Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2019 6:03:54 PM EDT
Anyone ever hunt in oregon? Buddy and I are looking to strike out west and oregon seems to be about the cheapest route(except for the drive) with pretty much guaranteed draw.

Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 6:08:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Never hunted but did a lot of outdoors stuff and came across them.

Bottom line it's really wet in the west and very short distance because of trees and terrain.

You can get out some in the east but expect cold and difficult terrain although dry.

Portland is a shithole but eastern is very welcoming to hunters.

I imagine you'd be looking around grant county? You can fly into Boise or make the full drive over. The mountain roads are no joke out there, watch the weather carefully.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 6:30:48 PM EDT
[#2]
We were looking at the southwest corner, unit 22 I think. Hard to keep it straight once I start digging in. I assumed it would be wet. Are mountain roads still an issue in may? I've never been west of Iowa.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 7:12:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rudinater] [#3]
Oregon, and Washington as well are split in half by the Cascades mt range.    West of the mt's is rain, wet and green.   East of the mt is dry and high desert.

I'm from Bend and have property out there.   Can't say I ever remember seeing or hearing about in bears in Oregon

update   There are 25,000-30,000 bears in Oregon.    Learn something every day.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 7:19:56 PM EDT
[#4]
When I lived in OR, tags were over the counter, no draw.  I don't know about the eastern side of the state but I hunted the coast a ton and wouldn't waist my time on that part of the state.  That is some of the most unforgiving country and really hard to hunt.  I would look into ID.  There are some really great bear hunting opportunities in that state that are accessible for your average guy.  I knew a lot of people from OR that would bear hunt in OD over OR.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 8:04:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GremlinHunter:
We were looking at the southwest corner, unit 22 I think. Hard to keep it straight once I start digging in. I assumed it would be wet. Are mountain roads still an issue in may? I've never been west of Iowa.
View Quote
May you are OK in that area, May in other parts can still get sketchy fast. I go skiing in eastern oregon in May so.... if you dont want snow stick under 6,000 elevation. But you can still freeze your ass off in May out there.

I'm not sure how great that zone would be. and I'd suggest you look at central eastern like grant county and John Day.

Grant county I have seen big horn sheep, moose, bear, followed a wild cat up a mountain and saw the largest dear with the biggest damn rack ever in downtown John Day. It's a one stop light town but the center of grant county and the food is pretty good.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 8:38:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SLF_XM15] [#6]
There are definitely bear in this area. If you decide to proceed with your hunt feel free to reach out. While I have not hunted them I have encountered them in the elk creek area by lost creek lake.

I would be happy to help with info of the southern part of the area of unit 22 or any questions about the medford area- closest town
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 8:58:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Find some nice open south facing slopes with bear grass on them and wait and glass.  I know residence can shoot more then one spring bear and it’s an over the counter tag. Fall bear is draw only, at least in north central Oregon.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 7:19:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Cool man. I'm sure I'll hit you up with some questions.

Originally Posted By SLF_XM15:
There are definitely bear in this area. If you decide to proceed with your hunt feel free to reach out. While I have not hunted them I have encountered them in the elk creek area by lost creek lake.

I would be happy to help with info of the southern part of the area of unit 22 or any questions about the medford area- closest town
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 5:40:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By bondryan:
Find some nice open south facing slopes with bear grass on them and wait and glass.  I know residence can shoot more then one spring bear and it’s an over the counter tag. Fall bear is draw only, at least in north central Oregon.
View Quote
In unit 22 I'm pretty sure it's the opposite. Fall is over the counter and last year they made spring a drawing.
OP, I'm in unit 22. There are lots of bear here. I get them on trail cams frequently and see a few running across the road when I drive home at night. I've walked up on them when hiking. The thing about Oregon is you can't use dogs or bait. If you came out here for a week you'll probably never see one. I think all the bears that get shot fall into 2 categories: people who buy a tag every year in case they see one while hunting something else or while logging, the second category is a bear becomes a nuesance around a house.
Top Top