Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2024 11:37:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Iowaredneck]
Looking to upgrade the scope on my 1990 remington 700 7mag with the same vintage leupold vari x 2 3-9x40

I use this for hunting but would like to do more longish range target shooting on my short list is a leupold vx5 cds unless there is something better at the same price point.

Link Posted: 1/24/2024 2:37:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like $1200 to $1900 price range.
I would look real hard at Nightforce scopes  once I got to the higher price range.

Kenton Ind. custom dial  this is a similar feature to what a CDS dial does. The advantage of dialing in correction is that it works at any power on a second focal plane scope. First focal plane scopes have a reticle that appears to get larger as the magnification increases but in fact the marks usually milldot based always represent the same thing. By knowing what bullet your rifle shoots and knowing velocity the custom engraved dial lets you dial to 3 for 300 yds 4 for 400 yds etc.

For about $600 you can get a 4-16 Vortex Viper that will dial in correction and has a lifetime warranty. Add Kenton Ind knobs
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 11:09:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Im not sure how to answer this...

I've got a Leupold Vx6 2-12.  It's fantastic.  My favorite features are the full 6 times power magnification.  I get the broad field of view of 2x, but can also dial into a more precise 12x.   I'm also a huge fan of the illuminated dot.  However, its a big and heavy scope.  I use this both as a big game rig, but its also my target/varmint rifle.

I've also got a Leupold Vx3 3.5-10x.  While they are available with CDS, mine is a non-cds version and I do not feel its any disadvantage.  I sight for a 200 yard zero.  At any range from muzzle to 250, I can simply place the cross hairs on the target (deer, moose) and squeeze off a round.  At most the point of impact is 2" high at 100, to roughly 4 inches or so low at 250 or so.    If its a 300 yard target, aim 8 inches high, meaning aim for the spine on a deer. The bullet drops in 7 to 9 inches.  This works with very nearly any modern bottleneck cartridge, from 243 thru to a magnum.  It works even better with your 7mm Rem Mag.  Unfortunately its limited to three times power magnification.

The VX3 is a 1" scope instead of the VX6 30mm.  I actually like that, as its less weight.  The image quality and light transmission are entirely sufficient for any reasonable aniticipated hunting use I do....

it really boils down to value for dollar.  What  "problem" do you have that the VX5 'fixes"?  What benefit do you get for the extra $500,  $600???

Link Posted: 2/3/2024 5:39:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File

My 300 WM has a VX5HD 3-15×
Light(ish)
Bright.
CDS worked well enough to get me a cold bore hit on a plate at 800 the first time using it.

Get the Alumina Caps right off the bat. Don't buy them after your scope is mounted and dialed.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 11:46:06 PM EDT
[#4]
OP, I did exactly the same with my 1984 vintage R700 Classic 7RM.  Had the same Vari-X II (gloss) 3-9x40 and replaced it with a VX5HD 3-15x44 CDS in Talley low rings.  Makes a nicely balanced combo with longish range capability.  Temporarily replaced it with a Huskemaw 5-20x50 Blue Diamond, but didn't like the weight on that rifle and went back to the VX5.  I also have a VX3HD 4.5-14 CDS on another rifle, I really like the Leupolds for the quality at their price point.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 12:07:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Son_of_Sven:
OP, I did exactly the same with my 1984 vintage R700 Classic 7RM.  Had the same Vari-X II (gloss) 3-9x40 and replaced it with a VX5HD 3-15x44 CDS in Talley low rings.  Makes a nicely balanced combo with longish range capability.  Temporarily replaced it with a Huskemaw 5-20x50 Blue Diamond, but didn't like the weight on that rifle and went back to the VX5.  I also have a VX3HD 4.5-14 CDS on another rifle, I really like the Leupolds for the quality at their price point.  
View Quote

Idk if there is a lot of facts behind it but on the western hunting pages I follow there is a lot  "My Leupold won't hold zero ill never buy another one Leupold has went completely to hell and their CS sucks"
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 3:11:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Iowaredneck:
Idk if there is a lot of facts behind it but on the western hunting pages I follow there is a lot  "My Leupold won't hold zero ill never buy another one Leupold has went completely to hell and their CS sucks"
View Quote

Haven't personally experienced either problem.  If I do, it may be time to go back to the Vari-X II.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:14:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Haven't personally experienced either problem.  If I do, it may be time to go back to the Vari-X II.  
View Quote

The old vari x has held zero since I got the rifle and she shoots

Link Posted: 2/10/2024 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Yours sure seems to handle those heavy boolits well.  Reminds me of mine with the OE Remington barrel/154 Interbonds/7828, but yours is more accurate.  I've since put a 24" Brux in 7RM on mine, it likes 160 Partitions/RL22 as well as 180 Bergers/H1000.  This year is for development of a 150 Scirocco II load with H4831SC.

Always hunted with the Vari-X II on the OE barrel, either the VX5 or Huskemaw since the re-barrel.  I tend not to have to dial elevation too much anyway.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 7:18:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Iowaredneck] [#9]
Yours sure seems to handle those heavy boolits well.  Reminds me of mine with the OE Remington barrel/154 Interbonds/7828, but yours is more accurate.  I've since put a 24" Brux in 7RM on mine, it likes 160 Partitions/RL22 as well as 180 Bergers/H1000.  This year is for development of a 150 Scirocco II load with H4831SC.

Always hunted with the Vari-X II on the OE barrel, either the VX5 or Huskemaw since the re-barrel.  I tend not to have to dial elevation too much anyway.
View Quote

I like the partition for hunting better they don't shoot quite as good but still plenty accurate
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 2:42:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
Sounds like $1200 to $1900 price range.
I would look real hard at Nightforce scopes  once I got to the higher price range.

Kenton Ind. custom dial  this is a similar feature to what a CDS dial does. The advantage of dialing in correction is that it works at any power on a second focal plane scope. First focal plane scopes have a reticle that appears to get larger as the magnification increases but in fact the marks usually milldot based always represent the same thing. By knowing what bullet your rifle shoots and knowing velocity the custom engraved dial lets you dial to 3 for 300 yds 4 for 400 yds etc.

For about $600 you can get a 4-16 Vortex Viper that will dial in correction and has a lifetime warranty. Add Kenton Ind knobs
View Quote

@Urimaginaryfrnd I actually looked at those not really cheap at $160 but this set up has a lot of sentimental value my dad got it for me Christmas of 1990 cause I always dreamed of being an elk hunter
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 6:16:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#11]
The elevation dial being marked or knowing dope for hold over is important. You can just write down ballistic data and tape it to the stock that’s the cheap way to do it and if you are willing to take the time to verify the data at known distances on the range that will build confidence.

I know this is going to sound stupid but I put my Remington in an MDT chassis and got way better groups.
Lots of things make a difference. Talley makes good rings and bases.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 7:10:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
The elevation dial being marked or knowing dope for hold over is important. You can just write down ballistic data and tape it to the stock that’s the cheap way to do it and if you are willing to take the time to verify the data at known distances on the range that will build confidence.

I know this is going to sound stupid but I put my Remington in an MDT chassis and got way better groups.
Lots of things make a difference. Talley makes good rings and bases.
View Quote

Yeah I have dope taped to all my hunting rifles but dialing would be way easier. 16 elk and the longest was a little over 400 followed by 350 and 330 but the opportunity for longer could aways show up
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 5:46:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I put one on mu old M70 to use on a trip out west.  I'm very happy with it.

Then I got a VX6 3-18 with the firedot reticle.  I wish I would have got the firedot on the VX5.  

I get A pretty good discount on Leupold, hence the reason I stick with them.    

If you get a 5, I highly recommend springing for the Alumina scope caps.  If you get a 6, they are included.
Top Top