Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2023 11:18:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Birddog1911]
This is an issue that we've been dealing with for over a year now, with the morons at Camping World. I'll try to sum things up as concisely as possible. It's a 2008 Itasca Latitude 39W. New chassis battery, as well as 2 new 12v house batteries. Solar battery charger installed.

June 2022, no problems with electrical issue at all, demonstrated by 2 camping trips. RV goes in for unrelated warranty work. Go to pick up, and the chassis battery is dead. Don't think much about it. Hook it to shore power at my house.
July, notice that something is draining the house batteries, as well as the chassis battery. RV goes back to CW to have it fixed. Sorry, but I don't recall what they "did". Take it home. Same problem, again.
Take it back around Aug of last year, again. Stays there for 4 damned months. They say they fixed it; again, I'm sorry, but I don't have my records in front of me to say what they did.
Feb, this year. Same damned issue. Take it back to them. They replace all 3 batteries, again. They removed some sort of aftermarket component that they said was the problem. Take it back home.

Kept off of shore power to test. This time, it took 3 days for the chassis battery to be fully discharged. I know VERY little about electrical systems, but here is what I do know:

* 3 new batteries. The problem drains the power from the house batteries, as well as the chassis battery; noticed in as little as 8 hours.
* Factory battery disconnect will alleviate the issue; but I don't think I can start the generator with that disconnected.
* Battery will be still be drained when connected to shore power. Don't know how long it will take. Last time noticed was around 1 week.

Anyone have an idea of what could be going on? This is driving me crazy, and is seriously screwing with our enjoying a rather expensive item.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 11:53:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Andr0id] [#1]
you're going to have to learn a bit about electricity or take it to another place.

First, you're going to need to put an amp meter on the battery leads. You can get a clamp multi-meter or something like this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BGWY1ZDN?tag=arfcom00-20

Once that's hooked up, run the rig on house power. You should see some reasonable draw on the meter.  That's the 0.0A at the bottom center on the Amazon example display.
Now shut down everything that runs on DC power. Your meter should now read ZERO, but it won't. So start pulling fuses, and hunting around for anything that is on that shouldn't be.
Could be any stupid little thing, even a stuck vent fan. Hunt and disconnect things until the meter goes to zero. The last thing you disconnected was it.

Originally Posted By Birddog1911:

* Battery will be still be drained when connected to shore power. Don't know how long it will take. Last time noticed was around 1 week.

View Quote

This doesn't make sense to me... The converter should be charging the batteries any time you're on shore power.  I did have a shitty converter that couldn't run the house and charge the batteries, but I replaced it and have never had trouble since.

This is what I put in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GASX9O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 12:15:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Andr0id:

This doesn't make sense to me... The converter should be charging the batteries any time you're on shore power.  I did have a shitty converter that couldn't run the house and charge the batteries, but I replaced it and have never had trouble since.

This is what I put in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GASX9O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
View Quote

That is what had me wondering, and thought. That looks a great deal like the converter I already have. I'll see if the wife can get me a pic.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 12:44:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Op,,,The inverter may very well be your problem. In our coach the main "panel" for electrical distribution has a "split" function meaning that the "panel" has half of the breakers fed by the inverter AFTER the inverter is "hot". Check and make sure that ALL the breakers are on in your main panel. IF they are my money say a mother board is toast in the inverter even though your coach is plugged into shore power.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 1:03:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Andr0id] [#4]
Originally Posted By ACEB36TC:
Op,,,The inverter may very well be your problem. In our coach the main "panel" for electrical distribution has a "split" function meaning that the "panel" has half of the breakers fed by the inverter AFTER the inverter is "hot". Check and make sure that ALL the breakers are on in your main panel. IF they are my money say a mother board is toast in the inverter even though your coach is plugged into shore power.
View Quote

And just to clarify because OP said he didn't know much about electrical systems...

Converter makes 12V DC out of 120V AC when plugged into shore power.
Inverter makes 120V AC out of 12V DC when running on batteries.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 1:10:13 PM EDT
[#5]

And just to clarify because OP said he didn't know much about electrical systems...

Converter makes 12V DC out of 120V AC when plugged into shore power.
Inverter makes 120V AC out of 12V DC when running on batteries.
View Quote

I thought that might be the case, but thanks for making it clear. Now if I could just get to the bottom of this.
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 1:15:44 PM EDT
[#6]
@Andr0id here is a pic of the converter we have.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/26/2023 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Birddog1911:
@Andr0id here is a pic of the converter we have.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/180161/Converter_jpg-2898452.JPG
View Quote

Yours is 70A vs mine which is 60A, so it should be good if it is working correctly.

If you plug into shore power and disconnect your batteries does all your DC stuff work?
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 1:50:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Yours is 70A vs mine which is 60A, so it should be good if it is working correctly.

If you plug into shore power and disconnect your batteries does all your DC stuff work?
View Quote

Haven't tried that yet, but I shall. That would indicate that the inverter is working properly, is that right?
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 7:19:28 PM EDT
[#9]
First thing I would look at if it is still draining on shore power is the power converter.

Link Posted: 8/1/2023 7:57:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Goodn:
First thing I would look at if it is still draining on shore power is the power converter.

View Quote

Appreciate that, I'll see what I can figure out.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 11:52:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Any luck figuring anything out?
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 8:06:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I just put a battery shut off switch on the neg battery terminals. That way the batteries can't drain being disconnected.

Can't start a old diesel truck with weak batteries in the winter. Truck is for plowing only and may sit for weeks without running. Pop the hood flip the switches and fire her up. No more charging and dragging cords/chargers out etc.
Top Top