Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2023 10:20:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dana]
This is kind of a cross post because i would like to fly fish so i also posted it there. But i am open to bait fishing. I will be in Crystal River area Florida this fall. I have access to a kayak and a mangrove area. I went out last year with a cheap spun rod and cought some small fish with shrimp. I thing the were sea trout?

This year i would like to try to catch snook or red fish. But any fish are good. I am normaly a fly fisher man in Montana. I would like to get a budget 7wt fly rod and give it a try but i am open to sticking with a spin rod if it is better. I dont know crap about this type of fishing. Any advice or pointer. I would prefer to do this myself without a guide. Mostly because of cost but also because i like being independent.  But i also know they are a great recorce to learn.Any guide recomendations are welcome.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 10:58:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Most folks don't fly fish for snook. It's usually top water lures and bait fish.

Snook range expanding north to Nature Coast
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 2:46:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By flcracker:
Most folks don't fly fish for snook. It's usually top water lures and bait fish.

Snook range expanding north to Nature Coast
View Quote

Good to know this. I really didnt know.
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 6:16:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gilly19] [#3]
Likely to do more fishing than catching with a fly rod if you’re learning the area. I do fly fish for snook, but it’s way harder. Recommend a spinning rod, 7’ medium light, and 2500-3000 series reel with 10, 12, or 15lb braid. Buy fluorocarbon leader in 15, 25, and 40lb.

For snook, I prefer mirrolure mirrodines. You’ll also want to throw gold/silver spoons and jig heads with soft plastics. Maybe no better experience than early morning snook on top water, Zara spook is the go to.

Take your time and don’t get discouraged if you get skunked a few times. Enjoy the time on the water. Hire a guide for a day to cut down learning curve.
Top Top