Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 4:00:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 4HShooter:
I will go ahead and reserve an rv campsite at buccaneer state park (k-2532 I think?) in south Mississippi for that weekend. If anybody else is interested message me and I will order more so we can get a regular old shanty town going.
View Quote
I'll let ya know. That's not a bad drive for me at all.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 9:19:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Id like to commit to a vacation but 2024 is my last year of work. I will have my 30 years in and Im done. Ive been saving vacation and rolling over extra (LOL) for a few years planning on early retirement. My wife's health is failing and Im not sure what that entails so Id love to commit to a weekend but just can't predict where things will be in 6 months. If things change I will be there. Worst case I'll be on the air lookin for all y'all.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 10:11:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I took off the week after. I always have SSM off. Whether I stay local or drive over to MS, which is only about 4.5-5 hrs to the Gulfport area. My wife's schedule may change. So I can't fully commit just yet.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 3:40:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Update in OP
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 4:12:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I reserved a campsite at bucaneer state park k-2532 for may 10-12. Whether this happens or not I'll be there with the wife and kids to enjoy the weekend and do some casual pota.

The site I chose is off the water but low traffic and some shade is available.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 4:42:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I am considering getting a couple of regular sites since getting a group site for two nights is almost 140 bucks. That is stupid expensive for two nights in a state campground. Two nights camping for 5 at two different campsites is only 56 bucks.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 9:12:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
I am considering getting a couple of regular sites since getting a group site for two nights is almost 140 bucks. That is stupid expensive for two nights in a state campground. Two nights camping for 5 at two different campsites is only 56 bucks.
View Quote
Oh yeah camping isn't cheap at a state park. 113$ for two nights with a camper down here in MS. But hey, cheaper than a hotel. And A/C go get away from this humidity midday
Link Posted: 11/11/2023 10:44:55 PM EDT
[#8]
$113 for two nights?! Damn. It's only about $15-$25 in Texas depending on the park. Our go to is $20 night.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:50:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lorazepam] [#9]
A site here with no electricity is 28.00, plus a 7.95 reservation fee. I went ahead and reserved the group site. That way up to 25 folks can stay. Limit 6 for a regular site. If it looks like I will be the lone ranger, I can cancel, and get a regular site for much cheaper.
Edit: If anyone wants to add regional get togethers, please do so.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 9:45:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Colt653:

What you're describing is ARRL FIELD DAY

June 22nd 2024

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I had mentioned doing something earlier this year like a portable weekend, bring field stuff and try out antenna ideas, other radios and general asshattery. There are some group sites available at yellowstone lake state park campground the end of the month, Oct 27 & 28, leave on the 29th. Sites have electric, plenty of places to put solar panels. Open space for antennas, and trees to hang them from. There won't be anyone else around, so we can do what we want with antennas for the most part. I can reserve a site, they hold up to 25, but we can take over the other spots for operating. Fire rings, picnic tables, nice level sites on top of the hill.
I have rented a regular campsite and stayed at these instead, lol. One has a perfect pair of trees for a hammock.
I have a tent with a covered area big enough to set up a table, and could sleep 3 or 4, an awning on the Xterra that has a room that zips on, could be for operating or sleeping. I have a couple other tents as well. Sleeping bags, etc if needed. I have a 12v cooler/freezer 58qt, and other coolers. I can set up a hammock if anyone wants to try one.
I have a bunch of home made antennas, a few fishing poles, a throw bag and rope. Bring your gear, something to eat and drink, and let's get a group kilo, see what works, and what doesn't, and see how others do portable.
Sites

What you're describing is ARRL FIELD DAY

June 22nd 2024

For a more frosty experience of fun, in some parts of the country, Winter Field Day is 27 & 28 January.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 9:46:26 AM EDT
[#11]

no, please don't drop it.

I did not mean to sound like I was against it.

It's a good idea

View All Quotes

It's pretty much the same thing, but for arfcom instead of arrl. If there is no real interest, I can just drop it. I was trying for a time that was not too hot for those in the south, and not too cold for those in the north.
I have come up with many dumb ideas in my lifetime, and I will not be offended if this one is deemed the same and shot down.

no, please don't drop it.

I did not mean to sound like I was against it.

It's a good idea

This ^

Just pick a date, whoever. An play radio will.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 1:15:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Thinking about possible prizes. Shameless bump with bribery.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 4:51:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Keeping this out of the archives. Anyone given this any thought on how to get a regional thing going? Maybe work a net and see how successful it is with everyone portable.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 6:20:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I certainly plan on participating unless something crazy comes up in life.

I wont be able to commit to travel a long distance to meet up. Have to see how things line up a little closer to the dates.

April/May is stacking up quickly with commitments for personal and work.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 8:00:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I get it. I will bump this every month or so, more frequently as it gets closer. Any ideas from the group are welcome.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 9:05:58 AM EDT
[#16]
@lorazepam I have a camper site reserved in south Mississippi, call it the Gulf Coast Region pota parade.

Pending life, I will be there 100%.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 11:36:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By 4HShooter:
@lorazepam I have a camper site reserved in south Mississippi, call it the Gulf Coast Region pota parade.

Pending life, I will be there 100%.
View Quote

Awesome! At the very minimum, you and I can hurl insults at each other up and down the big muddy.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 2:30:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm probably going to end up somewhere also. May just stay local and hit a park nearby and camp. Just depends on home/kids so on.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 8:49:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: warp_foo] [#19]
Assuming I pass my tech and general tests on Jan 6, '24. I can be there. Total noob, but I can at least provide the comic relief.

m

ETA: Anyone from the Minneapolis/St. Paul area want to road trip with me?
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 2:31:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 2:48:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By warp_foo:
Assuming I pass my tech and general tests on Jan 6, '24. I can be there. Total noob, but I can at least provide the comic relief.

m
View Quote
Everyone was new once. Some of us not that long ago too. POTA is a good place to start. Most everyone is super nice, it's easy and it's outdoors if you activate so it's fun.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 3:47:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By ManiacRat:
Everyone was new once. Some of us not that long ago too. POTA is a good place to start. Most everyone is super nice, it's easy and it's outdoors if you activate so it's fun.
View All Quotes

m
Passed tech and general this morning.

m
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 4:03:48 PM EDT
[#23]

m
View All Quotes

m

m

Now the greatest test of all. Navigating the FCC website.

Welcome to Ham/POTA.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 5:18:08 PM EDT
[#24]

m
View Quote
Welcome new ham!

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 5:43:14 PM EDT
[#25]

m
View Quote
Congrats! Welcome. Get out there and see what interests you. It's a massive hobby.
Link Posted: 1/7/2024 2:41:21 AM EDT
[#26]

m
View Quote

congrats
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 12:15:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Bouncing this back up to the top. Has anyone thought about how we can try multiple locations and maybe have regional "contests"?
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Bouncing this back up to the top. Has anyone thought about how we can try multiple locations and maybe have regional "contests"?
View Quote
...someone should trademark POTAwarriortm .

m
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 12:35:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Let me know when you guys want to come up for the Alaska edition.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 10:29:58 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

I dont have any ideas for the contest; but I still have the dates on my calendar.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 12:35:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rssc] [#31]
I can (try to) grab a campsite at a park in Florida around the Tampa/Sarasota area on the same days. Let me know if anyone in the area wants to join in???
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:27:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Bump
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 6:23:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks, I was going to do this today. It looks like I will most likely be by myself at yellowstone, and if nobody speaks up I am going to change from group camping to a single campsite. Kind of silly to pay 140.00 for group camping if there is no group.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 6:31:09 PM EDT
[#34]
I wont be able to travel a great distance, as I will be traveling a lot for hamvention the following week.

I will organize a group here.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 6:50:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Shootindave:
I wont be able to travel a great distance, as I will be traveling a lot for hamvention the following week.

I will organize a group here.
View Quote

I understand that. There can be up to 5 campers per site, so even if some folks want to come, they can stay on the regular site.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:52:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Bump for visibility
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:10:18 AM EDT
[#37]
So does anyone want to try and set something up later this year that may get more participation? I plan on going out, it's been a long winter, and a couple of nights out playing radio will be nice. I will have multiple antennas to try with low power. I will be using no more than 50w, mostly 10-20. My goal is to see how well I can get out, and how long I can go without shore power for the radios.
Maybe pick an east, central, south, and west location, along with Alaska.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 12:38:52 PM EDT
[#38]
It is still my intention to setup locally on 5/11 but I do have something up in the air for that day I am waiting to hear back on.

Hoping to have at least one other guy showing up. He does not post here, but has an account.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:28:03 PM EDT
[#39]
I have that weekend off.  I should be available most of it.  The boy and I may have to go camping
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:01:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Does anyone want to do a CQ arfcom this weekend? We can spot here, and see how many contacts we can make between each other. Folks at home can play as well.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:42:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Looks like this weekend is gunna be shot for me. I will be busy fri night thru sun morning
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:50:13 AM EDT
[#42]
I meant on May 10-11. Sorry for the poor choice of words.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:27:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Maybe. Would depend on the day. Shooting a match Saturday and then working a little OT Saturday night. We may be going to the beach on Sunday afternoon. That's also a state park.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:14:36 PM EDT
[#44]
One week from today. Does anyone have plans?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:37:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Hoping to be on the air Friday. Saturday is not looking good for free time,
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#46]
forecast says 62 during the day, and 40's at night. Possible rain.  This might suck.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 5:31:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#47]
forecast says 62 during the day, and 40's at night. Possible rain.  This might suck.
View Quote

It is probably going to suck because of the solar storms produced by the CMEs

the kp index is going to be 8.3 on saturday for a bit

I was thinking of going camping today and tomorrow to play radio but it doesnt look good
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:53:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Boy I can sure pick the weekend, can't I? A rainy mother's day weekend with big solar flares.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:56:34 AM EDT
[#49]
It's a Hoedown! No it's a hootenanny! | Family Guy
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 1:07:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Getting loaded up and ready to go see how it goes. I hope the clouds go away enough to get a chance to see the aurora. I will do mostly 20m and higher, and see how ft8 does. Not sure if I will have any phone or internet service via hotspot.
Wish me luck.
Page / 3
Top Top