Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2024 11:18:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HogSniper]
Can't connect to my KAT500 tuner via computer. I tried other ports, 2 separate computers, reinstalled all the FTDI drivers & Elecraft KAT500 utility program. I ordered another KXUSB cable from Elecraft, same issue. All the ports are showing properly in my device manager. I can see the light on the KXUSB cable flicker when it tries to communicate. I've been using the tuner manually via the front panel for past few weeks. The biggest bummer is I have port #3 shut off in the tuners configuration. No way to open it manually that I'm aware of.

I haven't changed anything in the shack, just one day it would not connect. I don't see a way to reset the tuner to its factory defaults without the utility program. May have to pack it up & send it back to Elecraft.

Any ideas?

I fired off an email to Elecraft support, see if they answer.
Link Posted: 10/1/2024 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Lightning damage to the comm port? Have you had any electrical storms recently?
Link Posted: 10/1/2024 6:13:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HogSniper] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By K9-Bob:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By K9-Bob:

No major lightning just terribly hot. I unplug the USB cables from tuner & the TS590 after each session. I also unplug all power & ground from the outside world each time. Only thing I leave plugged in is the PC. I will leave things plugged in during fair weather or if I plan to play radio later that day, but always unplug before going to bed. Learned my lesson when I got hit several years ago & fried the TS590's USB port because I left it plugged into the PC. I use the 2 front USB ports on my tower for easy access. We had a few power outages while shack was powered up, maybe that caused an issue.  Starting to look like the PC data port in the KAT500 is hosed up somehow.

Elecraft tech was quick to reply to my email.
Thanks fo your email to Elecraft Customer Support.
Sorry for the need.

There is no way to reset the KAT500 to factory defaults without using computer utility.
The KXUSB cable into the PC DATA port can be such a snug fit that the cable is not well seated.
Please check that the plug is in and fully inserted.

Also, please ensure no other port complications are occurring:
just run the KAT500 Utility, do not use a port concentrator (one in 5 out for example): plug straight into the PC.

Failing that, sending  the unit back for repair is under our RSA Return Service Authorization program.
If the unit is under warranty, you only pay the cost of shipping to Watsonville CA.
Otherwise, you pay for shipping both directions, and a minimum charge of $125.00 for diagnosis and repair.

Link Posted: 10/3/2024 11:23:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alembic] [#3]
Good luck getting that sorted. I don't have that unit. As an aside, Elecraft should take care of you they have always been helpful when I call. Kind of terse, but helpful, lol.

Link Posted: 10/4/2024 9:43:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#4]
have you tried a different USB port on the computer?

have you tried a different computer?

have your tried control via ethernet instead of USB?

I would try all that before shipping the amp back

maybe it isnt the amp
Link Posted: 10/4/2024 1:24:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Mach:
have you tried a different USB port on the computer?

have you tried a different computer?

have your tried control via ethernet instead of USB?

I would try all that before shipping the amp back

maybe it isnt the amp
View Quote

I haven't tried ethernet yet, that easy to do?

Link Posted: 10/21/2024 2:03:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HogSniper] [#6]
Follow up: I figured out my issue. Finally had some time to check the cable I got from Elecraft. The 3.5mm connector was bad.
I wired a new staright connector up & voila, computer talking to tuner once again.
The 1st cable went bad on USB end  after several years, I think the FTDI chip failed.

The original plug from Elecraft fits a tad more loose. This new one is snug, that was most likely the problem. The port on the tuner may be wallowed out a little also.
Link Posted: 10/21/2024 2:27:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#7]
glad you got it figured out

is is always the cable

I had a problem with my amp tripping on 10 meters. Thought I had it fixed several times, but didnt.

finally figured it out after 2 years

it was the coax cable from the radio to the amp somehow causes increasing swr on the tuner between the amp and the antenna with increasing power. maybe a poor / bad shield in the cable allowing RFI in the input of the amp, i dont know

i still do not understand that one, but it was that cable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top