Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2023 5:38:14 PM EDT
Yesterday was the opener, we took 4 limits.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Go fishing if you can! It had been awhile since they cancelled the salmon season back in April.

Link Posted: 11/5/2023 5:53:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice take. They are pretty good sized.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 5:58:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice feast
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 5:59:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Excellent catch!

My favorite crab.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 7:36:42 PM EDT
[#4]
My grandfather had crab traps when he lived in Sequim. Went out in the morning with pots and were eating them for lunch.

That fresh they taste nothing like what we can get 300 miles away, probably 3-4 days old.

Only thing I miss about the coast is the seafood. Weather is not conducive to outdoor activities most of the time.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 8:09:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoseCuervo] [#5]
The last couple of years we have only been able to run "hoops", and not "traps". This is an attempt to keep whales safe from getting tangled in the line.

Traps you could keep out for days / a week as the catch can't escape. With the hoops, you can't do that because once they eat the bait the crabs leave, this forces you to check the traps the same day, and the side goal being you would find a snagged whale before you kill it.

The downside is the crab can escape if you are not quick on pulling the hoop from the bottom, as soon as it leaves the seafloor, they know something is wrong and start climbing out. If you don't have a competent crew ( ), you can lose some. We lost a jumbo from the top of the hoop right at the boat. Keep a landing net handy just for that reason.

Oh, a gaff or boat hook that floats, to grab the buoy is a nice thing. Ask me how I know.

Link Posted: 11/5/2023 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#6]
That’s one of the things I miss the most about Sequim, Wa.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 8:43:02 PM EDT
[#7]
A final tip when it comes to cooking them, is kill them by cutting or tearing them in half, and then clear from the carapace and gills. This way you can cook more than twice as many at a time and not cook anything but meat (not a mustard fan). If she can do it...

How to humanely kill, cook and crack Dungeness crab (new and improved video!)

Link Posted: 11/5/2023 9:27:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I have eaten all sorts of crab and try any new one I haven't tried before.  Dungeness is still my all time favorite crab.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 9:49:52 PM EDT
[#9]
When you’re using hoops try wrapping your bait up in old shredded pantyhose. This will keep the crabs from running off.
Link Posted: 11/5/2023 11:01:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Oldmikey:
When you’re using hoops try wrapping your bait up in old shredded pantyhose. This will keep the crabs from running off.
View Quote

We use bait bags and jars, they can't run off with it them. They just stay until they eat it all. The jars get whatever, from the cheapest chicken, to leftover sardines that were live bait last year for halibut or salmon, to cat food. We stuff the bags with leftover carcasses from caught salmon, halibut or cod.  We will happily trade, any day, a carcass or a can of cat food for any number of Dungeness crab. A large salmon head is my favorite bait in a bag.

The main key on baiting hoops or traps is to make sure they have to be inside the trap or hoop to eat the bait, if they can eat from outside of the trap one is just wasting time and bait. Get them inside if you want to catch them. Fasten the bait at the very bottom in the center of the hoop. As my bud Schad says, do the same thing every time when baiting traps or recovering them. He wasn't pictured, but used to fish commercially and regularly showed up at the dock with his fish monger waiting to buy 500+ crabs from him for $10 each per week. A one man show. That is hard work.

Link Posted: 11/6/2023 12:00:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Wizard_Of_Odd] [#11]
How many in a limit down there? Here in Oregon four limits would be 48 and we would be eating crab for days.
Link Posted: 11/6/2023 12:16:36 AM EDT
[#12]

10 Per person, per day bag limit here.

Is there a possession limit? As in, can you offload to shore and then head back out for more?

Thanks-

Here, there is for salmon, but the more I crab fish with my buds the more nervous they get, and the fish cops, as designed I think, leave the regulations very unclear.

I'd like a bit of slack on the interpretation. My online license is four feet long, compared to my buds' in person one.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 4:15:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Glad to see you prep them the right way before boiling!  Can't wait to get back on the water.  My boat is currently in the shop getting a full conversion.
Top Top