Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2024 7:56:34 PM EDT
What's the next step, after NATO metal cans?

While I have a metal shop building, I'd like to keep it out of there. I've been thinking of a quadcon, or whatever you civvies call them, with transfer tanks for both gas and diesel in them.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 8:00:59 PM EDT
[#1]
https://www.jmesales.com/jme-gravity-flow-fuel-tank-on-stand-525-gallon/?sku=ATTAH52512RS4642DKIT&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAAD_lDUw2v9KgQmkSrsAukR_ESbLtV&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr46owu6QhgMVoSzUAR1VUwgdEAQYDyABEgIAyPD_BwE
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:58:15 AM EDT
[#2]
55 gallon steel drums. It's the bulk storage equivalent to NATO cans...
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 10:40:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Shop marketplace or clist for old farm fuel tanks. Taliv has it right. Don’t be stingy with pri-g and pri-d
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 6:39:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
55 gallon steel drums. It's the bulk storage equivalent to NATO cans...
View Quote
This

My local fuel delivery company sold me new barrels at $75 each and then filled them for me too at current price.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 5:37:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I got a condemned 250 gallon propane tank. As long as it is airtight, it will hold in the light fractions. I took out the pop off valve out and installed a ball valve. This is how I fill it. You could also just put a pipe plug in it. Find the liquid line valve and pipe in a filter and dispenser hose. I open the vapor valve when filling to prevent back pressure. Most fittings are 1 inch. I used to pressurize it with propane, but now I just shoot a little air in it. You only need about 5psi to keep it fresh and to dispense with.

Link Posted: 6/30/2024 9:15:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Fuel tanks on a trailer:

Molly photobombing my pic!  (RIP Molly!)

105-gallon (supposedly) diesel tank up front; 50-gallon gas tank in the back.

Link Posted: 6/30/2024 10:18:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Fuel tanks on a trailer:

https://i.imgur.com/annWSMW.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/I2jrFIU.jpg

Molly photobombing my pic!  (RIP Molly!)

https://i.imgur.com/4rzJyaF.jpg

105-gallon (supposedly) diesel tank up front; 50-gallon gas tank in the back.

View Quote

Nice set up and easy to tow to the nearest gas station to fill.

I like my NATO cans/job box storage system but if I wanted a bulk storage system, I’d probably go with something trailer mounted. I don’t  use enough diesel to justify a large tank but could definitely justify a large gas tank.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:56:24 PM EDT
[#8]
The trailer above is what we use at the farm (BOL). Ours is 160 gal diesel IIRC and. I gas tank.

We use very little gas. I think only the chainsaws and one of the generators and we have a separate fixed tank for that not on a trailer (it’s on casters) which is pure non ethanol gas only and of course PRI-G. We just keep it topped up with 5 gallon cans a few times a year.

During the busy parts of the year we will pull it and fill it with off road diesel but after all the heavy work is done for the year we just keep it topped off with 5 gallon cans and of course PRI-D over the winter. Since we go through it fairly heavy Spring through Fall we don’t bother with the PRI-D during that time because we use it heavily.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 5:53:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Just 4 55 gallon drums on a pallet.
Cheap and works.
Keep adding until you get the quantity you want.
Fork it on and off your truck.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 6:23:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Remember, everything falls to the bottom of the tank. And eventually you get too much crud. Happened to us with diesel. Had to change all of our tractor fuel filters.
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 3:18:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Remember, everything falls to the bottom of the tank. And eventually you get too much crud. Happened to us with diesel. Had to change all of our tractor fuel filters.
View Quote

Yep, inline filter with your pump is a good idea for sure.

Doc
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 11:38:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Doc
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doc
Since I took the pics above, I added another fuel filter to my diesel tank; no pics of it yet, but it looks like this:

Link Posted: 7/2/2024 3:39:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

For those without powered fuel pumping, the easy rule is to avoid jostling the can/tank, and not pouring out or retrieving fuel from the bottom of the tank when filling something.  

With cans, I will pour out 90% smoothly, and the last 10% or so gets dumped into one can, where it eventually accumulates and all the crud ends up.  This will eventually settle out as well and you can pour out most of it without crud in it.  

With a 15 gallon container, I just use a kerosene siphon to retrieve fuel which does not reach anywhere near the bottom of the container.  So I can get out 2/3 or so out without problem.

Then a filter funnel helps for filtering out the crud from the gunked up fuel.  Always good if you can use it 100% of the time, but not always easy to use in vehicles with an angled fill location.  I found a large angled metal funnel that the filter funnel can fit inside of, otherwise there is no way for one person to use a filter funnel while fueling my vehicles.  So that metal angled funnel + straight filter funnel combination is pretty useful.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 7:10:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top