Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2023 3:03:00 PM EDT
I’m looking for a new deer rifle in .308. I was pretty much set on a Ruger Gunsite Scout with an XS rail, which I can get NIB for $955 including tax. Here’s where things took a turn. I asked my sister for a sling for my birthday and received a text weeks later, after my birthday, saying that she didn’t want to have any gun stuff “on her conscience” so she didn’t buy me anything. It got me thinking about picking up a Fulton Armory barreled M14 action for $1300 instead, and building that out… just because it’s extra scary. Plus, I’ve always wanted an M14/M1A as a fun gun to go with my Garand and ARs. Should I go ahead and get the GSR and save the M14/M1A for later?
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 3:06:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I’ve hunted with an M1A and a Ruger GSR. I’d rather take the Ruger hunting.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 3:12:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, obsolete platform.  Expect when you stick a bayonet on the end!  Then it’s a killing machine waiting to genocide hippies!

18Z50….M-14 owner.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 3:20:59 PM EDT
[#3]
They are pretty cool, but you know the answer for hunting.  Get something you can get an optic on easier.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 3:24:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I have shot a few of the Ruger GSRs and they have all been pretty disappointing in the accuracy department so I always give them a no vote. I used to have a Springfield m1a scout, cool rifle, pretty accurate but not my favorite ergos and a real pain to mount optics on.

I would suggest a more standard bolt rifle if you want to go that route, maybe a Ruger American predator in 308, they get great accuracy reviews (don't know why they can't rub some of that on the GSR) and the couple I have shot are accurate as well.

If you want something to ruffle your sisters feathers maybe just get an AR10, that's what I do most of my deer hunting with these days. Great ergos, easy optics attachment, tons of accessories out there for them.

just my .02 ymmv.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 3:28:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I mean if its what you want and you are paying for it..

I always say get what you want, heck with everyone else...
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#6]
If you like it and are proficient with it then it is a good fit for you.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 3:58:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I think they are pretty fun for hog and deer hunting. Go for it OP. I had a Scout Squad I did quite a bit of hunting with.

Slap a Bassett Machine mount on it and like a 3-9 scope and it's plenty accurate for that stuff.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#8]

This is the Ruger 308 you want for hunting.  The new SFAR.  Its about the same size as a 5.56 AR15.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 5:19:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I’ve got an Aero M5E1 that I’m really happy with as a fully modern .308. The Ruger SFAR (and the DPMS G2 and the POF R-guns) doesn’t really tempt me for weight savings.

The M1A SOCOM II was the first gun that I thought looked cool, before I was old enough to buy one. I’m not really interested in hanging a quad rail from an M1A anymore, but I definitely still want an M1A or M14 of some kind. Definitely going to get one at some point for nostalgia.

For this .308, I’m looking for: traditional stock, not a lever action, scope mount above the action, and iron sights as back up. The Skinner Sights scout rail and a Tikka T3X or Ruger American Predator were options, but I’m solidly in between the Ruger Gunsite Scout and XS rail or the M14/M1A and Sadlak mount for this purchase.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By masiaka:
I’ve got an Aero M5E1 that I’m really happy with as a fully modern .308. The Ruger SFAR (and the DPMS G2 and the POF R-guns) doesn’t really tempt me for weight savings.

The M1A SOCOM II was the first gun that I thought looked cool, before I was old enough to buy one. I’m not really interested in hanging a quad rail from an M1A anymore, but I definitely still want an M1A or M14 of some kind. Definitely going to get one at some point for nostalgia.

For this .308, I’m looking for: traditional stock, not a lever action, scope mount above the action, and iron sights as back up. The Skinner Sights scout rail and a Tikka T3X or Ruger American Predator were options, but I’m solidly in between the Ruger Gunsite Scout and XS rail or the M14/M1A and Sadlak mount for this purchase.
View Quote

I will add this to my original post. If you are 100% only picking between the GSR and the m1a I would go m1a because all the GSRs I have ever shot have been steaming piles, just my anecdotal experience.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 7:56:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 8:16:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I have m14's, but would definitely prefer a Ruger SFAR for hunting and just about everything else.

They are lighter than a SCAR17.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 8:24:55 PM EDT
[#13]
You won’t enjoy carrying a scoped M1-A for any distance.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 3:46:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Idiot?
No, I would not say that.
I just think if you have a lighter more practical hunting rifle available it would be a much lighter and better choice.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 4:23:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I love an M1A for the nostalgia... but there are lots of limitations.  If you want a scary rifle to hunt with, I'd choose an SFAR.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 7:16:26 PM EDT
[#16]
An M1A/M14 is a great addition to a collection. Since I have AR10s, an M14-type wouldn't be my first choice for a hunting rifle, but one with a red dot is very handy and definitely capable.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 10:26:29 AM EDT
[#17]
If you were planning on buying a new scope for the new rifle you should spend the extra $3-400 on a BETTER scope instead of a more expensive gun you’ll need a scope for.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:
I’ve hunted with an M1A and a Ruger GSR. I’d rather take the Ruger hunting.
View Quote

This. The GSR is more handy and carryable by a good deal. Terminal performance is identical. The M1A is cool for sure, but is unwieldy heavy if you’re carrying it hunting for much distance. I like hunting with irons too, but if you want to hunt scoped, the Ruger is just easier to do that with. Unless you want to upgrade to an M21 LRB receiver.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 11:27:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Killed the biggest buck of my life with an M1A, I used it to commerate my FIL's passing and last hunt in his woods. He carried one in vietnam USMC, and liked shooting mine so it made sense.

For regular hunting I would probably get the GSR as it's much easier to scope and handle.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#20]
It’s heavy for what it is, and the safety can be loud or clunky to manipulate.

I’d much rather go with a lightweight ar pattern in 308 like the Ruger SFR
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 1:08:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sajer] [#21]
I carried my M1a with scope around the UP for a deer season and by day two I was regretting that decision. Besides being heavy , it seemed to get caught on every freaking branch. The party I was with laughed at me when I showed up , but I didn't show any hatred or indication I made a bad decision to them.

I did run stumble into a sleeping bear that season and was glad to have the semi in hand , though not needed.

Link Posted: 8/2/2023 11:07:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By durtychemist:
If you were planning on buying a new scope for the new rifle you should spend the extra $3-400 on a BETTER scope instead of a more expensive gun you’ll need a scope for.
View Quote

Sound and solid advice.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 1:08:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: masiaka] [#23]
Okay, you all have convinced me to get the M1A *after* the deer rifle. Gunsite Scout and a Vortex Viper first, then the M1A and an Aimpoint to pay tribute to Randy Shughart. If I want to punish myself, I can take my .308 Garand out for a day.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 5:07:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Okay, you all have convinced me to get the M1A *after* the deer rifle. Gunsite Scout and a Vortex Viper first, then the M1A and an Aimpoint to pay tribute to Randy Shughart. If I want to punish myself, I can take my .308 Garand out for a day.
View Quote

My man.
Link Posted: 8/19/2023 2:50:29 AM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

I took my first deer in 1990 with the only rifle I had at the time, a blue sky import M1 Garand.
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 8:25:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Sajer:
I carried my M1a with scope around the UP for a deer season and by day two I was regretting that decision. Besides being heavy , it seemed to get caught on every freaking branch. The party I was with laughed at me when I showed up , but I didn't show any hatred or indication I made a bad decision to them.

I did run stumble into a sleeping bear that season and was glad to have the semi in hand , though not needed.

View Quote

I had the exact experience when I took my M1A on a deer hunt up around Bemidji MN. Heavy rifle to be lugging through the woods, and that distinctive loud "clack" when you pushed the safety off. I bought a Browning BAR hunting rifle in 30-06 the next summer and had a Williams peep sight mounted on it. Much better choice for deer hunting.
Gary
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 9:20:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 9:40:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Not an idiot. Buy what you like and support the companies that still offer them. I have an M1A loaded (parkerized with synthetic stock), and my dad has an M1A loaded (stainless barrel and wood stock). He deeply regretted trading his M1A National Match from back in the 90s.

I enjoy the rifle, wouldn't mind grabbing a scout squad for a slightly shorter barrel.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 10:23:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By jagdkommando:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/146923/IMG_2454-2892710.jpg

This is the Ruger 308 you want for hunting.  The new SFAR.  Its about the same size as a 5.56 AR15.
View Quote

@jagdkommando …very nice  

Buut I’ve been there and done that.. except I chose 6.8 spc.

However, if you’re forced to choose to hunt with a scary weapon, this here is the way👆

In my AO, thick underbrush filled hardwoods and cattail wetlands at subzero temps, the AR platform is not my cup of tea. When it comes to hunting I’m a fudd gun type of fella.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 9:01:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#30]
I have a few M14 rifles.  

I keep a hunting battery ready for the season, I change things up from year to year but a two or three gun battery has at least on non scoped foul weather gun.  A gun that won’t have a scope ocular filled with snow or misted on water.  Yea, I know they make scope caps but I broke my fair share of those through the years.  

Anyways I have two such rainy day stalking rifles, one being an 18” barreled LRB in a USGI fiberglas stock.  Iron sights and a five round mag.  (The other is my dad’s old Marlin 336 .30-30.   I the the LRB is lighter or at least feels handier than the 336.   Frankly the M14 is much easier to dry out thoroughly after getting soaked than the 336, plus no wood to risk swelling and promote rust later.

Edit, oh, and if you want to quietly take a M14/M1a off of safe simply pinch the front and back of the safety and control it as you move it forward.  Assuming you have time to be slow and deliberate like that.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 12:24:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Get the LRB M25 then you can mount a scope and still have your M14 pattern rifle.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 9:00:22 PM EDT
[#32]
m1a may not turn out as accurate as you want it to be for hunting. A scoped m1a is gonna be a beast to carry if you are planning on humping it.

I've carried lighter guns and heavier guns. If I have to walk a lot, ill stick with the lighter guns. If I have a destination and a short walk I might go heavier.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 10:59:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Whoever said Ruger, you cost me.

This thing is incredible.  120 flawless rounds first time out.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 8:39:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Mags rattle.   Kinda  unwieldy for the woods.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 6:46:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hasher1] [#35]
Idiot?

I don’t think so.

I do think it is a LOT of weight to lug very far in the woods. They also take some $$$ to get. Good scope mount for them.

I have both M1A’s and scout rifles. The Ruger worh a 1-8 or 2-10 would be my choice.

I see you are in the south. Any 150 grcup and core bullet or a Nosler BT in the same weight will do you just fine till you get to where the deer are larger.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Idiot? No.

Ideal? No

Cool? Yes.

Do it. And post lots of pictures.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 11:26:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wspe1] [#37]
Did you ever get a M1A type rifle?
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 11:38:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By smullen:
I mean if its what you want and you are paying for it..

I always say get what you want, heck with everyone else...
View Quote

Agreed 100%, last two deer I harvested was with an m1a. Fantastic rifle and experience.

Stupidly traded it a few years later when I stopped hunting but I fixed that last year. Love my m1a!!!
Top Top