Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/10/2023 11:05:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lorazepam]
I had mentioned doing something earlier this year like a portable weekend, bring field stuff and try out antenna ideas, other radios and general asshattery. There are some group sites available at yellowstone lake state park campground the end of the month, Oct 27 & 28, leave on the 29th. Sites have electric, plenty of places to put solar panels. Open space for antennas, and trees to hang them from. There won't be anyone else around, so we can do what we want with antennas for the most part. I can reserve a site, they hold up to 25, but we can take over the other spots for operating. Fire rings, picnic tables, nice level sites on top of the hill.
This is now on. May 10-12, 2024. The WI location is at Yellowstone Lake Campground, site 203.
If you have a regional event please add it to the thread.
50 amp service on the site, space for tents, awnings, etc. Several picnic tables as well a fire ring. Please say you are in when you know, so if we get a crowd we can try for another site.
If you need a tent, some will be available. There are trails for rucking, if you want to go set up remote after a hike. There is a public range at the park, pistol and rifle.

Sites
EDIT:
OK, I tried last week to reserve a site, and they were not taking reservations. I went up to the campground today to make sure which sites would be best and when I tried again, it appears they have all been reserved for this weekend. The weekend of the 10th and 11th are available, but the rest of the month is booked. I hope no one else has reserved anything yet.
Edit 2:
I have reserved site 203 in the group area. We are allowed up to 25 folks.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

This is the range located at the park. Pistol and two rifle ranges.
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 11:18:08 PM EDT
[#1]
If there are folks that want to see how HT's work, it would be a great time to let folks see just how they work, and how terrain limits range. Hell, do a special event, lol.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 10:12:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe.

I have a possible family commitment that weekend that I am standing by to get info on.

Link Posted: 10/11/2023 10:22:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Too far to drive and too close to plan to go. But I would be absolutely interested if I had more time.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 12:45:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SACraig] [#4]
Yea, a bit far to drive for me to.  But if you guys get things up and let me know when I'll be more than happy to see who I can work.  We should have guys around here to have a WMOTS (Worked Most Of The States) Award for the guys that attend.  I don't usually have issues with WI, especially on 40 meters, so I should be able to hit some of them at least.  I do have a commitment on Sunday afternoon (I volunteer at a rifle range as an RSO) but I'm available Friday and Saturday nights as well as all day Saturday.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 4:41:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ManiacRat:
Too far to drive and too close to plan to go. But I would be absolutely interested if I had more time.
View Quote

Basically my thoughts. At some point I'd like to go back up to WI to show the wife where I lived for a brief spell and to show off some of the stuff I saw and did up there. But need a bit more time to plan on that one.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 5:53:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lorazepam] [#6]
Well, It doesn't have to happen this month. I can look for open dates, and get two sites reserved for next year if that works for everyone.  Something like the middle of May is available.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 9:13:00 PM EDT
[#7]
If there's some advanced notice I certainly would do my best to make it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 9:35:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4HShooter] [#8]
I can't make that location, but I would be all in when it comes to setting up a local gulf coast meet and pota weekend. Why not try out a regional deal? I'm on the Mississippi gulf coast and we have some decent pota location with camping. Get a couple guys to bring campers (myself included) and we can do a regional net or just pota weekend.

Maybe we can come up with some Arfham special event call signs and fun awards

If anybody is interested, let's get that ball rolling. Possibly a once a season arfham pota gathering. P2P and hunter awards
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 10:06:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I activated Devil's Lake SP in WI not too far from there last week on the way into North Dakota.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 10:13:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 4HShooter:
I can't make that location, but I would be all in when it comes to setting up a local gulf coast meet and pota weekend. Why not try out a regional deal? I'm on the Mississippi gulf coast and we have some decent pota location with camping. Get a couple guys to bring campers (myself included) and we can do a regional net or just pota weekend.

Maybe we can come up with some Arfham special event call signs and fun awards

If anybody is interested, let's get that ball rolling. Possibly a once a season arfham pota gathering. P2P and hunter awards
View Quote
Now that, is definitely in the cards. I'm just a short drive across the boot from Mississippi. Have a new to me camper too.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 12:15:01 AM EDT
[#11]
It sounds like fun, but I am way out west and travel was so expensive even before the inflation that I haven't been back home to Louisiana in 16 years.  

No telling what the future will bring though.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 11:23:32 AM EDT
[#12]
So all you midwest guys, and other that may be interested what about setting a date so we can plan something in the spring? The group sites fill up pretty fast and It would be good to reserve them in advance.
Thursday May 16 to Saturday May 19 is open for now. I know these sites, nice and level, and on top of the hill.
Just checking interest.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 11:40:59 AM EDT
[#13]
You are going to have at least one CW OP aren't you?
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Frank_B:
View Quote

I can FlDigi at 100 WPM.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 12:32:40 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

I'm lucky to operate a microphone switch. You are welcome to come and show us how it works.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 4:23:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
...You are welcome to come and show us how it works.
View Quote

I wish I could, but that's a long way for an old fart to drive.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 4:32:38 PM EDT
[#17]

I wish I could, but that's a long way for an old fart to drive.
View Quote

I hear you. Especially if you are in E. TN.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 7:28:29 PM EDT
[#18]
A bit too far for us to drive, but it looks like a great POTA spot

Step one is to join POTA

https://parksontheair.com/

https://pota.app/#/map

Looks like TWO POTA spots are in that location

https://pota.app/#/park/K-1483

https://pota.app/#/park/K-4347

Link Posted: 10/12/2023 7:48:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Colt653:

A bit too far for us to drive, but it looks like a great POTA spot

Step one is to join POTA

https://parksontheair.com/

https://pota.app/#/map

Looks like TWO POTA spots are in that location

https://pota.app/#/park/K-1483

https://pota.app/#/park/K-4347

View Quote

It's a great spot. I have two activations, it was my first. I hunt a lot more but I want to change that. One of the state gun ranges is there as well.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 9:22:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I forgot I made plans to go to Dayton next May with a buddy. So it's probably out on going to Wisconsin too. Although I'd like to go there. Never been further north than Kansas in the Midwest.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 10:39:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#21]
Maybe if we can lock down a weekend further out, based upon interest, we can have more than one location.

The posted location is pretty easy for midwest for me since it is close major highways.

Link Posted: 10/12/2023 10:53:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Well maybe we can do a south central in Arkansas somewhere. It's only 5-6 hours for me.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 10:44:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Well maybe we can do a south central in Arkansas somewhere. It's only 5-6 hours for me.
View Quote

So do you guys want to pick a date and do regional events? It could get guys out west involved, AK and HI possible.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 11:09:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah I'm alright with discussions. For me I can go east to MS, north to Arkansas pretty easily.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 11:37:12 PM EDT
[#25]
I can go north to WI or south to Arkansas.

Arkansas has a bonus that I can also visit family while there
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 12:01:12 PM EDT
[#26]
At Lake Catherine State Park in Arkansas now. It's pretty and contender for SE or South Central meet up.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/15/2023 12:27:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Too close for 10m. Looks like a nice spot.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 1:29:26 PM EDT
[#28]
At Lake Catherine State Park in Arkansas now. It's pretty and contender for SE or South Central meet up.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/73718/D9F5D5C1-BF63-42DC-85C2-18364B2DD34A_jpe-2992708.JPG
View Quote

Looks wonderful

not seeing your park on the spotter

Link Posted: 10/15/2023 1:44:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#29]
I was on for about 10 mins or so. Just got a quick 14 and left. I'll be on again at Hot Springs Natl Park in a bit.

Which it's a weird ass place. The park is in town. Kinda confusing to navigate.

I'll do 40m at the Natl Park.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 3:15:12 PM EDT
[#30]
I was on for about 10 mins or so. Just got a quick 14 and left. I'll be on again at Hot Springs Natl Park in a bit.

Which it's a weird ass place. The park is in town. Kinda confusing to navigate.

I'll do 40m at the Natl Park.
View Quote

In the log

Link Posted: 10/17/2023 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Is this something we can make regional, and maybe invite folks through hometown forums? Let the baofeng folks get a taste of comms that can go from region to region? Have a friendly pota contest or arfcom contacts? I might make up some "prizes" that are radio related.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 12:44:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Winter field day is Jan 27/28.

You guys further north might have to build an igloo depending on snow.

Otherwise, a warmer month might bring more participation.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#33]
I was looking at the middle of may next spring. Give folks time to plan and decide if they want to come. Pretty mild time of year for everyone. Like May 16-19.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 4:38:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Cool. Those dates look good. Kinda sandwiched between mothers day and memorial day/

Link Posted: 10/17/2023 8:37:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Im game for may next year. It'll be a lot easier for me and my gang to do a south Mississippi pota camp. We can do arf2arf contacts and make a game of it
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 10:00:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By 4HShooter:
Im game for may next year. It'll be a lot easier for me and my gang to do a south Mississippi pota camp. We can do arf2arf contacts and make a game of it
View Quote
Where about in MS?
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 10:20:06 PM EDT
[#37]
If those dates are good with folks, I will check into reservations for sites that weekend.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 10:30:37 PM EDT
[#38]
We are about to pick 2024 vacation. I'll make sure I'm off regardless of where I end up going.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Bumping this back up to the top. I will see about getting sites reserved if folks are truly interested in taking part.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 1:15:01 PM EDT
[#40]
I will make something available in Central NY, either at my house, or at the hunting property. Or I will coordinate with the only other arfham I know, and do something by him. Maybe not camping, but on the air!

@dopple
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 5:09:37 PM EDT
[#41]
End of October eh?  Could be doing this in the snow.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 1:01:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Dopple:
End of October eh?  Could be doing this in the snow.
View Quote

May 16-19 2024. May 17-19 works too. It would be great to get regions involved, Activate parks, and have some fun.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 1:04:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#43]
Something like the middle of May is available.
View Quote

Middle of May is Hamvention. (May 17-19)

And planting season
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 9:18:49 AM EDT
[#44]
I had mentioned doing something earlier this year like a portable weekend, bring field stuff and try out antenna ideas, other radios and general asshattery. There are some group sites available at yellowstone lake state park campground the end of the month, Oct 27 & 28, leave on the 29th. Sites have electric, plenty of places to put solar panels. Open space for antennas, and trees to hang them from. There won't be anyone else around, so we can do what we want with antennas for the most part. I can reserve a site, they hold up to 25, but we can take over the other spots for operating. Fire rings, picnic tables, nice level sites on top of the hill.
I have rented a regular campsite and stayed at these instead, lol. One has a perfect pair of trees for a hammock.
I have a tent with a covered area big enough to set up a table, and could sleep 3 or 4, an awning on the Xterra that has a room that zips on, could be for operating or sleeping. I have a couple other tents as well. Sleeping bags, etc if needed. I have a 12v cooler/freezer 58qt, and other coolers. I can set up a hammock if anyone wants to try one.
I have a bunch of home made antennas, a few fishing poles, a throw bag and rope. Bring your gear, something to eat and drink, and let's get a group kilo, see what works, and what doesn't, and see how others do portable.
Sites
View Quote

What you're describing is ARRL FIELD DAY

June 22nd 2024

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 10:54:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Colt653:

What you're describing is ARRL FIELD DAY

June 22nd 2024

View Quote

It's pretty much the same thing, but for arfcom instead of arrl. If there is no real interest, I can just drop it. I was trying for a time that was not too hot for those in the south, and not too cold for those in the north.
I have come up with many dumb ideas in my lifetime, and I will not be offended if this one is deemed the same and shot down.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:21:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#46]
I did not realize Hamvention was the same weekend.

Not sure if I am going to Xenia yet.

It is hard to find a solid date that works around everything else sometimes.

I should probably buy a calendar one of these years :-)

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:31:54 PM EDT
[#47]
I considered going to hamvention, but it is a fur piece to travel, and any awesome deals would be eaten up by lodging and travel. Most presentations can be seen on youtube after it is over.
I don't think any date chosen will work for everyone, and if it doesn't happen, no big deal.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 7:18:54 PM EDT
[#48]

It's pretty much the same thing, but for arfcom instead of arrl. If there is no real interest, I can just drop it. I was trying for a time that was not too hot for those in the south, and not too cold for those in the north.
I have come up with many dumb ideas in my lifetime, and I will not be offended if this one is deemed the same and shot down.
View Quote

no, please don't drop it.

I did not mean to sound like I was against it.

It's a good idea

Link Posted: 10/30/2023 8:47:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Eh it's already sweaty swamp ass hot here by May. Not quite to 3 showers a day, but solidly two.  So no big deal there.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 10:31:40 PM EDT
[#50]
I will go ahead and reserve an rv campsite at buccaneer state park (k-2532 I think?) in south Mississippi for that weekend. If anybody else is interested message me and I will order more so we can get a regular old shanty town going.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top