Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2022 10:56:46 PM EDT
Hey everyone, I learned an expensive lesson this weekend. Was messing with the kayak not paying attention and a wave flipped me over. Lost my two nice fishing rods. It’s been a few years since I bought the reel and the rod was given to me. I’m in the market for something but I’m very novice to this.

I enjoyed the baitcaster that I lost in the lake but I had only used it a few times, still learning. I enjoy the spinning reel since I’ve used it my entire life. I don’t know what I’m fishing for, I just go out and fish. That being said, bass fishing is kind of what I’m pretending to do. I’m hoping to spend under $150, I don’t mind bumping it up another $20 if the combo is nicer. $200 being my absolute max.

What would you suggest? I don’t mind piecing rod and reel or buying a combo.

One of my friends said to get this: Lew's Mach Smash SLP RH Baitcast Combo

Another friend said get a daiwa. Please help me get the most for my money. Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 11:12:31 PM EDT
[#1]
This in 7ft mh
Attachment Attached File

This in whichever hand you retrieve with and ratio you like.
Attachment Attached File

I run some higher end 13 fishing reals and swear by them and favorite rods have been a great pair to those reels. Here’s a set up of what I’m using  Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 11:53:09 PM EDT
[#2]
OP, I was actually thinking about starting a thread about this. A few months ago I purchased this Cadence Essence Spinning Rod

I bought the light weight, but they make others. I'd heard so many good things about the quality of these rods, that I bought one on sale for $38. This rod seems equivalent to a $160 St Croix. I absolutely love this thing and plan to purchase others. I was so impressed by the fantastic quality for the price, I purchased their $20 spinning real....Cadence Ideal Spinning Reel. Granted, I've only used the real for about 6 weeks, but it's as smooth as the Diawa Regal or a Presidente.

Initially, I had some questions about rod choice. Their customer service emailed me back same day with answers and links.

Link Posted: 7/18/2022 12:06:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got a couple of Toadfish spinning setups that are easily becoming my favorite.

Elite Carbon combo - 2500 reel on a 7'4" ML XFast and a regular 2500 reel on a 7'2" Medium XFast
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 3:01:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 8:10:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for all the suggestions. I’m going to try and get the rods back from the lake. I also ended up getting a Daiwa XT and Daiwa 150. I was gable to get it under $200 and a lot of great reviews. I’ll keep y’all posted.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 9:49:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By RandyLahey01:
Hey everyone, I learned an expensive lesson this weekend. Was messing with the kayak not paying attention and a wave flipped me over. Lost my two nice fishing rods. It’s been a few years since I bought the reel and the rod was given to me. I’m in the market for something but I’m very novice to this.

I enjoyed the baitcaster that I lost in the lake but I had only used it a few times, still learning. I enjoy the spinning reel since I’ve used it my entire life. I don’t know what I’m fishing for, I just go out and fish. That being said, bass fishing is kind of what I’m pretending to do. I’m hoping to spend under $150, I don’t mind bumping it up another $20 if the combo is nicer. $200 being my absolute max.

What would you suggest? I don’t mind piecing rod and reel or buying a combo.

One of my friends said to get this: Lew's Mach Smash SLP RH Baitcast Combo

Another friend said get a daiwa. Please help me get the most for my money. Thank you.
View Quote

Shimano
Daiwa
In that order. It’s been awhile since I cast a Lew’s, but it was junk.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 9:57:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, that’s what I’ve heard talking to some good fishermen. They said shimano or Daiwa, with the edge going to Daiwa.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:05:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I am partial to Shimano and Diawa.  Even the lower end Shimano reels seem to hold up well.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:57:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RJT1:
I am partial to Shimano and Diawa.  Even the lower end Shimano reels seem to hold up well.
View Quote

This is my experience as well.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 2:47:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RandyLahey01:
Thank you for all the suggestions. I’m going to try and get the rods back from the lake. I also ended up getting a Daiwa XT and Daiwa 150. I was gable to get it under $200 and a lot of great reviews. I’ll keep y’all posted.
View Quote

How deep are they?  Im 3/5 on my recovery record in water 15'+

Seriously, a 3/4 oz lipless with upsized hooks is the way to go.  Or a big 1oz spoon with a big treble.
Top Top