper clips.

If you're LEO & have a Glock 19 w/ free ammo, why not get a Gen 3 KelTec SUB-2000?  Same mags, same ammo, mount a red dot, you're good to at least 100 yds.  And if you are LEO, then can't you get off-roster guns like non-ban state Ruger 57s?
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 10:49:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 10:51:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 11:04:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Taft] [#20]
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 12:56:00 PM EDT
[#21]

When I was active duty, we wouldn’t even be having this conversation.  I could buy whatever.  As a retired LEO working special investigations, I do not have full time peace officer powers any longer.

And hence, no more off roster guns for me.  (FC)

I still have plenty of high cap magazines, including 20 rounders for the FN.  My plan is to save the Mini14 for a hand off like a close friend, family member, neighbor if SHTF.

I have a Sub2000.  Love it.

The Ruger is easily “uncastrated” if needed and will wear a sling, red dot, DBAL, and weapon light. Here in Cali doing that to a mini14 is problematic based on its design.  I could get a red dot, a light, and a sling, but adding a DBAL would not be as easy.  

And remember, I am only using this as a get home gun, knock around town truck gun.  If a real world SHTF/TEOTWAWKI happens, I have much much better stuff available.  (AR-15, SCAR 16, SCAR17, Sniper rifles, 870’s.) And I am still a rangemaster and I use the range almost every month without fail.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Ah, and the Ruger 57 pistol isn't on the "Roster" either.  If you're LEO & can get 20 round mags & LEO ammo, it makes some sense - if you're limited to 10 round mags I don't see the point.

ETA:  Especially if you're limited to the fixed stock of the castrated LC.  Would rather break down a Mini-14 & feed from stripper clips.

If you're LEO & have a Glock 19 w/ free ammo, why not get a Gen 3 KelTec SUB-2000?  Same mags, same ammo, mount a red dot, you're good to at least 100 yds.  And if you are LEO, then can't you get off-roster guns like non-ban state Ruger 57s?

When I was active duty, we wouldn’t even be having this conversation.  I could buy whatever.  As a retired LEO working special investigations, I do not have full time peace officer powers any longer.

And hence, no more off roster guns for me.  (FC)

I still have plenty of high cap magazines, including 20 rounders for the FN.  My plan is to save the Mini14 for a hand off like a close friend, family member, neighbor if SHTF.

I have a Sub2000.  Love it.

The Ruger is easily “uncastrated” if needed and will wear a sling, red dot, DBAL, and weapon light. Here in Cali doing that to a mini14 is problematic based on its design.  I could get a red dot, a light, and a sling, but adding a DBAL would not be as easy.  

And remember, I am only using this as a get home gun, knock around town truck gun.  If a real world SHTF/TEOTWAWKI happens, I have much much better stuff available.  (AR-15, SCAR 16, SCAR17, Sniper rifles, 870’s.) And I am still a rangemaster and I use the range almost every month without fail.

Ah, so you're in one of those grey zones.  More legacy mags than most but now cut off.

Could this not be castrated enough to ship to you, maybe w/ a Hera non-thumbhole fixed stock, P&W the muzzle brake?

https://cmmg.com/resolute-mk57-5-7x28mm-16-1

Since you already have a SUB, you could get a rotating forend & mount a red dot & your DBAL.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#22]
True enough.  Here in Cali it is about $1 a round, but lately I have seen it come down to 72 cents a round depending where and what you buy.

View Quote

PSA has had AAC and ss197 for $.50 a round recently.
And Fiocchi FMJ for ~$.44/rd.
Not including tax and shipping of course.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 2:12:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 2:15:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 2:48:24 PM EDT
[#25]

No thumbhole stocks allowed here in Cali. [sarcasm/on] Too many people killed with thumbhole stocks, sliding/folding stocks, bayonet lugs, and flash hiders.  Killers. [sarcasm/off]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Ah, so you're in one of those grey zones.  More legacy mags than most but now cut off.

Could this not be castrated enough to ship to you, maybe w/ a Hera non-thumbhole fixed stock, P&W the muzzle brake?

https://cmmg.com/resolute-mk57-5-7x28mm-16-1

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-7ngaea0tdq/products/2235/images/5385/57A230F-AB_1__64859.1712338469.1280.1280.jpg

Since you already have a SUB, you could get a rotating forend & mount a red dot & your DBAL.

No thumbhole stocks allowed here in Cali. [sarcasm/on] Too many people killed with thumbhole stocks, sliding/folding stocks, bayonet lugs, and flash hiders.  Killers. [sarcasm/off]

That's why Hera & Vism make non-thumbhole thumbhole stocks:

https://hera-usa.com/product/cqr-buttstock-restricted-version-tan/

The Vism is the better stock, but a little short, being Chinese.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 9:56:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 8:34:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Attachment Attached File

I think my5.7 Rock and CMMG banshee are great for taking on road trips. I can load up lots of ammo and it’s so compact that I can carry it in a backpack very easily. There are definitely better weapon systems for harder hitting rounds. I have those also.

I will say this, however, we were up in Colorado a few weeks ago. Did some walking in the mountains and saw lots of wildlife. Even saw some bears. That got me to thinking, my 57 rock is way underpowered to stop a raging, charging bear, if it came to that. I should’ve taken my 10 mm. But all is well that ends well.

Shooting a bear in the face isn’t gonna do much but piss him off shooting a person in the face is going to ruin their whole fucking day. Most people, say 99.9% just aren’t gonna stand and fire after that that happens to them.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 2:06:18 PM EDT
[#28]
My son rented a P90 suppressed for a him and dad day.

He got a good deal in my opinion as he paid less than $1 a shot rental ammo range and all.

I came away having met one of my heroes...and with the disapoint.

To me the P90 kicked just as hard as all of my pencil barrel ARs in 556

I had a bit of a nomnom blek feeling about that.

If I'm gonna ride recoil I want the horsepower.

That rental was a beautiful investment because I am no longer tempted to get a P90S

Didn't save any money though because I got a coupon from "G" and took delivery of a SuperDuty.

I've not fired the firearms that Taft is talking about so they may be better behaved than the P90 and if they are  that would be great.

In the considerations of the OP I can think of some good things about the 5.7 ammo:
You can carry a lot of ammo
I see no reason that if Kyle R had been armed with say a 5.7 Sub2000 that there would have been no difference in the final outcome.
I like the thought of having lots of ammo.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 4:21:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By PA22-400:
View Quote

Weird, not my experience.
What suppressor?  A high backpressure can make it feel snappier.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 6:37:08 PM EDT
[#30]
For a GHB I always recommend people go light on weaponry and heavy on travel.

If I had the choice between a rifle and a bike, I’d choose bike every time.

1: the world just doesn’t flip a switch and start killing each other.  It takes a few days.
2: avoidance is better than fighting.
Link Posted: 6/16/2024 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Folding bikes look funny, but will easily fit in a trunk.

5.7x28mm doesn't seem like a round you would have easy resupply of unless you lived in Belgium.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 3:04:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:

View Quote

Thanks
It never entered my mind to consider that the can would influence perceived recoil.

If we go back and rent the P90 again I'll pay some attention to the can.  Last time I gave the can no thought or attention, so I only know that it was there installed on the gun.

Taft

IMHO I like the idea of the 5.7 and what it was meant to be when it was created.  The 5.7 was to be a weapon for truckers and office workers in the military.  People that don't get in the enemy's face and break things but if you don't have a trucker you don't get the things you need to get into the enemy's face and break their things.

Link Posted: 6/18/2024 3:25:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks
It never entered my mind to consider that the can would influence perceived recoil.

If we go back and rent the P90 again I'll pay some attention to the can.  Last time I gave the can no thought or attention, so I only know that it was there installed on the gun.

Taft

IMHO I like the idea of the 5.7 and what it was meant to be when it was created.  The 5.7 was to be a weapon for truckers and office workers in the military.  People that don't get in the enemy's face and break things but if you don't have a trucker you don't get the things you need to get into the enemy's face and break their things.
View Quote

The M4 is what you take to a gunfight.
The P90 is what you take to work in case a gunfight breaks out.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 11:39:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Better than a sharp stick!
Need a Glock version with a switch in a braced chassis.

With that said, I'll take my 7.5" 300blk with a LAW folder over an extra 5.7 if I'm assuming I have my 9mm CCW on me anyway.  

A bicycle is far more important than a 2nd weapon.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 12:04:07 AM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

I rented a 5.7 Banshee (no suppressor) full-auto a month ago. I was surprised at the recoil. I even dumped the mag and checked the rounds to make sure I wasn't firing 5.56.

Link Posted: 7/13/2024 11:49:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Taft] [#36]
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 11:59:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Taft] [#37]
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 10:22:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/3/2024 6:38:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fives] [#39]
wrong thread
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 7:49:11 AM EDT
[#40]
that cartridge is great until you can't find any more.  As a plaything and an interesting gun in times of plenty and no crisis,  I guess it's a good choice.
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 10:38:53 AM EDT
[#41]
In fairness though...how many rounds does one think they are going to fire of 5.7 in a SHTF event and survive. 500-1k on hand is more than the odds say you will survive to shoot for a role specific firearm.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 8:25:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Canoeguy:
In fairness though...how many rounds does one think they are going to fire of 5.7 in a SHTF event and survive. 500-1k on hand is more than the odds say you will survive to shoot for a role specific firearm.
View Quote

It depends. If he is by himself, he probably won't last long. If he has a decent sized support group of family and friends, he could be a tack in someone's chair for quite a while. Think Sarajevo.

I recently shot my friends PS90 and love that stupid thing! It's more than an inexperienced shooters gun. It's a 10 round group the size of your thumb nail on someone's forehead at 50yrds. It's the recoil sensitive not being afraid. It's the carpal tunnel, repetitive motion injury being able to pick it up and actually shoot it without flinching in pain. It's adding one more person to the defensive line, or another tool to your city issues toolbox.

I have been thinking about the Ruger 5.7 LC Carbine for a while. Maybe someone will have a Black Friday sale in a couple months and I can pick one up.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 9:09:29 AM EDT
[#43]
Anyone have a CMMG Banshee that takes FN mags? Was considering putting a folding adapter on the stock and the 8inch barrel for better ballistics and better concealability.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 10:46:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Buffman have you compared the Cmmg dissent and its operating system to the Cmmg Banshee in 5.7? Which one in your opinion is more durable long term?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top