Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2024 9:53:45 PM EDT
Has anyone here done it?

I’m interested in a camper for 4. One queen and two bunk beds. If I’m dispersed camping I would rely on a simple portable toilet and outdoor shower. I don’t want the gross weight to go over 4500-lbs.

I’m guessing that the cargo trailer’s exterior will be tougher/ better than a camper’s exterior.

Is building a cargo trailer into a camper practical? I wonder would it be cheaper? I can do all the work myself. I can get a used camper that sleeps 4 with a dry bath for $20-25k.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 10:16:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PvtJoeBauers] [#1]
My brother just did one and from what little I know about it you would be further ahead finding a deal on used. It’s a lot of work and probably close to the same money.

Most cargo trailer walls aren’t as sturdy as you’d think and a lot of their interiors are simple thin paneling.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 10:23:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Lots of YouTube Vids on this. Would be much less damage prone than RV type.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 10:35:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Some campgrounds will not allow them. I have owned Travel trailers and a 5th wheel for 11 years
and my opinion is to buy a real travel trailer.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 10:39:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Most Cargo Trailers these days are basically "disposable" after a few years of hard use.  They are meant to carry a load over a smooth road.

The floor is reinforced for the load, but the walls and roof are not constructed for any loads - they are just to keep the weather off the load.  Zero insulation.  No user accessible doors (from the inside)

I've seen people build out a cargo trailer into a simple camper -(great if you have lots of money, skills & time to do so), but from what you sound like you want - I really think you'd be better just finding a good used Camper and if you needed to modify it (add solar, LED lights or whatever) to your budget & needs.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 12:09:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I read that campers have lots of issues with water damage. Is that correct?
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 12:19:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigger_Hammer] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HighLighter:
I read that campers have lots of issues with water damage. Is that correct?
View Quote

Depends.  A flooded car is never going to be as good as one that was not flooded.  Same for Campers.

The floors of most campers are OSB or similar "engineered wood" for strength with light weight.  Most campers are for limited use, not living in day to day.  

A lot of campers were flood damaged over the past several years (like Hurricane Harvey & other various major floods) and sometimes show up for sale without disclosure.

Walk around and feel for soft spots on the floor.  Look at the cabinets and see if they are solid or saggy.  Breath deeply and it smells moldy / musty / wet, it may very well have issues.

If you can check the roof, look for patches or extra sealant on seams.  

If you can get a view under (like a oil change pit) look for corrosion or other obvious water damage from flooding / high water.

Bigger_Hammer

Link Posted: 1/15/2024 12:39:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Most RV / campers are built for light weight, not durable, leak after a couple of years.

Cargo trailers are built for work - to be used daily.
The frames are much more durable than campers.
Yes, they can be turned into a very durable RV / camper.
I sell several a week that get converted.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:19:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By UncleMeat:
Most RV / campers are built for light weight, not durable, leak after a couple of years.

View Quote

You must sell upper end trailers because the common ones have sheet metal crossmembers under the floor and the same quality wall structure.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 11:40:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By PvtJoeBauers:

You must sell upper end trailers because the common ones have sheet metal crossmembers under the floor and the same quality wall structure.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By UncleMeat:

@unclemeat Which brand should I be looking for that
Durable frames?
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 11:52:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AR_Dale] [#10]

View Quote

Not a camper, hauls dirt bikes, SxS, quad, mower, etc.
5K axle and frame, Ebrakes, have way over 100K miles and is 23 years old. TNT is the brand.
Weighs 2660 empty, that is will tools, parts, space tires etc.
I still use it several times a month for a 300 mile round trip.

Link Posted: 1/15/2024 11:57:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Black tank, grey tank fresh tank, water pump, furnace, a/c, windows, door you can latch and unlatch from inside for a start
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 12:25:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#12]
I did a cargo trailer conversion years ago.  We like it.  There might be pics around here somewhere since I did a thread on it.  I'm going to do another, larger one, eventually.  Been waiting for prices to come down.  Looks like they are dropping so will probably get another larger trailer within the next year.  Current one is 14ft long.  Think it's 6 ft wide. Next one will be either an 8.5x16 or and 8.5x18.  Prefer the 18ft but they are harder to find since 16 ft is far more common.  Will be making it into a toy hauler for hauling either ATVs or my RZR.

Cargo trailers are far more durable than most campers.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 12:24:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MikeJGA] [#13]
My brother just did one and from what little I know about it you would be further ahead finding a deal on used. It’s a lot of work and probably close to the same money.

Most cargo trailer walls aren’t as sturdy as you’d think and a lot of their interiors are simple thin paneling.
View Quote

Reparing a used one is easier.  Also if you ever plan on staying at a nice RV park, be aware, many will not accept home made RVs. Which means you boondock or stay with the Trailer trash,
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 7:28:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:

Reparing a used one is easier.  Also if you ever plan on staying at a nice RV park, be aware, many will not accept home made RVs. Which means you boondock or stay with the Trailer trash,
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:

That might be limiting but I don’t plan on pay those “nice park” prices. State parks and dispersed camping is fine by me.
Top Top