Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2023 2:18:24 PM EDT
I want to get seriously into turkey hunting.

Got an amazing deal on a Beretta A300 Ultima and had to get it.

SO far I have taken it trap shooting and this thing shoots amazingly and is very light on recoil! Love it so far!

That being said. I know its long and its definitely not camo but I don't see any reason why it wont work for turkey hunting.

Im not concerned about the size but do I need to wrap it in camo or should I be okay with the black/silver showing? Not used to the eye sight on these things but have been doing tons and tons of research and video watching and am pumped for this year!
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 4:06:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Attachment Attached File

Ceracoat all the things!  This is my Nova, but I tape wrapped the Salvo.  Nice turkey package.

I bought a A300 for dove and busting clays.  Great shotgun!  I think taping or hydro dipping would work well for you if you don’t want to ceracoat OP.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 4:22:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Subdue anything super shiny but it's the Indian not the arrow at the end of the day.  If you move, they'll see you whether your camo or not.  

Good choke, good loads, pattern your gun!  A set of fiber optic sights that attach to the rib and the bead are beneficial.  

Link Posted: 2/16/2023 5:14:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Figure out what choke tube is best and get a quality shell to pattern properly. Buy a roll of temporary camo wrap and go have fun. Be realistic about your ranges.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 5:19:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies so far guys.

I was thinking camo wrap for sure. I have all chokes and am going to buy several different turkey loads in a week or two and see what shoots best.

Won’t be taking any shots longer then 40 yards.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ve used my A400 just the big brother to the 300

Factory full with long beard 3-1/2 4 shot
Client Folded a bird at 60 yards with it opening day
His daughter dropped one at 20 with her HR 410
Same morning 25 seconds away
Last day of season I dropped a bird in the most hilarious way ever
Driving too my dads to help him clean out his barn and two toms are in a neighbors field, I pull into our field real quick
Load a shell and then get behind a tree and start calling. Tom comes walking out about 10 feet from the side of my truck
Dumped him tossed him in the bed, cleaned him and then helped my dad. All while my dad was watching me from his side yard

Year before I smoked a bird at 45 with it and he folded over
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 6:55:26 PM EDT
[#6]
In my experience, with turkey, the shorter the better.  You'll probably be hunting from the ground, in cover.  The longer the barrel, the harder it is to maneuver around behind that cover.  I've lost birds because the end of my barrel has hit bushes and spooked the bird.

Camo is "better", but as long as it's not some flashy blued gun with high-gloss wood you'll probably be OK.  They make camo sleeves and tape if you want to tone down part or all of the gun.  It's more important to be still until it's time.  And you won't have much time, once it is time.

You'll rarely take more than one shot, so while auto is always nicer don't be shy about a pump.  You'll rarely shoot farther than 40 yards, and most of your kills will be inside 25 yards.

I took my first bird with a 28" 11-87 SP.

I've got an 870 with an 18" rifle-sighted barrel that I used to use.  I did the homeboy camo job on this with Kyrlon rattlecan finish on the receiver and barrel and a factory hydro-dipped stock.

Turkey-870  20170414 by FredMan, on Flickr

The new hotness (well, for the past 4-5 years anyway) is the 20 ga M2, chopped to 12.75".  I simply love this gun.  It's so short you can maneuver it around with no issues; and with the proper loads (I like Federal Mag Shok 3" 1 5/16 No. 5, with the Flite Control and Modified choke) it's deadly.

Gobbler Fan SBS 20190428 by FredMan, on Flickr

Link Posted: 10/15/2023 10:06:52 PM EDT
[#7]
That's what I took my Osceola with last year and it's what I will take to Arkansas in January. My A300 outlander is my do all shotgun.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 10:36:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I just came back from a 12 day (4 days of travel with a total of 9 hunts) Canadian waterfowl hunt.  I really wanted to try a gas gun (last one I had was a Remington 11-87 back in the 1990s) instead of my tried and true Benelli inertia guns.  I bought a new Beretta A300 Ultima in Max5 with a 28" barrel and kick-off stock.  My thoughts ...

I tested, patterned, and cleaned the gun before the trip.  I fired around 250 3" shells on the trip.  The gun had two failures to strike the primer.  Click with no bang.  Ejected shell had ZERO primer strike.  I had one double feed and one failure to go completely into battery.  The weather was unseasonably cold (2F morning, 6F morning, average 11-13F morning.  The 2F day had strong wind with the WC hitting -27F).  The gun was used in my layout blind, A-frame and snow-goose chair.  Brushing in the layout and A-frame with dead prairie grass, etc yielded lots of opportunity for debris to enter the gun.  It snowed, several times.  

Overall I'm mixed on it.  The two fellows I went with both used their Benelli SBE3s.  One SBE3 had about 10,000 rounds on it (he uses it for waterfowl, dove, clays, etc). The other SBE3 was a two season gun with around 1,200 rounds on it.  The newer SBE3 jammed once (don't know what happened) and had one light primer strike.  That gun had been cleaned the night before so I'm guessing he over lubricated (the high temp the next day was 9F).  I think the older SBE3 had one issue.

I paid $699 + tax + shipping + GB fee + FFL fee for my A300 Ultima.  All in I think I was at $823.  For that money its a good gun.  If I had it to do over again, I would have just taken my Benellis.  In fact, I took one as my backup gun and considered switching to it, but didn't.  The biggest issue for me is the kick-off stock.  You can feel the stock "bottom out" and then "rebound".  It made quick follow up shots less intuitive.
Top Top