Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2024 9:13:44 PM EDT
What are your thoughts? I have both an unlocked HAM radio (has FRS, MURS) and a pocket sized shortwave receiver. My GHB is small and I'm trying to keep it under 12
pounds so carrying both really isn't an option. I generally don't carry it unless I'm going fairly far from my house. I highly doubt I'd ever use it, but if I did I'm thinking communication and/or intel
would be extremely important.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#1]
How about an unlocked dc to daylight qrp rig?  Does both.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dopple:
View Quote

Ditto. A large chunk of the ham frequencies ARE shortwave.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:29:03 PM EDT
[#3]
The real question is what benefit you expect to get from either one?

Have you ever tried to listen to shortwave? Curious what you think you're going to be able to hear.

For almost anyone, a good AM broadcast receiver would be substantially more useful.

If you have experience with amateur radio and a callsign then you know what you can do with the amateur handheld. If you don't have experience and a callsign, it's not going to be much help. As far as FRS/MURS, who do you expect to be talking to? If there is GMRS repeater coverage, have you tried it and established a rapport with others on that resource?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:39:06 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

Huh? Speak to me as if I was a child.
Originally Posted By Gamma762:

Have you ever tried to listen to shortwave? Curious what you think you're going to be able to hear.

For almost anyone, a good AM broadcast receiver would be substantially more useful.

If you have experience with amateur radio and a callsign then you know what you can do with the amateur handheld. If you don't have experience and a callsign, it's not going to be much help. As far as FRS/MURS, who do you expect to be talking to? If there is GMRS repeater coverage, have you tried it and established a rapport with others on that resource?
View Quote

Yes, I am licensed. When I was more active and in the Texas Valley, there were many repeaters and people to listen to. Since moving to the south of Houston, there seems to be little going on here.
I have no experience with GMRS.

I agree with an AM receiver...never really played with shortwave.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:47:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know the OP's situation, but I would like to add emphasis to some very truthful words below:

View Quote

At the risk of being Captain Obvious, I'd also like to add that you get the call sign from the FCC as a result of demonstrating a bare minimum of understanding.  This is not enough.  You need proficiency, which is only available through practice and continuous improvement.

One more thing for those who think that just possessing a transceiver is going to be a magic bullet (not saying that's OP's case):  When things go off-kilter (and they do somewhat routinely), the two-way radio will do little for you if the people on the other end don't know who you are and don't trust you.  Get involved with a local amateur radio group (or several!).  It's exactly the kind of network you'll want to have and is a tremendous source of free proficiency training.  And immensely enjoyable too.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:58:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I’m not sure how the lower bands would be relevant to a get home bag.

I carry modded HT that’ll get me 2m/70cm and GMRS in my bag and have a modded 50w mobile radio in my work van.

My home station has instructions for the rest of the family. Call channels are setup for repeaters and simplex in case the repeaters are out.

I work 50ish miles away, so I’ll rely on repeaters for the first part of my journey.  My antennas are pretty high though so 30ish mile simplex is possible with the mobile
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:57:28 PM EDT
[#7]
GHB?  Out of your two choices I would pack a small AA powered multiband AM/FM/SSB receiver.

My choice?  A simple AA powered AM/ FM receiver with WX.  If one is forced to go it on foot, with just a light weight go bag, then there is no point in trying to make an unknown contact.  Listening to local radio stations if they are on the air and keeping an eye on cell phone alerts would make more sense.

IF* you have a communications plan in place with other specific individuals in a specific area then yes, a dual band HT would be a good plan.

I don't pack a transceiver if any of my go bags, but I do have a mobile radio in my work car, and always have a handheld to, and from work.

With that said, any radio can be a "ham" radio.  VHF/ UHF/ HF/ AM/ FM/ SSB...
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:07:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Ham radio is "shortwave"  = HF
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:24:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cpt_Kirks] [#9]
Originally Posted By Colt653:

Ham radio is "shortwave"  = HF
View Quote

Plus VHF UHF etc.

My son and I work on opposite sides of the city, and we're working to get comms without a repeater.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Elecraft KX3 or Icom 705 with AA batteries or light battery pack of some sort for HF. Good quality HT that has been TX modded. Extra batteries.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:53:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By thederrick106:
GHB?  Out of your two choices I would pack a small AA powered multiband AM/FM/SSB receiver.

My choice?  A simple AA powered AM/ FM receiver with WX.  If one is forced to go it on foot, with just a light weight go bag, then there is no point in trying to make an unknown contact.  Listening to local radio stations if they are on the air and keeping an eye on cell phone alerts would make more sense.

IF* you have a communications plan in place with other specific individuals in a specific area then yes, a dual band HT would be a good plan.

I don't pack a transceiver if any of my go bags, but I do have a mobile radio in my work car, and always have a handheld to, and from work.

With that said, any radio can be a "ham" radio.  VHF/ UHF/ HF/ AM/ FM/ SSB...
View Quote

I do not have anyone in my area that I talk to. Your suggestion is the way I was leaning. I do have two small AA receivers. AM travels an impressive way down
here, too. Unlike my HT, AA batteries are easily sourced and light weight.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Flushdraw:

Huh? Speak to me as if I was a child.

Yes, I am licensed. When I was more active and in the Texas Valley, there were many repeaters and people to listen to. Since moving to the south of Houston, there seems to be little going on here.
I have no experience with GMRS.

I agree with an AM receiver...never really played with shortwave.
View Quote
6 watt hf rig, also does 6m, 2m, 70cm
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:33:00 PM EDT
[#13]

I do not have anyone in my area that I talk to. Your suggestion is the way I was leaning. I do have two small AA receivers. AM travels an impressive way down
here, too. Unlike my HT, AA batteries are easily sourced and light weight.
View Quote
It's not the mode (am, fm, ssb, cw) it's the frequency.  Get AA battery cases for your radios.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:12:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I can listen to the police on 2m very easily in my area. When things look rough weather wise, or there is another type of situation which requires vigilance, I take that with me. It has paid off a time or two.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:22:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By killingmachine123:
I can listen to the police on 2m very easily in my area. When things look rough weather wise, or there is another type of situation which requires vigilance, I take that with me. It has paid off a time or two.
View Quote
We're going digital around here. Some counties still analog. Mix of vhf and uhf.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:39:38 PM EDT
[#16]
We're going digital around here. Some counties still analog. Mix of vhf and uhf.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By killingmachine123:

Still analog VHF in my AO.  If everything goes according to plan a transition to P25 conventional will take place in the next 5 years or so.  Fire & EMS will most likely remain analog for a good while longer.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:53:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Yes, I am licensed.
View Quote

No offense, but it might be a good time to circle back and do some refresher studying. As mentioned by another poster, having the hardware is useless without the knowledge to properly operate said equipment.

:-)
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:20:40 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

I agree but would note that C.Crane has a very nice, very small AM/FM/SW/WX radio that covers all the bases (CC Skywave SSB 2). It's a bit pricey at $200 but
works very well.

It's not as nice but the Tecsun PL-380 is only $50, it's kind of deaf on SW (really limited to broadcast reception) but decent for AM/FM.

Either makes a great choice for a GHB. (For the record, I have an older Skywave in mine, and no ham gear in that bag in spite of being an extra.)

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:49:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By seek2:

I agree but would note that C.Crane has a very nice, very small AM/FM/SW/WX radio that covers all the bases (CC Skywave SSB 2). It's a bit pricey at $200 but
works very well.

It's not as nice but the Tecsun PL-380 is only $50, it's kind of deaf on SW (really limited to broadcast reception) but decent for AM/FM.

Either makes a great choice for a GHB. (For the record, I have an older Skywave in mine, and no ham gear in that bag in spite of being an extra.)

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

works very well.

My favorite all band receiver is the County Comm GP5 aka Tecsun PL365.  Looks like there is now the GP7 or PL368 that has direct frequency enter via keypad.

Other than the GP5 the only all band receiver I have is an Icom IC-r7000 which I leave in my office at work.  Not portable

My HF rig (which I haven't used in years) is an Alinco...  dx-sr8t I think?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:30:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By NAM:

No offense, but it might be a good time to circle back and do some refresher studying. As mentioned by another poster, having the hardware is useless without the knowledge to properly operate said equipment.

:-)
View Quote

No offense taken. I haven't really played with my radios in about 6 years or so. I've forgotten most of the little that I knew.
The Texas Valley always had traffic and several clubs. When I moved to the south of Houston, the air was dead...like completely. I figured I just had the repeaters
programmed in wrong. I contacted a club to double-check, but it's just not active down here.

works very well.

View Quote

I think this is the model I have along with an old Grundig.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Introduction to UV-K5 HF Fullband (LSB/USB/AM/WFM) receive version 0.3

Maybe there's a firmware that will do all of what you want? I don't know I'm still learning...
May have to carry a couple of antennas for better reception?
Top Top