Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 38
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I should be around to NC but we're having a lot of thunderstorms, will update before net time
if I can't do it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 7:08:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DarkLordVader] [#2]
Any of you guys know ax.25?  I am trying to connect to winlink RMS using the GO implementation 'PAT' and direwolf as an ax.25 modem via KISS.  

I can connect to a node but I get this message:  

Connected to XXXXX (AX.25)
Welcome to (XXXXX) Node ...
For WinLink RMS functions, type RMS now. Type BBS to connect to the BBS.
Type ? for a list of commands or I for detailed info about this station.

I am thinking I need to send some kind of message to switch into RMS mode.  
I tried using kissutil:   mycall>gateway:RMS  but no luck.
I don't think PAT knows how to deal with this.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 7:13:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Way more people will see your ax.25 question if you post it as fresh thread.

on the net side - while I have storms in the area, no nearby lightning so far so I'll start the reminder at 2330Z on 20M.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 7:27:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DarkLordVader:
Any of you guys know ax.25?  I am trying to connect to winlink RMS using the GO implementation 'PAT' and direwolf as an ax.25 modem via KISS.  

I can connect to a node but I get this message:  

Connected to XXXXX (AX.25)
Welcome to (XXXXX) Node ...
For WinLink RMS functions, type RMS now. Type BBS to connect to the BBS.
Type ? for a list of commands or I for detailed info about this station.

I am thinking I need to send some kind of message to switch into RMS mode.  
I tried using kissutil:   mycall>gateway:RMS  but no luck.
I don't think PAT knows how to deal with this.
View Quote
This is someone else's node I assume? I'd email the gateway owner. Neither mine nor anyone I know has a connect message like that. However, no one here has both a gateway and a BBS though, all the BBS's are on Kantronics TNC's.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 7:52:35 PM EDT
[#5]
There is probably a command to put your system into "Converse Mode" so you can send things as characters rather than commands. My only packet experience is with a PK-232 or UZ7HO HF Packet (software) modem.
Rob
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 7:55:00 PM EDT
[#6]
RE The net, I have a thunder boomer near by and will be QRT.
Rob
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 7:55:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By seek2:
Way more people will see your ax.25 question if you post it as fresh thread.

on the net side - while I have storms in the area, no nearby lightning so far so I'll start the reminder at 2330Z on 20M.
View Quote
Yes, will do.  I saw a callsign in the winlink node list that was 'familiar' to this thread.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#8]
7.12?
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 8:01:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not going to make the net, I don't have the energy to get down to the basement and sit at my desk this evening  Somehow I've gotten old all of a sudden
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 8:01:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: robmkivseries70] [#10]
@Bophades

14.067500 mHz USB 1500 Hz on the waterfall Olivia 16/ 500
Rob

ETA:  I'm copying the NCS on my unhooked feed line 100%!
Copied first check in 100%
Copied second check in about 75%
Copied third check in about 90%
Rob
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 8:11:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I messed something up in between testing and check in . My TX took a dump. Hearing you guys well. I'll try to debug after net.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 8:13:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By GreenDragon:
I messed something up in between testing and check in . My TX took a dump. Hearing you guys well. I'll try to debug after net.
View Quote

Heard you find when testing, if that helps any.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 8:28:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Band wasn't in great shape, but boy was it quiet! As a result the SNRs for even weaker signals were way up.

Three stations made the net, four stations heard including pre/post net, plus NC tonight.

The next couple weeks I'll be tied up with work, so we'll need a volunteer NC.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 8:31:58 PM EDT
[#14]
so after turning my solar inverter and batts off, my noise @ 3khz on our freq tonight  wavers between S1 and S3, i guess not bad (Im out of town).  When I put the 500hz roofing filter it drops the noise to S0.

I RX everyone during the net very poorly, best was S1, some were S0.  the little green vert squelch meter had very little movement.
But I got great RX directly after the net from the person who referenced missing the checkin, RX him at S3 and 1/3 of that green squelch meter deflection up.

I had to turn my TX way down, had problems with a surge protector relay clacking.  Ill be back at higher power next week!

Still was a great net, thanks NCS for all you do.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 7:34:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Does anyone know if you can use a Garmin GPS, W/USB cable to use as a way to set computer time in the field for digital modes? My current field computer does not like to keep accurate enough time without wifi connectivity.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 7:39:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Redbirdxx] [#16]
Originally Posted By Shootindave:
Does anyone know if you can use a Garmin GPS, W/USB cable to use as a way to set computer time in the field for digital modes? My current field computer does not like to keep accurate enough time without wifi connectivity.
View Quote

No idea about your actual question, but USB GPS dongles can be had pretty cheap on Amazon and setup is pretty straightforward.

Edit- I use one of these, no complaints- link
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 7:46:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I use this for portable Winlink:

Amazon Product
  • VK172 G-MOUSE USB GPS Receiver for Windows 10/8/7/VISTA/XP

Link Posted: 7/31/2023 8:05:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Reminder that we need a volunteer NC this week, or it can be a free for all -- I won't be around to NC tonight.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 6:47:41 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll be on my QDX tonight, probably RX only, so I can't NC. Even if I get TX ability by net time, 5w won't be great.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 6:54:17 PM EDT
[#21]
If I can gather the enthusiasm to get down to the radio room I can call the net.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#22]
id do it except for whatever reason I historically have abysmal coverage despite being out in the sticks despite having a balanced tuner with a doublet 45 feet up despite turning my solar inverter off
although it would probably do us some good to do a net where some of us are forced to relay
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#23]
I’ll be late if I make it at all. Not home yet.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 7:58:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Band doesn't sound bad here but I haven't heard/seen any test messages since I started sending net warnings a half hour ago.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a mess going on with this QDX. I was hoping to RX the net, but IDK.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 8:06:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nmbmxer] [#26]
Im calling for check-ins and my waterfall is empty, either there is something wrong with my station or the band is dead... I'll give it a couple of minutes then I'm hobbling back up stairs.

ETA: Going QRT, that was a waste of 45min... oh well... Thanks to any one who tried to participate tonight.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 8:29:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I had it on for quite awhile, still on. I didn't decode anything legible. I'm kind of hit or miss with you on 20m, so it could be this thing is messed up, propagation,  or both.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 3:57:57 PM EDT
[#28]
I could not make the net, but had it on.  Heard you in Denver.  I appreciate your effort. Will be on next week.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:55:11 PM EDT
[#29]
I should be present to NC tonight, thunderstorms permitting (they do look pretty likely today.)
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 1:57:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cobullseye] [#30]
On 20m and listening, watching for radio checks.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:13:06 PM EDT
[#31]
I heard someone testing, did not get a copy. Please try again if you wish.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:26:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By cobullseye:
I heard someone testing, did not get a copy. Please try again if you wish.
View Quote

Probably me, I was tuning the antenna at about 10W.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:49:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Active lightning in my area right now, we'll see how we're doing at pre-net time in ~ 45 minutes.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:17:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DarkLordVader] [#34]
Originally Posted By Nmbmxer:
Im calling for check-ins and my waterfall is empty, either there is something wrong with my station or the band is dead... I'll give it a couple of minutes then I'm hobbling back up stairs.

ETA: Going QRT, that was a waste of 45min... oh well... Thanks to any one who tried to participate tonight.
View Quote
Sorry to leave you hanging last week.  Was not on the radio that night.

20m propagation is pretty good tonight.  25W of FT8 is landing on 6 continents in the last 20 min.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 8:28:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Decent propagation tonight, I could hear everyone pretty well. A bit of fading was the only real negative.

six stations plus NC tonight.

Thanks for checking in!
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 3:17:05 PM EDT
[#36]
I should be present to NC this week, however heavy thunderstorms are expected around net
time, so I may have to go QRT at the worst possible moment -- I'll keep the thread up to date
on status when we're close to the start of the net.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Why is this called the guard channel?
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By taliv:
Why is this called the guard channel?
View Quote

In radio network speak a guard channel is one that "guarded,"  or watched (and listened to) even during times when they're not in use, and kept as a reserve frequency that everyone knows the purpose of and how to use it.

For us, it's a couple well-defined frequencies and a mode (Olivia 16/500) we know everyone else can hear and transmit reliably in most conditions that quite a few of us use during net times and some of us listen to outside of that, like if the forum is acting wonky or whatever else comes up (we've done a hurricane watch type thing for fellow members in risk areas, for example.) A few years ago we did and ad-hoc test for the channel and the test message covered Hawaii to Maine and all locations in between in about 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 6:58:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Starting to really rock and roll here thunderstorm wise, so we may need a volunteer for NC.

Currently getting about 2-3 strikes per minute at 5 miles and closing.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 7:06:04 PM EDT
[#40]
I don't do well on 20m, you are the only one that I can really hit.

I can do NC, but I would probably opt for 7120. There's a better chance that I could hear other stations.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 7:09:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks. I was hoping that was the answer but wasn’t sure.

I’ll try to make some bets in near future. Got to figure out Olivia.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#42]
I don't do well on 20m, you are the only one that I can really hit.

I can do NC, but I would probably opt for 7120. There's a better chance that I could hear other stations.
View Quote

The storm is starting to die down, so I may started with the warnings at 2330Z, but no idea if it's going to stay
that way. Haven't had a strike in about 5 minutes and the last one was 12 miles so it seems to be heading away.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 7:16:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By taliv:
Thanks. I was hoping that was the answer but wasn’t sure.

I’ll try to make some bets in near future. Got to figure out Olivia.
View Quote

FLdigi is probably the easiest free option for Olivia. It's got some quirks (especially the "if I see the cursor anywhere
in the transmits text I'll sit here and idle forever" one) but it works well for most of us.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 7:30:01 PM EDT
[#44]
sounds like someone is having RF in the shack issues. I've so been there.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 7:39:03 PM EDT
[#45]
I seem to be having RX issues. Signals appear to be coming in, I see them on the computer. But, 0% decoding.

I believe that I'm getting out.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 7:46:25 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm having RF feedback issues in the shack again.  I think I'm out for the night.  Time to tear down the ham desk and do a new, clean, re-wiring job this week and weekend.  

Hope I'm back to snuff next week.

Link Posted: 8/16/2023 7:48:47 PM EDT
[#47]
I seem to be having RX issues. Signals appear to be coming in, I see them on the computer. But, 0% decoding.

I believe that I'm getting out.
View Quote

I copied you twice saying you're not getting decodes.
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 7:57:18 PM EDT
[#48]
@GreenDragon
Check the squelch slider, it may be too high.
Rob
Link Posted: 8/16/2023 8:41:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Propagation was a little strange but I directly copied 3 of the 4 stations tonight without any
issues.

4 stations + NC today.

Link Posted: 8/16/2023 8:52:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Thanks for sticking around post net. I had a longer sign off thanking you, but i left the cursor in the middle when I hit submit. Tried to salvage it, but i jacked it up.

Rx problem was my slider on the right got moved up too high. My overall RX signal coming in seems weaker than normal.

My TX issue was a simple mistake. I shut down and rebooted FlDigi during the preamble to see if it would help. On reboot, it changed my radio from USB-D to USB. During TX, i looked at my meter and it was sending out 1/2watt. I looked up and saw USB, fixed it, and my signal out got much better.
Page / 38
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top