Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2024 7:17:43 PM EDT
Dumb question time. Messing around with the baofengs and there are multiple repeaters programmed with the same call sign. Just realized they may transmit the same messages. So should I reprogram one radio to only scan the closest repeater of each call sign? Is it the same message? Maybe why I sometimes get a great contact and other times its bad.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#1]
It depends, what does the info about the repeaters say?

Are they on the same band or different bands?

Having the same call sign just means they are  owned by the same call sign / ham.

Around here there are 2 repeaters with the same call on the same band that are linked as a network to cover a larger area. I have them all programmed because when I travel, I pick the closest one.

The ones with the same call but on different bands are not linked here, but that doesn't mean it can't be linked someplace else. It all depends on what the ham that set them up wanted to do. There is no standard.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 7:50:10 PM EDT
[#2]
No, there's no connection between callsign and what's carried on the repeater.

In my area a couple clubs that have been around since the time club callsigns existed run most
of the repeaters, so there's literally dozens with the same calls, and all carry different conversations
unless linking is turned on.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 9:52:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I have gotten into 10meter FM repeaters and talked to guys in Calif and NY who were on VHF or UHF

I can think of a bunch of clubs who have a VHF, a UHF, and they are not linked, but have the same call.

Link Posted: 7/27/2024 8:22:12 AM EDT
[#4]
My local club has 4 repeaters.  2 are linked to eachother, one is linked to another club's repeater and one stands alone.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 10:27:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Wisconsin has a couple of linked repeater networks. WE9COM is one that has pretty dang good coverage across the state. It is VHF, and there is the Wisconson interstate network, which is UHF. It is more limited than we9com.
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I looked on the local repeater website and it shows linked to another in Tulsa. Thanks everyone. I'll get chirp out and reprogram these radios. I moved since setting them up the first time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top