Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2024 8:37:18 PM EDT
I'll be getting a pair of antennas install onto my roof shortly, but before I do so, I thought I'd run my plan through here and see if I've left anything out I should consider.

Xiegu VG-4 for HF
Diamond V2000a for 6m/2m/70cm

Both will have common mode chokes and be terminated outside to a junction box. Inside the box, the coax will inline with lightning arresters, with a bulkhead fitting to bring the signal in through the exterior wall. All components installed into the junction box will be grounded to a copper ground spike.

I have a small yard with very little room and I'm bordered by electrical wiring - so, no towers.

I've never installed antennas before, so what am I leaving out?

Thanks

m

Link Posted: 10/10/2024 8:45:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Make sure to tie the ground spike  at the junction box to your home service ground.
Link Posted: 10/10/2024 9:05:05 PM EDT
[#2]
How to set up your Xiegu VG4 Multiband antenna.
Link Posted: 10/11/2024 7:31:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies. I've had the VG-4 tuning video bookmarked for a while.

m
Link Posted: 10/11/2024 8:01:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Frank_B] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chumpmiester:
Make sure to tie the ground spike  at the junction box to your home service ground.
View Quote

Very important!
If not tied together, a nearby lightning strike or distribution line ground fault can induce hundreds or even thousands of Volts difference between your house ground and antenna ground.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top