Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2022 11:35:24 AM EDT
Hey guys, just got gifted an old aluminum fishing boat from grandfather.   1984 alumacraft lunker 14. ( 14 foot).  
   It's water worthy but looks beat up , old wood etc . ( As of now mainly cosmetic).   I want to update it.     New steering wheel, seats and new flooring.     It currently has the original red astro turf.  I'd like to replace it but I'm not sure what's the modern equivalent?  Do they use that turf material any more? Is it the equivalent of a fudd gun?  Something better? Cheaper?    Thanks
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 7:58:45 AM EDT
[#2]
My brother redid a 1970 14' V Hull about 10 years ago.

Made the seats out of Starboard/ Taco board.

Holding up well.
And doubles as his cutting board, lol.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 8:20:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Check out Tiny Boat Nation Tricked Tin’s and Anthony Jones on YouTube. There’s all kinds of tin boat restoration and build’s on the internet. Hydro turf seems to be the in thing now. I’m leaning Raptor line or a spray on none slip version. I can’t cut a straight line to save my life. One question you need to ask your self is do you like to go barefoot if so the carpet or hydro turf is the way to go. If you plan to bow fish a lot vinyl or spray on is the easiest to clean. Good luck looking forward to pictures.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 8:16:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Got to stripping the old floors and carpeting off the boat.   Gonna replace the wood and I think I'm gonna go with a bluish marine carpeting/ turf.  This is basically a full on project as I need to install front lights, new seats, steering wheel etc.    

I'm gonna keep the lay out the same with just newer stuff.  I need a new tarp.  The one I have is a generic one that is ill fitting.   Any recommendations for a 14 foot alumacraft lunker 14 that is easy to hook up when I'm solo AND won't break the bank?

I'll probably keep this post alive with questions as I'll be going through this over the next few months.  

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nfZeoQmQUXYhtdF67

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kxURnQCKbFCdo4hw9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DLVhqxWuPJbXL5gV8
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 9:18:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KB7DX] [#5]
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 9:38:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nightstalker32] [#6]
Do you mean the hose that hooks to gas can? Also has a prime squeeze?

Also,. Is there a specific foam to use?  Or just similar to that block foam that's in it?
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:55:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 10:10:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Almost done stripping the floors etc.   I wanna paint the interior.   Same color it currently is just newer.  Seen " Total Boat" paint.  
      I don't need it to be perfect and don't really wanna strip all the old paint.    Doable?
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 3:41:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I look forward to seeing the finished project.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:07:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Hey guys,. Finally got around to Taking entire wooden floor off, carpeting off and repairing a few loose rivets.     I had to remove the original live well in order to access the remnants of the old carpeting.    I was looking for a replacement live well.    I can't seem to find something that doesn't cost an insane price.   Ideally it would be aluminum as it's an aluminum boat.   I already have some hoses, pump etc from the previous well.   I also would like to use it as an extra seat.   Any help or guidance?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:35:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Neat project.

I bet that old boat has seen a lot of bass, walleyes, pike, bluegills, etc. over its gunnels.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:46:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Nightstalker32] [#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By eracer:
Neat project.

I bet that old boat has seen a lot of bass, walleyes, pike, bluegills, etc. over its gunnels.
View Quote

Was my grandfather's in northern Wisconsin. Poskin lake .  Also took up to Alaska several times a yr in early 2000's.  
    It's " fun" but becoming a pain in the ass.  I wanted it ready for spring/ summer next year but at this rate I doubt I'd have the floors installed.   I also can't find parts for such an old boat.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:47:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice boat OP.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 10:28:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey guys, couldn't get much work done on my boat throughout the summer.   Just finished the new electrical wiring. ( My brother in law is an electrician , he installed it).
  I was hoping to begin the flooring right before or right after winter.  
     As for the plywood for the flooring, I've heard to use Marine plywood and not treated plywood.  Is Marine plywood usually sold at big box stores? ( I have a Lowe's, Menards and home Depot near me ).   Is it usually called something different? ( Extreme weather, etc ).

Have you guys found that using a different type of plywood works just as good without the cost ?

I'm going to measure it and then attach the carpeting with glue and staples . ( bought the carpet and glue from boatcarpet.com)
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 1:59:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: akcaribouhunter] [#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Nightstalker32:
Hey guys, couldn't get much work done on my boat throughout the summer.   Just finished the new electrical wiring. ( My brother in law is an electrician , he installed it).
  I was hoping to begin the flooring right before or right after winter.  
     As for the plywood for the flooring, I've heard to use Marine plywood and not treated plywood.  Is Marine plywood usually sold at big box stores? ( I have a Lowe's, Menards and home Depot near me ).   Is it usually called something different? ( Extreme weather, etc ).

Have you guys found that using a different type of plywood works just as good without the cost ?

I'm going to measure it and then attach the carpeting with glue and staples . ( bought the carpet and glue from boatcarpet.com)
View Quote
Marine plywood uses better grade of wood and glue.

But you can epoxy regular plywood and it will last quite awhile.
There are videos out there on how to do it.

I just replaced a floor board on our boat.
Epoxied it and painted it. Also added traction sand.

The original plywood had vinyl flooring glued and stapled.
It rotted where the staples went in and the glued failed.
Link Posted: 10/23/2023 8:18:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Top Top