Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2024 11:29:42 AM EDT
Last year my father and I started going to Oklahoma to hunt pigs on our cousins property.

First trip, first sit.  Had 4 come in and shot 2.  This is easy!.

Next 3 trips, nothing.  Put corn out. Would sit a couple places a night. No sightings but lots of pig sign.

Today I'm heading down for a quick weekend solo scouting trip. I've wondered if there was something better than just corn to put out.  Earlier in the week I watched some hog bait videos and ran to the grocery store.

Here's what I tried.
5 gallon bucket with 4 gallons of corn in it.
3 boxes of strawberry jello.
4 envelopes of Cherry koolaid.
a half gallon of fruit punch
1 pound of dehydrated marshmallows.
a gallon of water as liquid was absorbed

Mixed up two days before the hunt.  Would of liked to have done yeast and let it sour for a week but I have to transport this in my suv and I don't want to smell this shit for 5 hours if my lid doesn't seal right.

I'll bait today and tomorrow and see what comes in.  Going to recon this afternoon to see where they're active.  Going to try some different locations.  Emphasis on hunting the wind and being quiet.

One of my local gunshops heard I was going pig hunting and insisted I try their demo thermal scope.  Apparently they've sold several but none of their customers have reported back with actual feedback.  It doesn't do video or photos though.
Sighted it in on a 6.5grendel 12.5 pistol last weekend. Will be shooting suppressed.  Using a Infiray T2 Pro thermal camera for a scanner.

Wish me luck. I'll update as I can.

Link Posted: 3/10/2024 9:16:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Good luck. I would suggest scouting nearby if you can get permission pig’s are notorious for running a distance and if the ground is good staying for sometime before venturing back.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:42:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sparkyD:
Good luck. I would suggest scouting nearby if you can get permission pig’s are notorious for running a distance and if the ground is good staying for sometime before venturing back.
View Quote

Ding, ding, ding.  I think at this point we've learned this the hard way now.  No pigs.

There was sign everywhere but nothing concentrated like there was a resident population.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#3]
The problem with baiting is that it takes the pigs a few days or even weeks to find the bait.   You can't just dump some corn on the ground and expect the pig to find it that night.

When I go to my cousins place hog hunting, he fills his deer feeders a couple weeks before we come down to get the hogs coming in.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By VaFish:
The problem with baiting is that it takes the pigs a few days or even weeks to find the bait.   You can't just dump some corn on the ground and expect the pig to find it that night.

When I go to my cousins place hog hunting, he fills his deer feeders a couple weeks before we come down to get the hogs coming in.
View Quote

Yeah, We have my aunt start putting out corn before we come down but I think she's pretty hit or miss on remembering.  

I scout to find places with the most sign and try to use the bait to get them to come out of cover for a shot.  Problem is there's sign everywhere but not a concentration in any one spot.  Also there's not a big number of pigs.

I actually ran into a sounder in the middle of the night trying to find a pig trap to check.  They were in thick brush and bunched up like they were in a trap and kinda walking in circles.  I just wasn't 100% positive they were pigs through the thermal and convinced myself that they were in a trap anyway so I continued looking for the trap and didn't shoot.  In reality they were probably 50 yards away and 100 yards from the trap by the time I found it.   I was in thick river bottom brush.
Top Top