Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2024 9:41:17 PM EDT
I found your sign.
Amazon Product
  • DURABLE ALUMINUM: 'Radio Frequency' signs are made from heavy-duty 40 mil thick aluminum. Unlike steel signs, our aluminum signs do not rust. Signs easily last up to 7 years outside.

Link Posted: 6/26/2024 11:36:05 PM EDT
[#1]

This made me laugh!  I have actually done the RF exposure study on my station.  I'm good to go unless I run 10&12 meters @ legal limit on the doublet, then one area in the front living room is to close to the antenna.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 12:18:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm probably okay on my vertical antenna.  It's about 40-50 feet from the house.  The EFHW is much closer.

But the signs look cool and might deter kids with concerned parents from pissing around.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 5:20:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This made me laugh!  I have actually done the RF exposure study on my station.  I'm good to go unless I run 10&12 meters @ legal limit on the doublet, then one area in the front living room is to close to the antenna.
View Quote

I did one when I lived in the condom but now with the antennas on the roof above my shack I am afraid to do it. Especially when elevated at the moon running a kilowatt on 2m . Good thing the antennas are always facing away from the house on the moon rise, apogee. I can almost see the western horizon but the antenna would not be elevated. Either way they are coming off the roof soon and an on short tower section. Think I am going to grab one or 2 of those signs for the shack.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 8:35:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I did one when I lived in the condom but now with the antennas on the roof above my shack I am afraid to do it. Especially when elevated at the moon running a kilowatt on 2m . Good thing the antennas are always facing away from the house on the moon rise, apogee. I can almost see the western horizon but the antenna would not be elevated. Either way they are coming off the roof soon and an on short tower section. Think I am going to grab one or 2 of those signs for the shack.
View Quote

If I lived in a condom, my last worry would be the RF from my station.

In all seriousness, that sounds like a pretty cool setup!
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#5]
@ lorazepam I have one of these signs coming, it will be a good addition to the office.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 1:03:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
@ lorazepam I have one of these signs coming, it will be a good addition to the office.
View Quote

I kid you, but will say again, you have the cleanest signal I have heard from anyone.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 10:12:56 AM EDT
[#7]
[b]Originally Posted By

If I lived in a condom, my last worry would be the RF from my station.

In all seriousness, that sounds like a pretty cool setup!
View Quote

Lol thats what I get for typing on a phone.

ETA: Looked at this on Amazon and the wife bought one for me. Said ai need one for all my amp projects.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 10:24:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I kid you, but will say again, you have the cleanest signal I have heard from anyone.
View Quote

Thank you!  

I under drive everything, all of my amps have at least 20% headroom above where you'll hear me on them.  One amp has legal limit+ worth of headroom, it will make 3.2KW into a dummy load, I run it at 1.5KW.  

Also the audio chain being properly driven helps, I use the modulation monitor on my UR6QW equalizer to keep me from speaking to loudly into the mic.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 10:25:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Lol thats what I get for typing on a phone.

ETA: Looked at this on Amazon and the wife bought one for me. Said ai need one for all my amp projects.
View Quote

I have a lot of learning to do before I attempt a scratch built amp.  I always enjoy reading about the ones you build.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 5:55:44 PM EDT
[#10]

I'll just leave this here
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I didn't think you would buy one.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 7:26:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
But the signs look cool and might deter kids with concerned parents from pissing around.
View Quote

Years ago shortly after I got licensed I had a kid stealing the 550 cord for the end of an end fed I was using and believe it or not when I mentioned it somewhere I was the mysterious recipient of a sign from former Camp Tarawa, HI.

Danger
Former military training area
UXO may be present.
If found please mark location and notify the authorities.

I put it in my yard with a handful of brass (necks were cracked from too many reloads)

A couple weeks later some guy in a blue suit with a gun came by asking me about it. "Do I have to call the bomb squad?" he asked.

I said, "Let's take a walk." and showed him the sign and pointed out the brass was shot out.

"Please go to the person that called you and tell her to keep her kid away from my antenna. This is a federally licensed station and what he is doing is ALSO a federal offense."

He smirked. "I got this." Then he got in his car and drove down the street and I never heard anything else about it.

Damned if I know who sent me the sign.

Link Posted: 7/13/2024 5:41:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I didn't think you would buy one.
View Quote

How could I not buy one with as much as you guys have said about me running "10KW"
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 5:42:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Years ago shortly after I got licensed I had a kid stealing the 550 cord for the end of an end fed I was using and believe it or not when I mentioned it somewhere I was the mysterious recipient of a sign from former Camp Tarawa, HI.

Danger
Former military training area
UXO may be present.
If found please mark location and notify the authorities.

I put it in my yard with a handful of brass (necks were cracked from too many reloads)

A couple weeks later some guy in a blue suit with a gun came by asking me about it. "Do I have to call the bomb squad?" he asked.

I said, "Let's take a walk." and showed him the sign and pointed out the brass was shot out.

"Please go to the person that called you and tell her to keep her kid away from my antenna. This is a federally licensed station and what he is doing is ALSO a federal offense."

He smirked. "I got this." Then he got in his car and drove down the street and I never heard anything else about it.

Damned if I know who sent me the sign.

View Quote

We need a like button for your stories!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top