Posted: 4/25/2024 5:48:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#2]
NOooooo!  ::said in whiny Luke voice::
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:53:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow, only been in the hobby a short time but it seems that everyone owns MJF products. So many American businesses destroyed by the Chinese and their germ warfare.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:08:46 PM EDT
[#4]
That's a bummer.  They were around far before my time and like another poster said, it seems everyone owns something MFJ.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:15:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K9-Bob] [#5]
Martin was a hell of an engineer and the genius behind many of the most popular MFJ products.  I will certainly miss their automatic antenna tuners for sure.

RIP MFJ
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:29:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Unless my GoogleFu is weak, I cannot find anything official about MFJ closing outside of the post on Gigapart's Facebook page.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:33:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_Man] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chumpmiester:
Unless my GoogleFu is weak, I cannot find anything official about MFJ closing outside of the post on Gigapart's Facebook page.

View Quote
It's also linked on MFJ's facebook.

https://mailchi.mp/62e24f2ccc99/a-heavy-sad-heart?_aem_AX8J84a9slfBysXQwkux93hdQV_zMP9M6xxMeXO6mF9JBh_nmbVVZIWDFOkA1ALWZUzvaxoSzH7E8EfzJf7TZoxR
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:54:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By K9-Bob:
Martin was a hell of an engineer and the genius behind many of the most popular MFJ products.  I will certainly miss their automatic antenna tuners for sure.

RIP MFJ
View Quote

I'm really wondering what options will be left for automatic tuners. SGC closed up a few years ago as well.

I've had nothing but problems with LDG.

Went to look at HRO, once you remove MFJ and sister company products all that's left is Alinco, Icom, LDG, Palstar and Yaesu,
and most of those aren't even close to QRO power.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:12:24 PM EDT
[#9]
This is a huge bummer...  There is a mountain of radio products that will no longer be available.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:28:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By FlatlandBusa:
This is a huge bummer...  There is a mountain of radio products that will no longer be available.
View Quote

Yea that sucks, of course they earned the nickname of Mighty Fine Junk, but the reality is many people have some MFJ manufactured items that work fine. They were really the last kit type company out there! I joke a bit, but this is sad to see. That is 2 ham radio companies this week with Harbach being sold now MFJ closing.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:31:55 PM EDT
[#11]
A combination of miserable propagation and too many new licensees who dont have any technical interest will do that...

Build, not buy. This is Amateur Radio, not Buy Radio.

And theres no such thing as an antenna tuner.

Build a correct antenna and Band Aids arent necessary.

I have 3 Fooler boxes in the closet. Useless.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:46:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By k8byp:
A combination of miserable propagation and too many new licensees who dont have any technical interest will do that...

View Quote

Guess my setup is useless
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Not surprising given MFJ's age. Very sad that he could not or did not want to find a buyer. Tempted to stock up on a couple of tuners...
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:06:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow - I wonder if anyone will buy them and continue.  Otherwise no more Ameritron amps, no more kilowatt tuners.  They have some good products and will leave a huge hole in the market place when they leave.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:20:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Kind of sad they bought so many brands without a better exit plan.  

Anything I should try and get before they close?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:27:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NAM] [#16]

View Quote

You clearly have no clue.
Attachment Attached File

Glad I bought my 998 when I did. MFJ can be shit quality, but they have a lot of decent items. You just need to give them a quick peek like you would Heathkit gear that was assembled by someone else.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:30:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KB7DX] [#17]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Mighty
Fine
Junk

Seriously though, it would be hard to find a station without a single MFJ or Ameritron item.

Sad day indeed.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:55:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Too bad to see.  Wonder what will happen to the manufacturing equipment and if someone with the know-how could buy it and continue or refine production.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:00:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Macumazahn:
Too bad to see.  Wonder what will happen to the manufacturing equipment and if someone with the know-how could buy it and continue or refine production.

View Quote

Evidently it’s been for sale for months with no interest.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:04:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Hopefully they dump inventory at Xenia. I would get a higher rated manual tuner.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:08:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jambalaya] [#22]
I hope someone buys Ameritron and keeps making the amps.  

I might want to buy an amp soon, and the alternatives are all out of my price range.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:23:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By seek2:
I'm really wondering what options will be left for automatic tuners. SGC closed up a few years ago as well.

Went to look at HRO, once you remove MFJ and sister company products all that's left is Alinco, Icom, LDG, Palstar and Yaesu,
View Quote

KM3KM now has a legal limit auto tuner. They are a small outfit and when they release a batch for sale, they usually are gone almost instantly. People seem to like them. Based upon the experience I've had with the power amp I bought from them, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their tuners, if I needed one. My MFJ 998 is soldiering along just fine, though.

https://www.km3km.com/product/mercuryat/

Guess my setup is useless
View Quote

Yup. When you are booming in here at 59+10, I always shake my head and think "that poor fellow and his useless station..."
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:48:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By seek2:

View Quote

Their tuners are very good when correctly assembled.  I have a couple of the ATR-30 tuners here and run up to legal limit digital through them into a 110" doublet on 160-10 without issue. Most other manufacturers don't come close with power handling or matching range.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:51:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By stanprophet09:

Yea that sucks, of course they earned the nickname of Mighty Fine Junk, but the reality is many people have some MFJ manufactured items that work fine. They were really the last kit type company out there! I joke a bit, but this is sad to see. That is 2 ham radio companies this week with Harbach being sold now MFJ closing.
View Quote

They definitely earned the Mighty Fine Junk nickname, my ATR-30 tuner came with spare nuts and washers rattling around in it as well as several cold solder joints, once those issues were repaired it has functioned well.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:53:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlatlandBusa] [#26]
Originally Posted By Emoto:

KM3KM now has a legal limit auto tuner. They are a small outfit and when they release a batch for sale, they usually are gone almost instantly. People seem to like them. Based upon the experience I've had with the power amp I bought from them, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their tuners, if I needed one. My MFJ 998 is soldiering along just fine, though.

https://www.km3km.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/MG_8388-ok-RE-600x413.png
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.km3km.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/MG_8388-ok-RE-600x413.png

I have been trying to snag one of the Mercury tuners for awhile now, hopefully soon.

Yup. When you are booming in here at 59+10, I always shake my head and think "that poor fellow and his useless station..."

It always cracks me up when a low information operator says you need a resonant antenna for it to perform well.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:45:27 PM EDT
[#27]

It always cracks me up when a low information operator says you need a resonant antenna for it to perform well.
View Quote
I have a MFJ 2389 multi band vertical antenna that I have to run through my external auto tuner no matter what. My FTDX just doesn't like that antenna. I have also been using the tuner with my home made 10m dipole to work 12m and 15m with good success.

I have an MFJ-941E manual runner that I had to make a few repairs to before it would work properly.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:18:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By aa777888-2:
Not surprising given MFJ's age. Very sad that he could not or did not want to find a buyer. Tempted to stock up on a couple of tuners...
View Quote

I'm thinking the same. In fact ordered a back 994-BRT from HRO while typing this out.

Will probably go back for a second once this one arrives.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:24:21 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Did you come from eHam or QRZ to post this? Lots of sad ham anger in your post.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:25:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Just thinking about products I have from MFJ, I've got 3 manual tuners, an EFHW antenna, a common mode choke, an antenna analyzer (I don't use this much anymore), a power supply, and a loop tuner.  That's all I can think of for now, but there may be more.  

There were a few items in their catalog that I wanted to play around with, but never really took top priority so I never bought them.  

I have read a lot of jokes about "mighty fine junk", etc, but for the most part everything I have from them works as expected.  My only gripe is excessively tight SO-239 connectors on their tuners.

I'll be sad to see them go.  It's a shame none of his family wanted to step up and run the business.  I am surprised no one wanted it.  With all the infrastructure in place, someone with the right resources and background could have a working business ready to go.  But who knows?  Maybe potential buyers have looked at the books and changed their minds.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:35:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Im new to HF myself but well familiar with the brand. I'd love to grab something while I still can but I cant think of anything they make that I want. maybe a Dummy load?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:48:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By oldcatawba:
Wow, only been in the hobby a short time but it seems that everyone owns MJF products. So many American businesses destroyed by the Chinese and their germ warfare.
View Quote

America is responsible for how it chose to react to it. Nobody twisted the arms of the tyrants of government to take tge course they did. It was a choice, & they chose poorly, just like the dumb dicks that voted for them.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:09:39 AM EDT
[#33]

View Quote
I think he made a similar post a while back about something, I think you're onto something there. Fella has a grudge against anything new it seems. Miserable propagation? What bands has he been on, propagation has been pretty damn good most every day.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:39:55 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

an antenna matchbox ( tuner ) is built into every vacuum tube transmitter and amp.

Stand alone antenna tuners are very useful, resonant antennas are so overrated by people that simply do not understand  what is actually happening.

Even a so called resonant antenna is only resonant on one very particular frequency, for the rest of the band it is not resonant.

even after a long coax run with a very non-resonant antenna and an antenna tuner and you perhaps lose half the power from the transmitter, it equates to only 1/2 an S point down. That 3 db loss is essentially meaningless and most systems will lose no where near 3db. So instead of the recieving station giving you a 5-7 you will get a 5-6.5. really.

the loss of power in the tuner and non resonant antenna is the least loss of power in the entire station / propagation system that makes radio work.

you are much better off putting your effort into reducing your local man made noise level than being concerned about losses in a non-resonant antenna and tuner but if you really want to reduce losses and use a multiband non-resonant antenna and tuner, then use a real balanced line tuner and open line with a doublet antenna and get single digit  % losses the way God intended.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:52:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Friction between builders and buyers makes the site more interesting.  I remember a GD thread where some guy was beating his chest about his best rifle money can buy and anything less was trash.  A couple of builders showed up and gave him an accuracy challenge  with a build on a poverty pony blem lower. Hilarity ensued and the chest beating stopped when he realized he would be up against a match barrel and precision trigger on the poverty lower with precision ammo hand crafted from the best components tuned to the rig.  I would never say they way I play the game is the only way to play.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:39:40 AM EDT
[#36]
There is a reason it got the name Mighty Fine Junk. After seeing how bad the soldering was on stuff that didn't work right out of the box I swore to never spend the first dime with them. Swore I'd never work on any thing MFJ again. Good riddance.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:34:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By ManiacRat:
I think he made a similar post a while back about something, I think you're onto something there. Fella has a grudge against anything new it seems. Miserable propagation? What bands has he been on, propagation has been pretty damn good most every day.
View Quote
His account is only 2 days old, however if you Google his username/callsign, you might find a Youtube channel that was the subject of a thread here several months ago.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:26:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
Im new to HF myself but well familiar with the brand. I'd love to grab something while I still can but I cant think of anything they make that I want. maybe a Dummy load?
View Quote

I do have one of there so called 1500 watt dummy loads and it is not a bad product.  Yeah you could probably dump 1500 watts into it but only for a few seconds. I have dumped 1000 into it for under 10 seconds and it gets pretty hot. Hot enough to smell it. But this is pretty much to be expected for an air dummy that is not very large.  You can dump 100 into it for quite a long time. Overall I am satisfied with it. I did take it apart to look at the solder job on the connections.  All was well. No extra nuts or bolts and no cold joints. I mean after all, how can you mess up a dummy load. Everyone should own a dummy load. They are an invaluable piece of test equipment when you need one.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:08:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
His account is only 2 days old, however if you Google his username/callsign, you might find a Youtube channel that was the subject of a thread here several months ago.
View Quote

I remember that discussion now.  The anger makes more sense now.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:04:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jambalaya] [#40]
Originally Posted By K0UA:

I do have one of there so called 1500 watt dummy loads and it is not a bad product.  Yeah you could probably dump 1500 watts into it but only for a few seconds. I have dumped 1000 into it for under 10 seconds and it gets pretty hot. Hot enough to smell it. But this is pretty much to be expected for an air dummy that is not very large.  You can dump 100 into it for quite a long time. Overall I am satisfied with it. I did take it apart to look at the solder job on the connections.  All was well. No extra nuts or bolts and no cold joints. I mean after all, how can you mess up a dummy load. Everyone should own a dummy load. They are an invaluable piece of test equipment when you need one.
View Quote

I actually just ordered one of their 1500W dry dummy loads a few days ago.  It's still in transit now.

It is rated for 1500W for 10 seconds.  So just long enough to check something.

It is rated to handle 100W for 10 minutes.  So it's better suited for typical transceiver power levels, but has the ability to work with 1.5kW if needed in a pinch.  

I had built one of the quart size paint can dummy loads that use mineral oil coolant from a thread here.  I'm sure it could be found in the archives.  That was a fun project.  Several other members here built them at the time.  I've used it many times with my 100W radio, but now that I am working on an amp, I needed something that would handle legal limit power.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:55:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:
I hope someone buys Ameritron and keeps making the amps.  

I might want to buy an amp soon, and the alternatives are all out of my price range.
View Quote

This is a big loss. I hope DXE or another company steps up and saves some of MFJ's brands. Ameritron builds affordable amps that work well. DXE is a tiny part of a much bigger company, Summit Racing Equipment. Thats the only reason I used them as an example of someone that could afford to buy them.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:40:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mcooper] [#42]
Is an al811 an ok amp?  Tempted to pick one up before they close.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:14:29 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote
oh shit
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:17:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By KB7DX:

ETA -- I wonder if DX Engineering will pick up some of MFJ's brands like Ameritron?
View Quote
This is the real question. I wonder if there is enough CB/11m sales across those brands remaining to make them viable?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:43:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By mcooper:
View Quote

I suggest an AL-80B over the 811 - it's a much better amp.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:55:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#46]
Originally Posted By mcooper:
View Quote
It's what I've got. Has been fine for me. It gets kinda toasty in the shack with the tubes. But it works well.

I plan to save up and buy a solid state eventually. But I got this thing for $300 and it has served me well.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:03:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: k8byp] [#47]
Awful lot of childish Trolls here off topic and slinging personal attacks.

All in violation of Forum rules

No intelligent comments?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:18:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Awful lot of childish Trolls here off topic and slinging personal attacks.

All in violation of Forum rules

No intelligent comments?
View Quote

Maybe this forum isn't for you.

We have a good group here,  new hams, and old experienced hams, helping each other out

Propagation is really excellent these days.  I see new hams building things, learning CW, going out and activating POTA, learning, and having fun.

Life is good

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#49]

No intelligent comments?
View Quote
None from me. I just enjoy der blinkenlamps
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:05:17 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top