Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2023 11:45:10 PM EDT

Usually I would post these trips in GD in an attempt to bring some positive content, but.. We all know how posting something positive in GD goes.

Had some time over the weekend and nothing to do.  So I headed for the "Hills".  Had plans to head to the snowy range and Medicine bow,  but decided to head in a different area and play.

Came across a very cool spot to camp for the night.  It gave me the opportunity to test my new diesel heater and just relax and wind down from day to day life.  

Haven't had a bonfire in a long time. So I figured it was a perfect opportunity to scavenge some wood and make use of my new saw and camp axe.  

While walking the site I found some goodies!  Finders keepers! (I actually found more than what's pictured)

As night fell it was time to play with some toys.

A pic through my ITT Night quest G3.

Then my L3 Gen 3 PVS14.

Looking toward the neighbors.  They were about 150ish yards away.
Through my pulsar thermal.

My leupold, the lcd plays havoc with the camera.  So the actual image on the unit is much better than the camera picks up.

I took a fairly long night hike with the PVS14 and the thermal.  Much fun was had.  People had no idea I was strolling on by on the trails.  

Some pics of the heater install.  I built it into a little wood cabinet at the end of the bed.  I isolation mounted the fuel pump so as to make it much quieter and it worked very well. The tool box was in there for its move to work, it was fun to get in and out.  But the bed held it well, so that's a plus.

The fuel tank is mounted to the drivers rear door and the fuel line is run into the van through the wire entry boot.  The heater controller is mounted to the left inner door frame. The heater and the fridge are powered off of the vans start battery for now.  Eventually they will be powered by a house battery and 300 watts of solar.  As of now I Have run the fridge by itself for 4 days straight without an issue with the starting battery.  I have run the fridge and the heater one full night without issue.  

Fun was had!  I need to do it more.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2023 12:03:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a good time was had, @Goodn.

Was this in North Dakota?
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 12:09:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By The_Dog:
Looks like a good time was had, @Goodn.

Was this in North Dakota?
View Quote

I was a great time.  It was not in ND.  I am still bouncing between ND and WY.  In the process of moving.  

The spot was in the Vedauwoo formation in SE Wyoming.  Beautiful area.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 12:23:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Goodn:
I was a great time.  It was not in ND.  I am still bouncing between ND and WY.  In the process of moving.  

View Quote

I've been through that area, but only on the interstate while traveling to Salt Lake City.  Most of my Wyoming off-roading has been in the NE part of the state.  I've got family in SD, so I spend significant time both East River and West River.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 1:02:05 AM EDT
[#4]

I've been through that area, but only on the interstate while traveling to Salt Lake City.  Most of my Wyoming off-roading has been in the NE part of the state.  I've got family in SD, so I spend significant time both East River and West River.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Goodn:

I used to spend a lot of time in the Sundance area.  There is some nice places to camp and spend time there.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2023 6:58:57 AM EDT
[#5]
For an airplane guy, you sure are well grounded! (Sorry)

That spot looked phenomenal to set up at. I have never seen the western mountains and sure hope to fix that one day.

Looks like a good way to try out the thermal, etc. Kinda would weird me out a little having people check me out with NV, but there is no privacy promised on public land and I even understand why you did it/took pics.

So many here do such cool things
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 9:22:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By lizARdman15:
For an airplane guy, you sure are well grounded! (Sorry)

That spot looked phenomenal to set up at. I have never seen the western mountains and sure hope to fix that one day.

Looks like a good way to try out the thermal, etc. Kinda would weird me out a little having people check me out with NV, but there is no privacy promised on public land and I even understand why you did it/took pics.

So many here do such cool things
View Quote

I miss working in the aircraft industry.  

The spots in the area I have found are amazing!

Yeah, as far as the thermal goes and the privacy aspect,  I made sure there were no real identifying aspects on the pics and I generally don't like to look (or spy) in the direction of others as a rule especially since I know I go out there to wind down in private so, for sure they are trying to do the same.  I just thought it would be neat to take a gander for a few pics to give a reference. Being on public land, I wouldn't be too shocked if people have done the same to me.  

The cool thing with the NV is where the thermal can be fooled in the trees and terrain when it comes to finding heat signatures,  The NV will pick up a bonfire and its flicker for miles,  Or a cigarette?  A Cigarette is like a strobe light in your hand screaming "Here I am!".

This is a shot of my buddy at about 200 yards with a lit cigarette at his side.  Imagine what ittl do when he is pulling a drag on it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 10:38:40 AM EDT
[#7]
How do you know your neighbors weren't watching you walk through the hillside with their own thermals? J/K, looks like you had a great trip!
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 10:44:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SixpackinOk:
How do you know your neighbors weren't watching you walk through the hillside with their own thermals? J/K, looks like you had a great trip!
View Quote

As long as they are having fun too.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 2:44:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Very cool. That area's on my list of places to explore. I've been spending a lot of time in the Bighorns as they aren't far away.

My thermal scope and Sionyx camera are coming with me next time.
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 4:14:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Goodn, it looks like you took my post to heart the way I intended.

You don't strike me as a person to be disrespectful to others and understand both sides of that coin.

If i discovered someone with NV, I'd be asking to take a look too!! It is awesome

That cig is definitely a "shoot me first" type feature if conducting night maneuvers.

Link Posted: 10/25/2023 10:20:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By lizARdman15:
Goodn, it looks like you took my post to heart the way I intended.

You don't strike me as a person to be disrespectful to others and understand both sides of that coin.

If i discovered someone with NV, I'd be asking to take a look too!! It is awesome

That cig is definitely a "shoot me first" type feature if conducting night maneuvers.

View Quote

I have been an asshole on occasion. I try to be respectful to others as much as possible. God knows I have stepped on my own pecker here on the forum on occasion.  I am not afraid to apologize when I am wrong. Outside the internet I try to be polite and respectful, almost to a fault.  

I love letting people gander through the NV or Thermals if they would like. Peoples reaction is usually pretty neat when they get to experience seeing through them.

Looking over the entire area around me,  Anyone with the smallest of bonfire was lit up like Vegas on the NV.
Top Top