Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2023 1:55:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rodent]
A couple decades ago I took a cooking class at a canoeing symposium in Maine, and became enamored with reflector ovens. The instructor gave us plans for making our own. I made all three sizes and have been using them ever since, on canoe and float trips, for car camping, and in front of our wood stove during power outages.

I just stumbled across the plans again, so here you go.

These are not collapsible, but they don't take up much space because you can pack things inside them. They make great reflectors for your campfire even if you're not baking in them. And cinnamon rolls for breakfast and sourdough biscuits for dinner take camping food to a whole 'nother level.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 2:23:26 PM EDT
[#1]
What materials are used in construction?
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 2:33:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TAG_Match:
What materials are used in construction?
View Quote
I used aluminum and rivets. I keep telling myself I'll make a big indestructible one out of stainless steel one of these days.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 10:26:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 10:44:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BuckMan123] [#4]
I built one forever ago out of plans from a 1970's Boy scout Field book. It is assembled using slots in the upright frames. I should have up the size on it. It was made out of aluminum and I built in metal shop class. I still have it in my camp stuff. Other one I used where made to fold and unfold into shape and held a 9" by 9" bake pan. They worked well on canoe trips that I made to Canada when I was in Scouts (1980's).
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 12:52:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rodent] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BuckMan123:
I built one forever ago out of plans from a 1970's Boy scout Field book. It is assembled using slots in the upright frames. I should have up the size on it. It was made out of aluminum and I built in metal shop class. I still have it in my camp stuff. Other one I used where made to fold and unfold into shape and held a 9" by 9" bake pan. They worked well on canoe trips that I made to Canada when I was in Scouts (1980's).
View Quote
I did, too! Or maybe the plans were in that magazine we used to get, I can't remember. I still have my Fieldbook around here somewhere, it's over half a century old now. In retrospect, the Boy Scout oven's angles were way too wide and it didn't work all that well. These plans are far better.
Top Top