User Panel

Asheville opened my eyes (Page 3 of 3)
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/20/2024 1:47:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By The_Like_Button:

I’ll check it out. Not sure I’ll stick with the G90 for POTA and SOTA. My lung function is down to around 40% with some med stuff going on. Need to cut some weight to keep me going, looking at an Elecraft KX2 for a QRP rig.
View Quote

If EMCOMM is the purpose and POTA is the practice AND you're interested in digital modes, The IC-705 is a very capable and fun to use rig.
Link Posted: 10/20/2024 9:01:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By tyrex13:

If EMCOMM is the purpose and POTA is the practice AND you're interested in digital modes, The IC-705 is a very capable and fun to use rig.
View Quote

I’m interested in digital, but I’m not big on a touch screen field radio. Seems like something to get easily broken.
Link Posted: 10/20/2024 10:05:55 AM EDT
[#3]
While the Icom IC-705 is an excellent radio, it is also 3 times the price. And it is only 5 watts when using the internal battery versus the G90's 20 watts. Yes I have looked hard at the IC-705 and the Xiegu X6200 but haven't decided if I want to buy either one since I have two G90's. And to be honest, one won't notice much of a difference between 100 watts and 20 watts when using good coax and a good resonant antenna. 100 watts will help break through a pile up better.

The IC-705 has one major advantage in that it does HF, 6m, VHF, and UHF if that is important to you. The Xiegu X6200 only does HF and 6m and the G90 only does HF (no 6m).

@The_Like_Button you made a good choice with your setup. You have a nice portable setup that suits your needs.
Link Posted: 10/20/2024 11:44:59 AM EDT
[#4]
If I were cutting weight, I would ditch that cage you bought for the G90.
Link Posted: 10/20/2024 12:32:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
If I were cutting weight, I would ditch that cage you bought for the G90.
View Quote

I have a tendency to break things usually by dropping or knocking them over. I know the cage adds unnecessary weight, but I also know my tendencies.

Found a rather clunky FT8 program that worked on my kids iPad. Was able to receive but it was saying my grid square identifier was invalid so wasn’t able to send. Think one of my kids has an old surface tablet I inherited from my job that I’m going to tinker with before I buy a tablet for it.

Aetherwave antenna worked great and I was able to pick up clear transmissions from as far as Puerto Rico and the Yucatán. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2024 2:10:29 PM EDT
[#6]
...Found a rather clunky FT8 program that worked on my kids iPad. Was able to receive but it was saying my grid square identifier was invalid so wasn’t able to send. Think one of my kids has an old surface tablet I inherited from my job that I’m going to tinker with before I buy a tablet for it...[/url]
View Quote

What program? I use this: WSJT-X

...and run this at the same time for helpful audio: JTAlert

I do this on Windows 10 and 11 without issue. No idea what works in the Apple ecosystem.
Link Posted: 10/20/2024 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#7]

I have a tendency to break things usually by dropping or knocking them over. I know the cage adds unnecessary weight, but I also know my tendencies.

Found a rather clunky FT8 program that worked on my kids iPad. Was able to receive but it was saying my grid square identifier was invalid so wasn’t able to send. Think one of my kids has an old surface tablet I inherited from my job that I’m going to tinker with before I buy a tablet for it.

Aetherwave antenna worked great and I was able to pick up clear transmissions from as far as Puerto Rico and the Yucatán. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/584260/IMG_3731_jpeg-3354067.JPG
View Quote

You have to have your time synched as well to make contacts.
Link Posted: 10/20/2024 6:54:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stanprophet09] [#8]
If you want to run a minimalist setup for FT8 protable, the DigiPi is the way to go. It will allow you to use a cheap GPS puck to get GPS time. The Pi runs all of the software and you use web browser to control the Pi and the software. It also has JS8 call that will allow a bit more of a free message.

I have one setup for my Xeigu X-6100. In order to download the DigiPi you can join the builders Patreon for a month and download it. Like 6 bucks and works great. The Raspi runs headless and does not take much power. Easy to incorporate it in a go box.

ETA: https://craiger.org/digipi/
Link Posted: 10/21/2024 4:46:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Had a work emergency so been in my office monitoring field crew half the night. To keep myself awake I planned out and bought my next rig to mess with.

This will be a real QRP rig for SOTA deployments in Shenandoah National Park.
TrUSDx 5w Transceiver
TruSDX Battery case and 6 genuine Philips 18650s
A SMA Male to BNC female adapter
Chameleon 15ft RG316 coax with ferrite choke
Aetherwave 40m QRP Dipole
Also picked up a 2nd digirig with the trusdx link cable to run JS8Call with.

Link Posted: 10/21/2024 9:32:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Had a work emergency so been in my office monitoring field crew half the night. To keep myself awake I planned out and bought my next rig to mess with.

This will be a real QRP rig for SOTA deployments in Shenandoah National Park.
TrUSDx 5w Transceiver
TruSDX Battery case and 6 genuine Philips 18650s
A SMA Male to BNC female adapter
Chameleon 15ft RG316 coax with ferrite choke
Aetherwave 40m QRP Dipole
Also picked up a 2nd digirig with the trusdx link cable to run JS8Call with.

View Quote
You have fallen down the rabbit hole quickly

I have looked into QRP rigs but have not dove into that rabbit hole yet. I can always turn the G90 down to 5 or 10 watts for QRP.

I'm currently using a Digirig with a TYT TH-7800 dual band radio for Winlink. So far it has worked well and was an easy setup. I've only done VHF Winlink since the antenna I am using isn't tuned for UHF.
Link Posted: 10/21/2024 10:22:02 AM EDT
[#11]
The R1CBU firmware for the X6100 allows doing ft8 onboard the radio it's self. It is the firmware that should have been written for the X6100 to begin with. It can be combined with a transverter to transmit on 2m/70cm as well.
X6100 Running R1CBU Firmware No Computer FT8
Link Posted: 10/21/2024 10:42:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By chumpmiester:

I have looked into QRP rigs but have not dove into that rabbit hole yet. I can always turn the G90 down to 5 or 10 watts for QRP.

I'm currently using a Digirig with a TYT TH-7800 dual band radio for Winlink. So far it has worked well and was an easy setup. I've only done VHF Winlink since the antenna I am using isn't tuned for UHF.
View Quote

My ADHD has always been strong.
Link Posted: 10/21/2024 11:07:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I call it ADOLASD - Attention deficit OH look a squirrel disorder.

Radios are like firearms, you can never have enough.
Link Posted: 10/22/2024 9:39:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I
HF Setup
Xiegu G90
Armoloq Frame
Dakota Lithium 10ah LiPo Batteries x2
Chameleon 8010 LEFS antenna
Digirig Mobile
Instant Access PRC Radio Pouch
Maxpedition 6x6 Admin Pouch
20 watt folding solar panel with a solar controller

View Quote

Sounds like we watched the same YT video. I’m right there with you. I thought having the HT meant I was good and could always get help on the air not realizing how limited HTs were and how dependent they are on repeaters. Now I’m going to build that manpack(though I may use a less expensive bag!) to be able to run on batteries backed up by solar.
Link Posted: 10/22/2024 10:52:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By enforcer5369:

Sounds like we watched the same YT video. I’m right there with you. I thought having the HT meant I was good and could always get help on the air not realizing how limited HTs were and how dependent they are on repeaters. Now I’m going to build that manpack(though I may use a less expensive bag!) to be able to run on batteries backed up by solar.
View Quote

The bag is nice, but not worth the coin at all IMO. If I build a 2m man pack I’ll go with a different bag.
Link Posted: 10/22/2024 10:58:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: smeeg] [#16]
Originally Posted By enforcer5369:

View Quote

I can confirm this pouch fits FT-891 with armoloq frame perfectly & is quality but it does NOT unzip from the bottom unlike the high ground gear

Aliexpress prc 117g pouch
Link Posted: 10/23/2024 6:37:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By smeeg:

I can confirm this pouch fits FT-891 with armoloq frame perfectly & is quality but it does NOT unzip from the bottom unlike the high ground gear

Aliexpress prc 117g pouch
View Quote

Way better deal.
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:12:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By chumpmiester:
View Quote

I don't think he fell down the rabbit hole so much as he found a chink in his armor and has decided to secure it.

OP I still want to work your sorry ass.
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:25:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By piccolo:

I don't think he fell down the rabbit hole so much as he found a chink in his armor and has decided to secure it.

OP I still want to work your sorry ass.
View Quote

Should be up and running regularly in the next week or so. Something happened with my license and the FCC only processed my tech. Club had to resubmit my General and I went ahead and applied for a vanity sign since they assigned me one with Quebec twice in it and I hate Quebec.
Link Posted: Yesterday 4:54:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Once the paperwork is resubmitted, you can work in the General portion of the HF bands. You will just need to use /AG after your call sign. Once the FCC updates their website showing you as having a general class license then you can drop the /AG.

You should do just fine with the G90 as long as you are using a good resonant antenna and good quality coax. I haven't used my G90 a whole lot but I have made some good DX contacts on SSB with it. Oh and the G90 is real easy to do the MARS mod to if you are interested in that. Plenty of videos on Youtube on how to do the mod.
Link Posted: Today 12:28:50 PM EDT
[#21]
A G90 should get you into the net, if not directly, through a relay.
I can pretty much hit net control every week, sometimes with 5w when I forget to turn on the amp.
Link Posted: Today 2:04:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Any recommendations for an antenna tuner and tester?

Hearing not so great things about the Nanovna.
Link Posted: Today 2:14:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Any recommendations for an antenna tuner and tester?

Hearing not so great things about the Nanovna.
View Quote

I assume you are not conflating antenna tester and tuner.

I use an MFJ 998 tuner and it has been good, but since MFJ has gone by the wayside I don't know that I would recommend it.

I've been using a NanoVNA without issue for over 3 years now to test my antenna SWR. Not sure what not so great things you're hearing, but they are an open source device so every 2-bit sweatshop in Asia is cranking them out with predictable variations in quality. This is the one I have and the place I bought it from. I run it with NanoVNA-Saver software from a PC so I don't have to torture myself with the cheesy little touch screen, plus I get the results on the PC so can do things with them.

You'll get recommendations for RigExpert units. I am sure they are excellent, but they should be for the money they cost.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Asheville opened my eyes (Page 3 of 3)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top