Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2024 10:01:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: prebans]
Link Posted: 9/30/2024 10:06:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NAM] [#1]
+1

Found this out the hard way, but eventually ended up with Philips as well. So far, so good.
Link Posted: 10/1/2024 1:13:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Have you had amy luck with LEDs?

The time savings alone might be worth it if they'll last for you.
Link Posted: 10/1/2024 2:33:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By onthebreeze:
Have you had amy luck with LEDs?
The time savings alone might be worth it if they'll last for you.
View Quote

Higher initial investment, but I've replaced like 2-3 out of ~50 LED bulbs in the last 10 years.
Link Posted: 10/1/2024 2:42:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rossi] [#4]
Originally Posted By prebans:
I’m a “blue to no collar” landlord in the rust belt.  (Discussed this and lessons I’ve learned here and here.)  Just dealing with an annoying experience which could be helpful if your preps include stocking normal light bulbs.

Avoid the Feit Electric brand.  I burn through over two dozen cases of bulbs annually.  Philips bulbs are $1.56/ea.  This adds up at 24+ cases.  So I got excited when Amazon recommended Feit Electric bulbs at $1.16/ea.  That’s a 25% savings!

Feit is just as bright until they die maybe 60-75 days after installation.  The Philips bulbs normally last me a year.  So 75% of the price for just 15-20% of the lifespan.    (This ignores my workmen’s time when I’m paying them by the hour and when they should be doing other things versus re-installing bulbs from premature death.)  I use many bulbs 24/7 in common areas inside enclosed fixtures; NOT the best environment for LEDs.  But the Philips and Feit bulbs got used the same way.  Some people have asked whether I just got a bad batch, but I’ve never had a bad Philips batch over a decade of purchasing them.  If I did get crap cases, it still speaks to Feit’s lower quality.

So if your preps include normal bulbs, Feit brand bulbs are no bargain.  I’d rather pay 25% more for 80-85% more lifespan.  

BAD:  Feit Electric

Recommended:  Philips
View Quote

I stopped using Feit years ago when I bought their LEDs and the moment I turned them on they interfered with my radios.  Never had any problems with Philips and Osram.   Don't know about lifespan since I replaced them right after.  However, the crap design that interferes with other stuff indicates that brand is a POS.   Philips and Osram last a very long time.  I don't even remember the last time I replaced a LED bulb.

Link Posted: 10/1/2024 7:45:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/1/2024 8:03:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I only use Phillips LED bulbs now.

I've tried an Amazon flavor and a couple off-brands.  Either they don't hit the advertised lumens or they crap out in a year.

I've got Phillips led bulbs I took from my old house.  They've got to be 7-8 years old and still going strong.
Link Posted: 10/1/2024 8:41:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By prebans:

These are LED bulbs.  Unless you’re talking about something else?
View Quote

My bad, at that price and short life I assumed not LED.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top