Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 38
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:09:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DarkLordVader] [#1]
Seems like I can reach NC but not getting 25-50% from NC.  

I am maybe hearing impaired.  Maybe I should try a noise reduction project on my end.  My experience with POTA is much lower noise in other places.  And I have not yet tried the breaker box isolation method.

NC dropped to 0% on the last 2 transmissions.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DarkLordVader:
Seems like I can reach NC but not getting 25-50% from NC.  

I am maybe hearing impaired.  Maybe I should try a noise reduction project on my end.  My experience with POTA is much lower noise in other places.  And I have not yet tried the breaker box isolation method.

NC dropped to 0% on the last 2 transmissions.
View Quote
You were just over the noise here, with a 500hz filter I could just make you out. For 20m and 120mi apart I'm always amazed we connect at all.

I was asking about your son, if he was at VT. You can reply via PM if you want.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:25:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Net closed at 2025L with 3 check-in's plus NCS.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:27:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm amazed at how well this works:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:58:27 PM EDT
[#5]
@weaponeer1911
Are you running that against a counterpoise or radials? Obviously it works, one of those 'stealth' antenna ideas that's efficient. My 100 watt notion of that would be an Icom AH-4 tuner, buried radials, and as much gutter length as possible.
Nearby lightning tonight, I'll try to be on the net next week.
Rob
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 9:08:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I could hear activity, but didn't see anything at all.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 9:09:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By robmkivseries70:
@weaponeer1911
Are you running that against a counterpoise or radials? Obviously it works, one of those 'stealth' antenna ideas that's efficient. My 100 watt notion of that would be an Icom AH-4 tuner, buried radials, and as much gutter length as possible.
Nearby lightning tonight, I'll try to be on the net next week.
Rob
View Quote

The small black wire coming off the ground stake is the standard CHA 25’ counterpoise wire. That’s all I use. It’s just laid out randomly on the ground, right now pointing roughly north.   The gutter is roughly 85’ along the roof and three 8’ downspouts like the one the hybrid is clipped to.   I’m using the internal tuner in the FTDX3000 which gives the radio a nice 1:1 match. Without the tuner it’s about 1.4:1.

I was running about 50 watts tonight.  If I run much more power I sometimes get some RF feedback issues with my USB ports.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 8:40:26 AM EDT
[#8]
@weaponeer1911
Thanks for the reply, tell me about the device on the ground, I figure it's a matching transformer for a random wire antenna. ARRL used to put out a book on stealth antennas, the whole idea appeals to me.
Rob
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:27:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By robmkivseries70:
@weaponeer1911
Thanks for the reply, tell me about the device on the ground, I figure it's a matching transformer for a random wire antenna. ARRL used to put out a book on stealth antennas, the whole idea appeals to me.
Rob
View Quote

The device on the ground is indeed a matching device from my Chameleon Antenna MPAS 2.0 portable antenna system, which I use often in different configurations.  They call it a "hybrid", but it actually seems to be a 5:1 ratio UNUN.  It can be used at the base of a vertical, or at the end of a random wire.  I also used the ground mount stake and counterpoise wire from the same kit.

https://chameleonantenna.com/shop-here/ols/products/cha-mpas-modular-portable-antenna-system-20

I have both the "mini" and "micro" versions.  When I saw a YouTube video on gutter antennas about a month ago I decided to give mine a try.  It seemed to me to be kinda sorta like an end fed random antenna so I figured the CHA hybrid unit might work.  It does.  In the first couple of hours I had it hooked up I worked Europe, Asia, South America and South Pacific on FT8 with about 40 watts (the micro-hybrid won't handle much more power than that on digital, that's why I bought a mini-hybrid version.)

If you have any kind of metal gutter system I'd say give it a try.  I was certainly pleasantly surprised at how well it works.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 2:56:23 PM EDT
[#10]
You come in maybe an S unit louder on the endfed, it's pretty impressive how your portable and gutter antennas work; at least for getting into VA.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 11:09:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll be present to NC tonight, hopefully I remember how to run the radio!
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#12]
No net for me, unexpected fridge shopping tonight.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By GreenDragon:
No net for me, unexpected fridge shopping tonight.
View Quote

We'll miss you... and be eating cold food.

Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:21:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Thunder boomers in the area, I'll sit out tonight.
Rob
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:26:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: seek2] [#15]
Conditions seemed fine to me, but it was a very small net tonight.

2 3 stations... eventually... plus NC.

ETA:
Here's the waterfall on the late station, looked kind of funny to me:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 9:24:24 PM EDT
[#16]
^What does that indicate?  

Looks like the work of termites.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 9:44:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By DarkLordVader:
^What does that indicate?  

Looks like the work of termites.  
View Quote

I'm really not sure. I've never see the waterfall have holes in the signals like that, which is
why I pasted the image. It could be a scaling artifact or something to do with an overdriven
signal (on either end, like when the Icom's "overflow" indicator comes on.)

It was weird, so I posted it in case someone else has seen it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 7:55:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Nmbmxer] [#18]
Originally Posted By seek2:
Conditions seemed fine to me, but it was a very small net tonight.

2 3 stations... eventually... plus NC.

ETA:
Here's the waterfall on the late station, looked kind of funny to me:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/266376/waterfall_png-2836033.JPG
View Quote
By late you mean me or the guy after me when the net was really over? Looks like a wide msfk mode. I talked to the guy after the net but he was ghost printing and I couldn't see anything on the waterfall. It sounded right but I don't know that fldigi didn't change modes when it decoded his rsid.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/4/2023 1:22:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Nmbmxer:
By late you mean me or the guy after me when the net was really over? Looks like a wide msfk mode. I talked to the guy after the net but he was ghost printing and I couldn't see anything on the waterfall. It sounded right but I don't know that fldigi didn't change modes when it decoded his rsid.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/68732/IMG_5163_jpeg-2839644.JPG
View Quote

No, the waterfall I captured was olivia near the end of the net. It was strong, decoded properly, but looked strange.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 12:09:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I should be present to NC tonight. 14067.5, reminders start at 2330Z.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 6:51:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: seek2] [#21]
I may be a bit late starting reminders depending on the departure time of a less than punctual contractor,
but I don't foresee any change in the net time itself of 0000Z.

First reminder out at 2330Z and I'm copying tests fine here.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 7:56:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I'll be in/out tonight.  Company just showed up.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:33:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Nice net, 4 stations + NC tonight.

Propagation was not like the hard-wired connection of 20M nets a month+ ago, but still pretty good.

Link Posted: 6/14/2023 12:36:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I'll be present to NC this evening. 20M, countdown start at 2330Z.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 1:03:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:37:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Propagation was very good this week, nearly everyone was S7 or better, 100% copy all stations.

Total of 5 stations + NC tonight.

Link Posted: 6/15/2023 12:44:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 12:35:09 PM EDT
[#28]
I'll be present to NC tonight's net.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 6:55:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Walked into the shack to find the hard drive failed in my shack pc. Hopefully I can get another pc moved over and fldigi setup this weekend.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:15:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Walked into the shack to find the hard drive failed in my shack pc. Hopefully I can get another pc moved over and fldigi setup this weekend.
View Quote

That's a bummer, how many hours did it have in use?
Rob
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Seems to be the day for gremlins, pulseaudio seems to have forgotten my settings. If anyone sees badness in my signals tonight
please let me know, I reset things but it was clearly heavily over-driving the 7300, I think I have that fixed but I'm not convinced.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:41:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Thunder boomers all around me tonight. Antennas disconnected. I’ll be a no-show tonight.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Propagation was rougher than I've seen in a while, everyone was S3-S5 here. Still had 100% copy on everyone.

5 stations + NC tonight.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:46:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nmbmxer] [#34]
I hooked up my packet pc to the HF rig and was able to listen to the net but didn't get all the audio setting right until 5min after it closed. Need to figure out if I have a backup of the macros I use somewhere...

ETA: Macro backup loaded, now I just need to figure out what I had set so it flrig would power on and off the 7300. That's how I would remote into the radio without leaving it on all the time.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 9:23:19 PM EDT
[#35]
I tried but could not get fldigi to work, even though it worked yesterday
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#36]
I'll be present to NC tonight's net, 20M/14067.5 still, reminders to start at 2330Z.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 6:48:40 PM EDT
[#37]
I can't physically get down to my shack tonight due to complications from my knee replacement.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 7:05:04 PM EDT
[#38]
I can't physically get down to my shack tonight due to complications from my knee replacement.
View Quote

Oh that sucks! I hope you get/feel better soon!
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 7:05:34 PM EDT
[#39]
hope you feel better, dealing with a similar issue.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 7:30:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nmbmxer] [#40]
My implant is doing great, fit is perfect and I can stand and not hurt for the first time in ages. Have great mobility, a cane is all I need to get around the house (surgery was two days ago.) But it's leaking - - a lot. When I bend it it's like Jed Clampett finding oil. My ortho Dr ordered a wound vac installed much to the dismay of the wound center at the hospital. Then they did a lymphatic wrap over it.

Attachment Attached File

I'm not supposed to bend it until it heals better and the swelling is down. I had it dead straight to 90deg the day after surgery but it swelled so much I can barely get 30deg out of it now.

Pain management is the biggest thing keeping me off the air. Too dizzy to walk down the stairs and there is no way I could use fldigi lol.

Link Posted: 6/28/2023 8:39:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Nice net. Propagation was a little strange, I had a couple stations booming in and one went from
barely copyable to zero copy.

Four stations + NC for this night's net.
Link Posted: 6/28/2023 8:53:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Nmbmxer, i hope you make a speedy recovery. That doesn't look like much fun.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 8:58:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#43]
My implant is doing great, fit is perfect and I can stand and not hurt for the first time in ages. Have great mobility, a cane is all I need to get around the house (surgery was two days ago.) But it's leaking - - a lot. When I bend it it's like Jed Clampett finding oil. My ortho Dr ordered a wound vac installed much to the dismay of the wound center at the hospital. Then they did a lymphatic wrap over it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/68732/IMG_5229_jpeg-2866962.JPG

I'm not supposed to bend it until it heals better and the swelling is down. I had it dead straight to 90deg the day after surgery but it swelled so much I can barely get 30deg out of it now.

Pain management is the biggest thing keeping me off the air. Too dizzy to walk down the stairs and there is no way I could use fldigi lol.

View Quote

Ouch!  Just listen to the docs for now.  

I know how that is.  Post bowel resection and sliced through ab muscle layers I couldn’t hardly bend to get in or out of bed and stairs sucked for nearly a week.   Getting out of bed would just about bring tears to my eyes.

Godspeed Old Man!
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 9:29:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Should be able to make the net tonight. Getting around pretty well without any assistance now and have about the same flexibility I had when leaving the hospital. That wrap was awful, felt like it wanted to rip my knee cap off.

Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:

Godspeed Old Man!
View Quote

Thanks for the kind thoughts. I’m sure it won’t be long before I’m lamenting my leg less on the air and back to complaining about who ever owned my latest dirt bike before me lol.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 12:31:14 PM EDT
[#45]
I should be able to NC tonight's net, as long as I can continue to remember today is Wednesday.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Caught a signal at 2332 looked like it wasn't Olivia 16/500, maybe 32/something?
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 8:18:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nmbmxer] [#47]
I got FLRIG to shut off my 7300 by entering this under the exit commands:
xFE xFE xFE x94 xE0 x18 x00 xFD
View Quote
The same place I got the exit command said this would turn it on too:
xFE xFE xFE xFE xFE xFE xFE xFE xFE xFE xFE xFE xFE xFE xFE xFE xFE xFE xFE xFE xFE xFE xFE xFE xFE xFE xFE xFE xFE xFE xFE xFE xFE xFE xFE x94 xE0 x18 x01 xFD
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

However when FLRIG boots and the radio is off it doesn't see the com port and it fails. With the rig off I can manually send it that hex string and it boots, even without seeing the com port.

I really want to figure out how I had this working on the computer with the failed HDD.Wi
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 8:34:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Conditions were pretty great tonight, a couple of you were past S9 and maxing out the SNR.

We had four stations + NC for tonight's net.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 8:36:06 PM EDT
[#49]
I got FLRIG to shut off my 7300 by entering this under the exit commands:The same place I got the exit command said this would turn it on too:https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/68732/Capture_PNG-2875135.JPG

However when FLRIG boots and the radio is off it doesn't see the com port and it fails. With the rig off I can manually send it that hex string and it boots, even without seeing the com port.

I really want to figure out how I had this working on the computer with the failed HDD.Wi
View Quote

How are you manually sending the string to a port that isn't there?
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 9:17:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By seek2:

How are you manually sending the string to a port that isn't there?
View Quote
I think what happened is it was on and initialized, then I could turn it off and then back on again. If it was off and I restarted FLRIG it wouldn't start. I don't recall having to do any of this with the other computer; it just worked idk.
Page / 38
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top