Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2024 5:36:40 PM EDT
I've never seen as many grown a$$ men drive their compact cars into waist deep water, stall them, then climb up on the roof and call for a water rescue and wait for them......  People walking up to their car to see if they are ok, and walk away with the guys just sitting on the roof waiting for a fire truck or police to come "rescue" them.  I can at least understand if it is an 85 yr old grannie, but come on guys.  Several of these "rescues" were 30 feet from dry ground......  Just unbelievable.

I don't think we have a chance as a nation.  At least not until Darwin weeds some of these folks out.  

Doc
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 5:43:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Toss him some emergency rescue battery cables hook them up to and turn on the generator.  Tell him to hold the shiny spot.

In Texas Minecraft.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 5:45:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Perhaps you could drop a link?
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 5:47:06 PM EDT
[#3]
EV thread?
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 5:54:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Not a fan of wasting my time watching other peoples problems.

Link Posted: 7/8/2024 6:21:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've never seen as many grown a$$ men drive their compact cars into waist deep water, stall them, then climb up on the roof and call for a water rescue and wait for them......  People walking up to their car to see if they are ok, and walk away with the guys just sitting on the roof waiting for a fire truck or police to come "rescue" them.  I can at least understand if it is an 85 yr old grannie, but come on guys.  Several of these "rescues" were 30 feet from dry ground......  Just unbelievable.

I don't think we have a chance as a nation.  At least not until Darwin weeds some of these folks out.  

Doc
View Quote

The water'll hafta be deeper.

In my town we have this freeway. I-17. Only place it goes in the Nation is just past downtown Phoenix on the south, dead ends a few hunnert miles north of Phoenix at I-40 (eastie-westie interstate at Flagstaff) State Troopers call it "The Ditch". Much of it's length in mostly downtown it was below surface grade for noise mitigation or, rather than put in an overpass, they sunk the freeway so the east-west road was at surface grade.
The Ditch.
A few miles north of downtown, for some odd reason, they stopped doing it that way and put I-17 on overpasses instead of the other way round. At those roads that cross it east-west...you guessed it, underpasses.
There is no why LOL.

All of these low crossings have huge pumps that automatically start when the water starts filling up the under passes. Occasionally these don't work because there was a failure in the starting or the drains got blocked up with trash, etc so during our summer "monsoon" (F-U Dewey Hopper LOL) it's not unusual for these areas to fill up and drown a few cars. I personally have seen cars in the water at the level of the roof. Sometimes there's people sitting on them or standing on the hood...which is totally underwater.
One would think driving into an area like that people would stop before the damn thing was drowned.

Darn.
Water's not deep enough.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 7:00:10 PM EDT
[#6]
A highway around 'flooded' a few years ago.

The local news showed some guy sitting on the hood of his car and the firemen threw him a rope which he held onto and walked to the shoulder of the road.

The water was ankle deep.  
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 7:20:36 PM EDT
[#7]
So many people are helpless. Quite a few on this site too. Welcome to America today.

If you have a link to some footage I’d watch it. Always up for a good laugh.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Today was a good day to stay inside. I usually always go to work. But not today, ha
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 7:55:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I have no power and it’s GHEY
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
EV thread?
View Quote

Speaking of that, how peeps in Houston gonna charge their EVs with no power due to widespread power outages. Gas stations can run off a generator. How long would it take to charge an EV from a genset?

Link Posted: 7/8/2024 9:52:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 10:21:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 10:33:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You'd think Houston would learn.

They just went through this a few months ago.
View Quote

There is a constant influx of new people who aren’t familiar with cities that utilize their roadways as part of the storm water drainage system.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 6:30:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Houston is run by and filled with idiots. They will never learn but they will cry loudly when they become victims of their own stupidity.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 6:42:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd bet 50% of driven and drowned vehicles are ''on purpose'' to get out from under some stupidly high car payment.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 6:48:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Houston is run by and filled with idiots. They will never learn but they will cry loudly when they become victims of their own stupidity.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That place is a disgusting shit hole filled with rude, disgusting people.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 11:21:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Speaking of that, how peeps in Houston gonna charge their EVs with no power due to widespread power outages. Gas stations can run off a generator. How long would it take to charge an EV from a genset?

View Quote

I would doubt that a gas station generator is wired to provide electric to a EV charger.  It would have to be massively oversized compared to a generator sized for the normal use of running lights, refrigeration, registers, and fuel pumps.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 4:45:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The water'll hafta be deeper.

In my town we have this freeway. I-17. Only place it goes in the Nation is just past downtown Phoenix on the south, dead ends a few hunnert miles north of Phoenix at I-40 (eastie-westie interstate at Flagstaff) State Troopers call it "The Ditch". Much of it's length in mostly downtown it was below surface grade for noise mitigation or, rather than put in an overpass, they sunk the freeway so the east-west road was at surface grade.
The Ditch.
A few miles north of downtown, for some odd reason, they stopped doing it that way and put I-17 on overpasses instead of the other way round. At those roads that cross it east-west...you guessed it, underpasses.
There is no why LOL.

All of these low crossings have huge pumps that automatically start when the water starts filling up the under passes. Occasionally these don't work because there was a failure in the starting or the drains got blocked up with trash, etc so during our summer "monsoon" (F-U Dewey Hopper LOL) it's not unusual for these areas to fill up and drown a few cars. I personally have seen cars in the water at the level of the roof. Sometimes there's people sitting on them or standing on the hood...which is totally underwater.
One would think driving into an area like that people would stop before the damn thing was drowned.

Darn.
Water's not deep enough.
View Quote

Damn, Dewey Hopper is a name I have not heard in a long time.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 5:03:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
You charge your EV at home from your off-grid capable solar system
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 5:40:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/11/2024 5:09:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you recall a bit of history, after hurricane Katrina, lots of people from the New Orleans area relocated to Houston.  Many of these were likely the less prepared, less financed type of people.  It was probably not to Houston's benefit to get an influx of people with so many needs and no means.  

Hurricane Katrina - Houston
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 9:19:03 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm just amazed at the number of people bitching in less than 24hrs that their power still wasn't on...

And realize that this was only a Cat 1 hurricane. Imagine the wailing and whining and gnashing of teeth if Beryl had been a stronger storm!
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 12:07:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 12:26:29 PM EDT
[#24]
I was actually discussing this with someone from DPS at the SWIC's office yesterday while we were watching DroneSense feeds of some of the rescues (and some of the border ops) on TAK yesterday. We both were deployed in some fashion during Harvey (him as a COMT and me as a THSP) and his question was don't they remember Harvey? My response was, how many people have moved to the Houston area since October of 2018...especially from non-gulf states that don't see hurricanes?
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 12:30:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I was actually discussing this with someone from DPS at the SWIC's office yesterday while we were watching DroneSense feeds of some of the rescues (and some of the border ops) on TAK yesterday. We both were deployed in some fashion during Harvey (him as a COMT and me as a THSP) and his question was don't they remember Harvey? My response was, how many people have moved to the Houston area since October of 2018...especially from non-gulf states that don't see hurricanes?
View Quote

My kiddo has only been in Houston [separate from Texas proper] a bit more then a year and he seems to be better prepared then most Houstonians are. I'll be bringing down his 2K inverter gen when I go to visit. He has batt pack back ups and just ordered another one that will last longer. Plenty of shelf stable food, water, water purifier, alternate heating means for food and so on.
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 1:14:39 PM EDT
[#26]
I read an article that said that Houston is second on the list of cities when it comes to eating meals out. Number one is New York. If you eat out a lot you don’t keep much food at home… or know how to cook… or have cooking utensils.

Then there are all the apartments, condos, and townhouses with electric stoves.

The people who rely on public transportation.

It’s just crazy.

Link Posted: 7/13/2024 1:46:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Someday, I have no idea when, an event will occur that will solve the problem of useless humans.  It won't be pretty!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top