Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2024 1:16:33 PM EDT
I'm an extra class ham and GRT license holder, but I don't know jack about cell phone technology. I've been using an IPhone 7 with 32GB just fine, but the battery is getting where it doesn't last long. I don't need a super phone, but is there any reason to avoid the IPhone 11 or 12 refurbs from straightalk. I'm already a straightalk customer.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#1]
You might see about getting the battery replaced, whether or not will depend upon the age of your phone etc. I'd try that first if the phone itself is holding up.
Rob
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 4:01:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Shutdown all the apps running in the background unnecessarily. Shutoff data/wifi you're not actively using it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 4:21:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By USMC2671:
Shutdown all the apps running in the background unnecessarily. Shutoff data/wifi you're not actively using it.
View Quote

This.  Selectively allow which apps run in the background. An important thing that no one tells you because they all want THEIR app running and collecting all your data and locations.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:33:28 PM EDT
[#4]
If you've had it awhile, there can be a lot of processes doing useless stuff. You could consider writing down the valuable parts, then factory resetting it.

If not, I have no idea about apple phones, but do know about ST refurbs. Most of the time it's not a bad deal, just don't be afraid to send it back.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 7:52:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Is the battery life issue recent?

I ask because I have lines with multiple providers, and just after Verizon bought straight talk I started to have
obvious issues with the line that were clearly being done at the network level that didn't happen with my
Verizon-supplied phones.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:33:08 PM EDT
[#6]
The phone is about 4 years old. I did have to SIM change from AT&T to Verizon last year.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:56:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shootindave] [#7]
I bought a Pixel 6a off Swappa. Loaded GrapheneOS. I bet this phone would last a week on a single charge without all the google/apple bullshit running in the background. It is never below 90% at the end of the day. Lol. But I dont play internet on it all day either. (Also use straight talk) Go ahead and order another sim card off their website for $1. They are locked to the phones.

Swappa seems like a good source of phones. I ordered one, it was actually carrier/boot loader unlocked and ready to go…….. unlike phones I tried from other sources.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:34:44 AM EDT
[#8]
A refurbished phone should theoretically come with a reconditioned battery system (and thus be under some sort of warranty). Not being overly familiar with ST as a carrier, the one got you between an iPhone 12 and 7 would be the improved LTE capabilities (I don't recall 12 fully supporting 5G) in addition to Apple officially ending Mainstream support for iOS 15 in January (Security Support is still active but that's a clue that the end is near/planned). I upgraded from a 12 to a 15 Pro back in October to get full 5G support and SOS satellite messaging but I was very happy with my iPhone 12.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 2:47:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Personally I wouldn't get a refurb but that's me. I went from a 6 to a 12 with more storage and it's nice because I have have more mp3s or photos on it. You might look at the iPhone SE if you like the button.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:29:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I have an iPhone 5 that I use for a music player in my truck.   I just had the battery replaced by a local outfit for $75.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:20:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#11]
Treat yourself to a new iphone

Think about where that ghetto hoochie momma kept that refurb when it was hers

The newer iphones will work on 5G, and even make emergency texts on satellite

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:43:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Titty sweat wipes off okay. LOL. Former EMT/DOT First Responder, so body fluids don't gross me out.

With straightalk, you pay upfront for the phone as I did for the wife's iPhone 12 Pro Max. (Groans)!

I wanted to know if refurbished phones got a new battery or just a wiped memory/cleanup? I use the phone for calls, texting, and some internet lookup if I need car part info on the go. The sat emergency comms is a nice trick, but I don't roam open water or trackless deserts.

I'll probably spring for a new 11 or 12.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:09:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By radioshooter:
Titty sweat wipes off okay. LOL. Former EMT/DOT First Responder, so body fluids don't gross me out.

View Quote

other than the titty sweat,   . . . . the new iphones are better

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:05:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought an IPhone 12 for $300

Top Top