Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2022 2:45:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zeebz]
Looked at the recent posts and didn't see anything about it, so I was wondering how ethical the 6.5 Creedmoor is for elk at 500 yards or less?  My rule of thumb is I won't shoot at any game animal beyond 500, so I don't plan on ever taking any shots beyond that.

The gun in question, and my main hunting rifle, is a Sako 85 Varmint in 6.5 Creedmoor with 24" heavy barrel.  For hunting elk I'd be using the Berger 156gr EOL.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 3:02:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#1]
Up to you, but I won’t stretch mine that far.  Most of mine are taken in timber anyway under 100.   I put mine together as a 300 yard gun.   If I’m hunting where I need to go longer, I have better tools.

The 45/70 does most of my work anymore.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/21/2022 3:35:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Tell your wife you need a 300 PRC
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 7:28:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends on the shot and your skill level. Standing broadside relaxed, known distance, good dope sure. Change angles, ranges, conditions or awareness maybe not.

All assuming you and your rifle are capable, good bullets and solid decision making.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 12:28:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Depends on your ability to shoot it well.

We hammer them all the time with 6.5's
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 10:16:25 PM EDT
[#5]
If you do your part, it will do fine.  Many elk have been killed with even smaller calibers.  

On the flip side, I saw a NM bull take 5 rounds of 190gr 300WM to the shoulder blade last year (even though I yelled at the shooter to stop shooting him in the shoulder blade after the 2nd shot).  

This 2020 bull went down to a 6.5CM.  I shot him twice, but im a believer in shooting them until they go down.  He was dead after the first, but didnt want him slipping over the next ridge.  293 yards.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 4:34:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice shooting, coregon (and nice bull at that!)

I did decide to move up in caliber.  I can shoot well out to 500 but I've never shot beyond that, so I won't take shots further than that on an animal.  But I have always had an affinity towards the .416 caliber rounds.  Decided to get a Weatherby Mark V Deluxe in 416 Weatherby Magnum.  With the 350gr Barnes TTSX it has a similar trajectory to a 30-06 shooting 180gr pills.  More than enough juice for any big game animal I'd want to take.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 1:18:32 PM EDT
[#7]
What 6.5 creed bullets are you guys using for elk?
I can't decide if I want to shoot my .270 or my 6.5 creed for my cow elk tag in December.
Really starting to over think it since this is my first elk tag.
Link Posted: 9/26/2022 11:01:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I took one last year at 700 yards with my 6.5cm. I used the Barnes LRX
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:38:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tornadochaser:
What 6.5 creed bullets are you guys using for elk?
I can't decide if I want to shoot my .270 or my 6.5 creed for my cow elk tag in December.
Really starting to over think it since this is my first elk tag.
View Quote

The Barnes LRX is a solid choice. As a second choice I would shoot an accubond. Either of those if they are accurate in your rifle.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SpeyRod:

The Barnes LRX is a solid choice. As a second choice I would shoot an accubond. Either of those if they are accurate in your rifle.
View Quote

I'll see if they are available locally.  Have 2 loads of nosler partition, and some barnes TTSX to try out at the range this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 11:26:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SpeyRod] [#11]

I'll see if they are available locally.  Have 2 loads of nosler partition, and some barnes TTSX to try out at the range this weekend.
View Quote

Clean and decopper the barrel well before shooting the Barnes. Historically they didn’t like the harder copper of cup and core bullets. From a clean bore they shoot great.
Link Posted: 9/30/2022 12:14:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Clean and decopper the barrel well before shooting the Barnes. Historically they didn’t like the harder copper of cup and core bullets. From a clean bore they shoot great.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Interesting- I have some nosler partitons, but haven’t shot any of them because they were so damned expensive.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:14:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I found the 140 gr bullets to shoot well from my 6.5, so I’m using some federal premium 140 stuff.  This winter I’ll cook up a good handload using those heavy bullets.  Cow tag for 2nd rifle coming up quick.
Top Top