Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2024 9:34:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: usncorpsman1]
I smoked a shoulder for 2 hours and finished it off in the oven at 250 for another 8 hours. It was smoky, tender, juicy and all around delicious. Paired with my wife’s    dangerously delicious pinto beans and a cold Corona, I felt like I was in a Cuban restaurant. Those who shoot these guys and leave them to rot are missing out. If you take the time to wet age them for 5 days on ice and cold water, they will never taste gamey.

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:41:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#1]
Looks delicious!
I would eat that.
What round did you use?

I can only give you a 7/10 because no firearms, no blades, no alcohol in your dinner pic.

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:58:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: usncorpsman1] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By _DR:

Looks delicious!
I would eat that.
What round did you use?

I can only give you a 7/10 because no firearms, no blades, no alcohol in your dinner pic.

View Quote

Here you go. The star of last nights dinner who took the long sleep via a 75gr Speer bonded GDHP.

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 10:22:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 10:22:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Nicely done OP…
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 10:45:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice rig, nice pig!
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 12:24:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 12:35:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks good. I've never had wild hog (yet)
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 10:20:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had big boars still taste like piss after aging.

When I'm shooting 8 or more in a night, I'll take the back straps out of the small ones, and a couple of hams, but the big boars I'm still going to leave in the field.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 10:47:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By VaFish:

When I'm shooting 8 or more in a night, I'll take the back straps out of the small ones, and a couple of hams, but the big boars I'm still going to leave in the field.
View Quote

Yeah sometimes they just can’t be salvaged especially if they have been eating carrion.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 11:55:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By VaFish:

View Quote

@ VaFish

Do you think a salt brine could get that taste out?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 1:02:41 PM EDT
[#11]
That eyeball

I've only had one boar taste amazing but I've had enough to think they aren't as bad as commonly thought. That said I don't make much effort to harvest them because they are rarely delicious. If I'm going to eat hog, I prefer to harvest sows about 90 to 120 pounds
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:00:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Ronin72:

@ VaFish

Do you think a salt brine could get that taste out?
View Quote

I don't know, and I'm not going to bother finding out.   When I shoot a bunch, if a big boar smells like piss, I drag it out of the farmers field to the bone pile.  I'll cut up the little ones that taste good.  I usually don't even bother butchering the whole hog, just take the backstraps and hams out without gutting them.  If my son is there he has the knack for pulling the tenderloins without busting the gust open, reached through from the back the pulls them loose.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:06:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By TX-Zen:
That eyeball

I've only had one boar taste amazing but I've had enough to think they aren't as bad as commonly thought. That said I don't make much effort to harvest them because they are rarely delicious. If I'm going to eat hog, I prefer to harvest sows about 90 to 120 pounds
View Quote

The under 100 lb boars taste fine to me.  smoking some backstraps wrapped in bacon right now from a small boar we shot back in October.

We shot 11 last week.  Largest was a 191 lb boar.  He didn't smell bad and the other guys hunting with me wanted to make a bunch of sausage, so we took the backstraps and hams off of him.  I'll hear in a few weeks how the sausage turned out.
Top Top