Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2024 11:42:52 AM EDT
As I'm starting to get opportunities to listen to HF, I'm hearing all kinds of made up phonetic alphabet usage.  

As retired military, it makes my mind pause to understand the made up phonetics.  I used to mix up police phonetics with military phonetics, now I'm pretty used to both.  Not used to random words though.  Anyone else even notice this?

Just a funny observation.
Link Posted: 10/7/2024 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/7/2024 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#2]
This is just hams trying to be funny and/or creative.

It's also a technique for catching a DX station's ear during a pileup. If there's twenty stations calling blah, blah, Oscar, blah, blah, and you say "Ocean" instead, it can often attract the DX station's attention to you.

It can also help when a station is having difficulty copying your call. You might say your call three times with the proper and official phonetic words and they are still not getting it. Then you do it with some made up words and it all clicks.

Link Posted: 10/7/2024 12:21:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Since I got back into HF I have found that in times of high noise level in the band pronouncing a letter different then NATO alphabet sometimes help. Not sure if it is just my ears or if it really helps. I listened and worked a lot of contacts where the operator started out with NATO alphabet and the needed to switch out some phonetics after repeating several times and then it worked. Not sure it might have been also just the receiving operator...
Link Posted: 10/7/2024 1:07:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I have had to learn two different phonetics. A blend of old phonetics, still used in public service / emergency services…… and post ww2/current nato phonetics. I try to use correct, current model but my mind gets twisted sometimes.

If I hear a DX station use something else, since some words are easier for them, I adjust to their operating style and use their version.

Attachment Attached File

https://deltatangodxgroup.com/2023/04/18/nato-phonetic-alphabet/
Link Posted: 10/7/2024 1:43:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I prefer the usage of the Nato Alphabet as a way of clearly enunciating as thats what I remember from the books and materials I read preparing me for the Tech test or it seems like it.  Why else would I have memorized it.

However, I don't get bent outta shape if I hear some made up crap.

What cracks me up is I'll hear some of the old guys do that week after week, then come unglued on a new operator for operating a bit outta their range or calling CQ on a repeater or some other silly infraction, or just not operating the way they prefer..

To me, those guys are not much different than the liberals choosing which laws they don't like (and won't enforce) and which Amendments they don't like and continuously try to kill or neuter...
Link Posted: 10/7/2024 1:44:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Wangdangler Toothless Furry are you talking about?  
Link Posted: 10/7/2024 2:39:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K9-Bob] [#7]
Stick to NATO phonetics. Especially when DXing. It makes it much easier for the non-native speaking station to copy your call sign. Ridiculous phonetics makes you sound like a dumb CBer or LID.
Link Posted: 10/7/2024 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#8]
ITU or the common DX phonetics as an alternative on HF, leave the silly stuff for repeaters. And leave the APCO stuff on the APCO frequencies.
Link Posted: 10/7/2024 7:14:57 PM EDT
[#9]
If I have to I always use NATO, I learned it in the Army and see no need to complicate the matter by using something else.
Link Posted: 10/7/2024 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#10]
The (almost) ONLY place I use the WW2 alphabet is on the Arfnet.

While working DX I GENERALLY use NATO but when weak signals come to push or shove I use the DX alphabet or whatever it takes.

I once got a DXpedition QSO by repeating my suffix three times, in NATO, DX, and WW2. I was amazed to hear him confirm in WW2. For DX and weak signals it's whatever it takes.

Link Posted: 10/7/2024 9:14:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/7/2024 10:10:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Frank_B] [#12]
I'm a 99-44/100ths pure CW op, but when I do use voice, it's the NATO/ARRL alphabet.
Link Posted: 10/7/2024 10:13:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: vahog] [#13]
TNC, I have to try to memorize that one.

I always liked the Royal Navy WWI alphabet that started Apples Butter and included Xerxes. At one time I could do it. I can still do my email address.
Link Posted: 10/7/2024 10:29:51 PM EDT
[#14]
K as in Knight
N as in Night

D as in Double-you
S as in Sea

Z, zee last letter of the alphabet
Link Posted: 10/12/2024 1:58:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#15]
I almost forgot a little tidbit on phonetics. Not that anyone is likely to come across it...

Before FT8 came along the only folks that used or cared about the Maidenhead grid squares were weak signal (CW/SSB) VHF types. When giving grid squares they were almost always given using alternative phonetics, so that the grid square phonetics wouldn't get confused for part of a callsign. About the only time I ever heard APCO phonetics on amateur radio was for grid squares in VHF contests and the like,  where they were actually very common at one time, or sometimes just the last of the two. US grid squares mostly all end in L, M, or N, so Lincoln, Mary and Nancy were typical. VHF contests often have some very weak signals with fading, and every little bit helped in trying to distinguish what you were hearing.
Link Posted: 10/12/2024 2:14:08 AM EDT
[#16]
I try to never use the same word twice. its like women with dresses. I dont want to have people see me being poor.
Link Posted: 10/12/2024 6:52:45 AM EDT
[#17]
This is what I use.
Seems to work good, but I don't talk too much on the radio.
YMMV

A as in Are

B as in Bay

C as in Cay

D as in Day

E as in Eight

F as in Four

G as in Gay

H as in Hay

I as in Ire

J as in Jay

K as in Kay

L as in Lay

M as in May

N as in Nine

O as in One

P as in Pay

Q as in Quay

R as in Ray

S as in Say

T as in Too

U as in Ule

V as in Vie

W as in Why

X as in Xi

Y as in You

Z as in Zee
Link Posted: 10/12/2024 9:28:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Some funny posts in here.

I use the NATO one with 2 exceptions:

1. When the other station is having a really hard time getting one of my call sign letters. The first letter in my call is A, and for some reason that one is the most troublesome for weak DX. After failing repeatedly with Alpha, I may say America, and they'll usually get that one. I will do similar with other letters if they become problematic, but having to do this is rare.

2. Trying to break through a pile-up. After being at it for a while without success, I will sometimes use various other words, in the hope that the DX operator's ear will catch something different and come back to me. Mixed results.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 11:24:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By piccolo:
The (almost) ONLY place I use the WW2 alphabet is on the Arfnet.

While working DX I GENERALLY use NATO but when weak signals come to push or shove I use the DX alphabet or whatever it takes.

I once got a DXpedition QSO by repeating my suffix three times, in NATO, DX, and WW2. I was amazed to hear him confirm in WW2. For DX and weak signals it's whatever it takes.

View Quote

I always use NATO, unless I'm talking to this guy.
Link Posted: 10/15/2024 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#20]
King dog 9 oboe charlie love, lol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top