Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/9/2017 8:34:59 AM EDT
I’ve found a few by Eberlestock (sp?) but I don’t think I want to go down that route. Just looking for a backpack that a rifle can attach to the side with clips and probably have something the butt of the rifle stock can rest on so it doesn’t sneak down over time. I’m almost certain I’ve seen these before but haven’t had luck with my searches. What are you using?
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 9:29:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I spend All September in the high country, archery elk.    Got tired of the 100-200$ packs beating my ass, as I spend nearly every day out on foot covering some sick terrain.

Ended up going with Kuiu this year.  No regrets at all.  The bow carrier is pretty nice, but I cannot remove the bow with the pack on.

They have a similar Rifle carrier for their packs.   Either one will work on the side of the pack, and that method may allow access from a slung pack but I end up off trail so much I don’t want anything like a bow hanging up on the side.

Kuiu.com will answer all your questions.  They are really well made, carbon fiber frame and any bag works with one frame/suspension.

Half the weight of any comparable packs too.

A plus is being able to slingload an elk quarter between the bag and frame.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 10:50:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry OP but I do use Eberlestock.
I just looked at those Kuius, seem pretty nice too.
Kifaru makes a nice pack that many guys use too.

Why don't you like the Eberlestocks?
I have two different models, the fit and form on them are perfect for me along with their ability to play multiple roles depending on my application.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 2:15:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry OP but I do use Eberlestock.
I just looked at those Kuius, seem pretty nice too.
Kifaru makes a nice pack that many guys use too.

Why don't you like the Eberlestocks?
I have two different models, the fit and form on them are perfect for me along with their ability to play multiple roles depending on my application.
View Quote
Thanks for the feedback so far. I may have made a few poor assumptions. I thought the Eberlestock packs may not be as comfortable since the pack itself isn’t between your back and the rifle from the way it looks. Secondly, my hunting rifle has a suppressor and bipod. I figured carrying it with the barrel up would make the most sense. Have you used Eberlestock packs carrying either of the two items attached? It might work out better than what I see in my head.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 3:44:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I use a badlands 2200 and love it. It has a pop out to hold your rifle by the butt and then clipped secure. Not much less than a gunslinger but a nice pack.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 5:49:28 PM EDT
[#5]
With my normal BDL rifles I use for hunting I slide them in the way as shown, no attachments added just scopes.
My AR has a bipod on it and other than not being as smooth to get in and out, it also works, just not as "easy" as I would have thought.
Carrying the rifles barrel up will be non-issue, just will have a little void in the bottom of the scabbard.
As for the way it sits in the pack, mine is between the frame and body of the pack itself, I can feel it a bit but not very much. Thats usually with a 40lb minimum pack, usually 60+lb.

On my Eberlestock Skycrane, I usually just strap my AR or synthetic rifles to the exterior tightening bands compressing it into the pack.

On Eberlestocks website the Dragonfly has a picture representing it better.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:02:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought an Eberlestock H2 Gunrunner last year, and I hate it. It's not particularly comfy or stable. I hate that the lid flops around and that you can only access the main compartment through the top. I regret purchasing it.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 12:43:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an exo mt gear pack, and it has large side pockets.  Carried muzzle up a rifle fits ok.  They also have a gun carrier but it likely won't be universal fit.  

For universal fit, here's one example and I'm sure there are others.

https://store.kifaru.net/mobile/gun-bearers-p30.aspx

Bottom line, I personally wouldn't pick a pack based on its ability to pack a rifle.  I'd figure out how to make my pack carry a rifle.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 1:40:19 PM EDT
[#8]
@fishsticks
Quoted:
I have an exo mt gear pack
View Quote
I don't need another pack but that is something I might be interested in, can you please give us/me a full run down on it besides what I just watched on their site?
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 6:07:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
@fishsticks

I don't need another pack but that is something I might be interested in, can you please give us/me a full run down on it besides what I just watched on their site?
View Quote
It's a modular system similar but quite different than kifaru.  The frame portion is one size, there are 3 bag sizes and several belt sizes.  It's a comfy well built pack, limited pockets which you may like or not.  You can open the bag from the frame to make a meat pack shelf.  They're a small outfit with long lead times.  I have the 5200 and have packed out 1/2 a caribou and 1/2 mule deer and my gear with no issues.  If you can load it and get it on the pack with take it in stride.

My real point wasn't to sell anyone on the pack, but rather to point out options for carrying a rifle with about any pack.

I'd be glad to answer specific questions if someone has them, but their website has several good videos on the packs and features.  I'd rank them right up there with mystery ranch, stone glacier and kifaru for top of the line hardcore hunting packs.  Not cheap, but durable, comfortable and functional.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 2:29:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Looked into some of the Eberlestock packs. Does anyone have experience with the Gunrunner? Small pack but I think it would be adequate for my use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top