Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2023 12:06:55 AM EDT
How are you guys attaching blind grass to your boats? I’m talking about the raffia style grass not the knitted sheets. I think tanglefree calls it stealth grass. I have an Avery quickset blind on my boat and it’s got some chinsy feeling little rope squares on the outside of the camo netting. Do you take small groups of the grass and tie it to the squares? I can’t see zip tying it it would take a million zip ties. Suggestions welcome! Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/1/2023 9:08:34 AM EDT
[#1]
I don’t use zip ties, just grab a fistful of raffia and attach it to the brush loops via a cow hitch knot.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 5:13:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VTDuckGuy] [#2]
Hate to say it but 8 million zip ties for me.  This is original fast grass for the bottom layer and lots of other mixed real and fake vegetation added every year.  I have so many layers on my boat it is crazy, but adds to the camo effect.  I am lucky my boat lives in the garage so the camo does not get beat up by the weather, only driving down the road.

Early season we add cedar branches to add some green (early sept goose) they hold up great and the birds don't give them a second look.

For the picture you posted, I would ditch the boat and be on shore with a natural blind/A frame or layouts, use the shadows of the bank to your advantage, the boat sticks out way too much.

ETA  boat is a 1760 with a hard side blind

Link Posted: 11/1/2023 7:39:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File

Taken this morning diver hunting..
Johnson and pampas grass on the Chain-O-Lakes in northern Illinois blends in, along with willow branches.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By VTDuckGuy:
Hate to say it but 8 million zip ties for me.  This is original fast grass for the bottom layer and lots of other mixed real and fake vegetation added every year.  I have so many layers on my boat it is crazy, but adds to the camo effect.  I am lucky my boat lives in the garage so the camo does not get beat up by the weather, only driving down the road.

Early season we add cedar branches to add some green (early sept goose) they hold up great and the birds don't give them a second look.

For the picture you posted, I would ditch the boat and be on shore with a natural blind/A frame or layouts, use the shadows of the bank to your advantage, the boat sticks out way too much.

ETA  boat is a 1760 with a hard side blind

https://i.imgur.com/8a9qHdy.jpg

View Quote

I’m lucky the boat lives in the garage as well. Unfortunately this spot in the first post photo I’m allowed to hunt the water but not the shore in the area in the pic.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 8:05:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By VTDuckGuy:

the camo does not get beat up by the weather, only driving down the road.

View Quote

Depending on length of the drive and how much damage, it might be worth tarping it before hitting the road.  Harbor Freight sells adequate canvas tarps for mostly reasonable prices.  Well strapped down, it shouldn't go anywhere.  

Came across this thread by random in active topics wondering why grass might be blind.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 7:51:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By FDC:

Depending on length of the drive and how much damage, it might be worth tarping it before hitting the road.  Harbor Freight sells adequate canvas tarps for mostly reasonable prices.  Well strapped down, it shouldn't go anywhere.  

Came across this thread by random in active topics wondering why grass might be blind.
View Quote
Only 45 min to an hour drives, the wind actually "fluffs" the grass some.  Life is to short to tarp a duck boat  
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 9:58:56 AM EDT
[#7]
We string "shock cord" around the blind at 12" vertical increments.  Allows all sorts of brushing in to work.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 10:01:42 AM EDT
[#8]
NOTE: the blind I'm referring to has a rigid metal frame.  This allows the shock-cord to have tie-off points, and maintain tension.  Soft blind like yours ... zipties.  Lots and lots and lots of zipties.

It might be worth your time to build a four panel rigid frame that can lay down in the boat during transport.  PVC or metal conduit works great.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I ordered some stealth grass from tanglefree and will update with pics when I install it. Side note my middle son got his first green head this past weekend. We normally shoot piles of teal so the green head was a treat.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 7:39:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Got a little bit of grass on it. Added more after our hunt. I ordered 10lbs and surprisingly have like 3-4lbs on it in the driveway photo. A little bit goes a long way which is nice. Need to find more time to add to it, it’s a lot more time consuming than I thought it would be.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 7:48:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By -Blue-:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/29471/9A5E3F8C-0BC8-414F-B14F-A7599CDB8649_jpe-3027658.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/29471/9F1F5774-2777-46F9-A3B5-60C097F3D49B_jpe-3027660.JPG

Got a little bit of grass on it. Added more after our hunt. I ordered 10lbs and surprisingly have like 3-4lbs on it in the driveway photo. A little bit goes a long way which is nice. Need to find more time to add to it, it’s a lot more time consuming than I thought it would be.
View Quote

Looking good,  you would definitely blend into the riverbanks where I hunt.
Just watch you overhead for dark bloobs (interior shadows), they don't show up at first light but an hour or 2 in they are more pronounced.
We make "bolling pins", basically a knotted chunk of grass woven around the top of the blind.
You can pivot different ways .
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 9:35:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VTDuckGuy] [#12]
It is still killing me you cant hunt on the dry land behind you  You could hide a large army on that shore line.

One thing that has worked incredibly well for us is placing "trees" ( we use small cedar trees) in front of the boat to break up the outline when there is almost no cover.  Looks like in your location it may be palm fronds, but oak, willow or any local trees that hold their leaves work.  I have no idea why, but birds loose their wariness with the boat "blob" broken up.

Cut some leafy trees and stick them in the mud in front of the boat next hunt and I almost guarantee it will help in your situation.  Kind of a shit picture from in the boat, but you get the idea.

ETA pix 2

Top Top