BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2024 3:56:24 PM EDT
Anyone jump down this rabbit hole yet?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:23:17 PM EDT
[#1]
As a full-on openHPSDR fanboy, that shit is going to ruin you for anything else

HL2 is a great value. It's only downside is the 12 bit receiver ADC. Assuming you are going to be suitably enthralled with it, it will have you looking for a used Apache Labs rig with a 16 bit ADC in short order.

You want to run the Thetis software with it and get it set up to use the PureSignal linearization capability. Thetis also has the equivalent of an entire rack worth of transmit audio processing built in, and the best noise reduction in ham radio.

Expect a very steep learning curve. Join the Apache Labs forum as well as the HL2 group.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:32:46 PM EDT
[#2]
If I didn't already have a QRP-Labs QMX on order, I'd probably jump on one to try out.

Let us know how it works out for you!
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:41:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By aa777888-2:

HL2 is a great value. It's only downside is the 12 bit receiver ADC. Assuming you are going to be suitably enthralled with it, it will have you looking for a used Apache Labs rig with a 16 bit ADC in short order.

You want to run the Thetis software with it and get it set up to use the PureSignal linearization capability. Thetis also has the equivalent of an entire rack worth of transmit audio processing built in, and the best noise reduction in ham radio.

Expect a very steep learning curve. Join the Apache Labs forum as well as the HL2 group.
View Quote

What do I need for hardware for Pure Signal? just an RF sampler? Any reason not to get the one from VK Amps?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:45:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tyrex13] [#4]
I ordered the HL2 last week and it arrived today DHL express. My rev came with the hole for the heat sink screw and for an extra SMA. I’ll probably get the Plus board though.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:49:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slappomatt] [#5]
Had one. sold it before I got my general. Now I am looking to buy one again. hermes lite 2 is end game. makes all those big $$$ radios look like obsolete paperweights. I have been having a blast with my G90, but once I get a good amp and tuner I am dedicating that to portable and getting a HL2 for the shack.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:46:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
Had one. sold it before I got my general. Now I am looking to buy one again. hermes lite 2 is end game. makes all those big $$$ radios look like obsolete paperweights. I have been having a blast with my G90, but once I get a good amp and tuner I am dedicating that to portable and getting a HL2 for the shack.
View Quote

They’re in stock right now
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:51:45 AM EDT
[#7]
oh I know. I have put the whole setup in cart several times If I buy it I have no amp or tuner, so its just 5w. I am building a 600w LDMOS amp, and then I need a tuner, both I can use with my G90, and then next Ill get the Hermes. the amp will be a project, so Ill have time to budget for the tuner and SDR.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 7:05:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By tyrex13:

What do I need for hardware for Pure Signal? just an RF sampler? Any reason not to get the one from VK Amps?
View Quote

You will want to add the N2ADR I/O board to get the additional RF switching for PureSignal. There are simpler, cheaper ways to do it but for $50 IMHO just get the board.

The VK Amps sampler is excellent. However the -55dB coupling factor might be a bit much for QRP. If you are running 100W it'll be fine, and it is optimized for QRO.

You might surf the HL Google group and see what others are using for QRP op's if that is your plan.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 8:46:45 AM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

While I don't have a HL2, my main radio is an Apache Labs using Pure Signal and aa777888-2 is under stating everything he said.

going to ruin you for any other radio
Thetis
Pure signal linearization
noise reduction
he left out voice squelch
transmit profiles
very steep learning curve but well worth it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 8:48:50 AM EDT
[#10]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I have the VK Amps coupler and with a 1200 watt amp works perfectly
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 11:49:07 AM EDT
[#11]

You will want to add the N2ADR I/O board to get the additional RF switching for PureSignal. There are simpler, cheaper ways to do it but for $50 IMHO just get the board.

The VK Amps sampler is excellent. However the -55dB coupling factor might be a bit much for QRP. If you are running 100W it'll be fine, and it is optimized for QRO.

You might surf the HL Google group and see what others are using for QRP op's if that is your plan.
View Quote

Do I need the N2ADR I/O board or can I just solder the coax with SMA onto the plug? I was considering the Plus board.

I plan to tinker with it and if I put it on the air it will be when my Mercury iiis comes in at the end of the year.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:49:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Thetis run on a mac?

What would Hermes Lite 2 Plus run? $,$$,$$$,$$$$
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 2:42:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Redneck_in_Texas:
Thetis run on a mac?

View Quote

as far as I know only windows
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 4:48:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Thetis run on a mac?

View Quote

I'm $380 into the radio board, the filter board and the case including $50 DHL Express shipping. The Plus kit runs another $100 shipped.

I'm not clear if I should do the Plus board or the I/O board, gotta research that.

I don't think Thetis will run on MAC, but there are other SDR aps that will to use the HL2.

https://www.makerfabs.com/hermes-lite-2.html

https://www.hermeslite2plus.com/

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:32:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aa777888-2] [#15]

Do I need the N2ADR I/O board or can I just solder the coax with SMA onto the plug? I was considering the Plus board.
View All Quotes

You don't need the I/O board, but you want one If you take a look at the I/O board schematic you'll see that it includes a number of RF switches (relays) that provide both the RF switching as well as superior TX/RX isolation for PureSignal. This results in much better PureSignal performance. That said, yes, you can make it go with just the cable soldered on as you describe (and an appropriate coupler).

I plan to tinker with it and if I put it on the air it will be when my Mercury iiis comes in at the end of the year.
The Aussie coupler will be GTG at Mercury IIIs output power levels.

I can't recommend the "plus" board. Stick with fully virtualized audio, that's the true way to implement a black box SDR. And, if you are a CW operator, Thetis will happily attach to a key and/or paddle via a serial port. However you will have to provision an old school sidetone oscillator across the key/keyer/paddle for real-time sidetone.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 9:40:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Thetis run on a mac?
View Quote
As Mach has already posted, the answer is "No".

IMHO Thetis is the best and most capable openHPSDR client software available, which means you need a Windows machine. However, for those who are philosophically and/or religiously opposed to Windows, you can run piHPSDR under Linux or MacOS. The best version of piHPSDR is to be found here: https://github.com/DL1YCF/pihpsdr, courtesy Christoph van Wüllen.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 7:45:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Has anyone tried running Thetis under WINE, given that the host machine has a decent amount of horsepower to start with?
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:00:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By AnalogKid:
Has anyone tried running Thetis under WINE, given that the host machine has a decent amount of horsepower to start with?
View Quote
People have tried this with mixed results. It is possible to get it to work, apparently. Performance has been questionable.

IMHO get a cheap drive and boot Windows, or even buy another machine. Use the right tool for the job instead of trying to bang a square peg into a round hole.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 3:05:12 PM EDT
[#19]
People have tried this with mixed results. It is possible to get it to work, apparently. Performance has been questionable.

IMHO get a cheap drive and boot Windows, or even buy another machine. Use the right tool for the job instead of trying to bang a square peg into a round hole.
View All Quotes

I'll probably get a late-generation i7 in a Beelink and run Win11 with it.

Funny thing about square pegs and round holes:

One of the Win-native programs I'm running positively will not stay up for more than 3 days when run on 10 Pro, regardless of settings. And it's questionable on 7 Pro as well.

Run under the latest version of WINE that ships with Mint 21.3, uptime is measured in weeks - or until I reboot the host systems after patching.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 3:47:17 PM EDT
[#20]

I'll probably get a late-generation i7 in a Beelink and run Win11 with it.

Funny thing about square pegs and round holes:

One of the Win-native programs I'm running positively will not stay up for more than 3 days when run on 10 Pro, regardless of settings. And it's questionable on 7 Pro as well.

Run under the latest version of WINE that ships with Mint 21.3, uptime is measured in weeks - or until I reboot the host systems after patching.
View Quote
That is strange. What software is it that you are running?

I've not had major problems. I used to run a PRTG installation 24/7/365 under Win10Pro with total stability. Now I'm running CheckMk and HomeAssistant in two separate Hyper-V machines (Linux under Win10Pro--the opposite of you ) again with total stability.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 4:35:32 PM EDT
[#21]
That is strange. What software is it that you are running?

I've not had major problems. I used to run a PRTG installation 24/7/365 under Win10Pro with total stability. Now I'm running CheckMk and HomeAssistant in two separate Hyper-V machines (Linux under Win10Pro--the opposite of you ) again with total stability.
View Quote

GRLevel3, v2.93. And It's been this way for several years - across every release and patch of v2 they made.

I've tried it natively (Win10 on the hardware) and via hypervisor (Win10 as a guest; two different i7 class platforms with more than adequate RAM) and the results are the same. Without getting ollydbug or similar going, it looks to be a WinSocket problem. I don't know if other users leave it running like I do - maybe their installations never hit whatever threshold causes the comm/update lockup.When the condition happens, killing the program (and sometimes rebooting the system in addition) is the only way to fix it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#22]

GRLevel3, v2.93. And It's been this way for several years - across every release and patch of v2 they made.

I've tried it natively (Win10 on the hardware) and via hypervisor (Win10 as a guest; two different i7 class platforms with more than adequate RAM) and the results are the same. Without getting ollydbug or similar going, it looks to be a WinSocket problem. I don't know if other users leave it running like I do - maybe their installations never hit whatever threshold causes the comm/update lockup.When the condition happens, killing the program (and sometimes rebooting the system in addition) is the only way to fix it.
View Quote

That is interesting, I use to run it 24/7 posting to my server screenshots on every update but that was a while ago. I have not had any issues with it but I also do not leave it up that long. I may have to run a test on this window box I have here.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 1:13:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I have two of them. One in a small case & one in the 55mm case with the Plus board. I found that I don't use the Pico IO boards but I figured I'd get them for future possibilities. If anyone is considering a purchase I'll part with the case & one IO board & save you a few bucks.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 1:15:50 PM EDT
[#24]
As Mach has already posted, the answer is "No".

IMHO Thetis is the best and most capable openHPSDR client software available, which means you need a Windows machine. However, for those who are philosophically and/or religiously opposed to Windows, you can run piHPSDR under Linux or MacOS. The best version of piHPSDR is to be found here: https://github.com/DL1YCF/pihpsdr, courtesy Christoph van W llen.
View Quote
You can run piHPSDR on the $49 Inovato Quadra as well. https://inovato.com/

Link Posted: 4/4/2024 1:51:02 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

That is what I was wanting to do.  Mac is first and foremost an audio visual machine.  Windows is a great operating system if you want to run spreadsheets and accounting and typical office stuff.  Audio Visual (SDR radios are both) Mac will always reign supreme.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 2:30:28 AM EDT
[#26]

They're in stock right now
View Quote
well they have one less in stock now.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:47:29 PM EDT
[#27]
showed up Friday. spent all last night with my Linux Elmer remoting in and getting everything setup. holy hell there is a lot to do to really get the HL2 set up well on linux (Mint). its one hell of a radio though. you can do almost everything from stupid wide ESSB to DSB to multi band simultaneous RX. I can work FT8 on 20 with one monitor and listen to guys chew the rag on 40 ESSB at the same time. full audio EQ and compression along with really good noise reduction. $360. I'm running it on internal 5w with a ATU-100. 60DBM.com 100w amp should be here tomorrow and then Ill get some usable power.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:19:29 AM EDT
[#28]
showed up Friday. spent all last night with my Linux Elmer remoting in and getting everything setup. holy hell there is a lot to do to really get the HL2 set up well on linux (Mint).
View All Quotes
showed up Friday. spent all last night with my Linux Elmer remoting in and getting everything setup. holy hell there is a lot to do to really get the HL2 set up well on linux (Mint).
Are you setting up piHPSDR from Christoph's repository: https://github.com/dl1ycf/pihpsdr ? That's the best and most capable version of piHPSDR available. He's doing some great work on it.

its one hell of a radio though.
Except the HL2 by itself is not a radio It's only the "RF unit" and by itself it is quite dumb. At the most basic level it's nothing more than the ADC, DAC and digital mix to/from the 1st (digital) IF. This is not to say that Steve didn't do a fabulous job designing it, but all honor for how great (or not great) the "radio" is belongs to the software, which is where 90% of the functional radio exists.

If you think piHPSDR is the heat wait until you finally break down and try Thetis on Windows. Thetis is the Tier 1 choice.

Did you order or build an RF coupler for PureSignal linearization?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:29:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: slappomatt] [#29]
Are you setting up piHPSDR from Christoph's repository: https://github.com/dl1ycf/pihpsdr ? That's the best and most capable version of piHPSDR available. He's doing some great work on it.

Except the HL2 by itself is not a radio It's only the "RF unit" and by itself it is quite dumb. At the most basic level it's nothing more than the ADC, DAC and digital mix to/from the 1st (digital) IF. This is not to say that Steve didn't do a fabulous job designing it, but all honor for how great (or not great) the "radio" is belongs to the software, which is where 90% of the functional radio exists.

If you think piHPSDR is the heat wait until you finally break down and try Thetis on Windows. Thetis is the Tier 1 choice.

Did you order or build an RF coupler for PureSignal linearization?
View Quote
yes,
I used thetis (and still have it installed on my main windows PC) on my first Hl2, its nice but a bit cluttered. The audio side of things is just SO much better in linux than windows. its insane what you can do with audio. Windows handling of audio is just archaic.
I have not gone down the pure signal rabbit hole yet. maybe some day. Pretty happy with the current setup at the moment. I am having some cinnamon crashing issues with mint that I need to sort out. but the RF hardware side of things is working excellent.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:59:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By slappomatt: I used thetis (and still have it installed on my main windows PC) on my first Hl2, its nice but a bit cluttered.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By slappomatt: I used thetis (and still have it installed on my main windows PC) on my first Hl2, its nice but a bit cluttered.
Oh yeah, the UI design of Thetis, carried over from its precursor PowerSDR, it just terrible. But functionally it is the bomb, especially for audio processing.

The audio side of things is just SO much better in linux than windows. its insane what you can do with audio. Windows handling of audio is just archaic.
That's funny, my feelings run exactly opposite! My audio setup is:

ASIO audio interface*  Voicemeeter Potato  Thetis and all other app's

It couldn't be simpler, especially now with the advent of the "cmASIO" direct ASIO interface in Thetis. Latency is nil using ASIO on all critical paths. Digi mode app's tend to connect to Voicemeeter with MME but Voicemeeter automagically makes the connection and the extra latency is not an issue for the digi stuff.

*Not really important, but for the record I'm using a Presonus Studio 192 Mobile audio interface.

What are you using on the Linux side for audio?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:45:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slappomatt] [#31]
Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD is my audio interface. then I'm using Carla and pipewire for the audio side of things. Carla is just insanely powerful. virtual audio cables and audio tool plugins. EQ compressor, extremely good noise reduction and anything else you want. all this on a $40 4th gen i7 dell.

I had voicemeter banana on my main PC with thetis, I was using it to try to get js8 working with a SDRplay when I got rid of my first HL2.

ETA I will admit I am having problems with cinnamon crashing for some random reason and its got me to the point I'm thinking about giving up and just getting a windows computer. which means buying a whole new PC for a decent chunk of change which I am not thrilled about. its in the garage 3' from my sim racing rig which is the fastest PC in the house. but I dont want to load a bunch of Radio stuff on the sim rig so thats not happening.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:14:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Why the hell did I click on this thread!
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:21:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By 3one5:
Why the hell did I click on this thread!
View Quote

Because you need an HL2
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:34:54 PM EDT
[#34]

Because you need an HL2
View Quote

Yeah, funny thing is that I didn't even know that until I clicked on this thread.

I need to do some more research.  I'm primarily interested in putting together a setup that I can use remotely with NVIS.  What's out there for portable amps and antenna tuners?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:32:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By 3one5:I'm primarily interested in putting together a setup that I can use remotely with NVIS.
View Quote
By "remotely", do mean in the wilderness, or do you mean remote control over the internet?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:03:33 PM EDT
[#36]
The HL2 run under Thetis is my go to rig for about 2+ years now. NR2 is magic!
Mine feeds an RM Italy HLA305 (?) and gives me about 150-175w out with 4-5w feeding it. Remoted to the livingroom laptop.
Do yourself a favor, get a USB mic and skip all the BS and problems. RF etc.  Pretty much any one is fine.
Sell your rack gear if you have any.
I run a $20 M-audio from the flea bay, I get compliments on my sound all the time.
Lots of vids out there on how to setup audio. Definite learning curve, but there are plenty hams out there willing to elmer.

I know someone running Thetis on an Pi5.
He has it overclocked, and it's a ripper!
Rich, kc two zur.
Search his full name, then utoob it.
Bunch of good radio stuff, and he has the Apache labs G2 also.
I was sort of the push to get him into SDR's. :D

Poor 590SG, sits in the faraday box waiting for the end since my SDR experience.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:56:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By ctrmass:
View All Quotes
So is voice squelch!

I know someone running Thetis on an Pi5.
He installed Windows on a Pi? You can do it but performance is terrible. Are you sure he's not running piHPSDR instead of Thetis?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:42:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ctrmass] [#38]
No, I'm told you can, but it can get laggy.
He has videos of it (I think) on u-toob. It's running better than my every day laptop. (I5, 10th gen 12mb ram) but I have a shit ton of other things in the background.
Now, I need a remotable amp and tuner.

Maybe it is PiHPSDR, now that you mention it....
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:28:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slappomatt] [#39]
No, I'm told you can, but it can get laggy.
He has videos of it (I think) on u-toob. It's running better than my every day laptop. (I5, 10th gen 12mb ram) but I have a shit ton of other things in the background.
Now, I need a remotable amp and tuner.

Maybe it is PiHPSDR, now that you mention it....

View Quote

thats what I am running mine with, on linux mint with a 4th gen i7
Top Top