Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2024 7:43:28 AM EDT
Hello,

I have a trip to Seattle booked for the end of next month. We are looking to camp out for 5 days at different campsites, if possible, around Hoh Rainforest. I have no interest in visiting the city itself.
Anyone here have experience camping near by? I'm looking online to reserve spots, but they seem to be booked up or not yet released. We don't mind hiking to a remote spot. Also, I plan on shipping our camping gear to our first nights hotel. Good idea?
Where do you recommend I stay or go to? Please advise.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:10:18 AM EDT
[#1]
When we hiked in the Olympic National Park a few years ago, permits were required for campsites.  Their website should list what is available.  They were pretty strict about sticking to your planned itinerary, so plan accordingly.

We didn't go into the Rainforest, we were a little north of there by Hurricane Ridge.  It was an amazing trip.

Shipping gear can work, we just put our backpacking stuff in larger duffels and checked the bags.  Easy peasy.  Just had to buy some stove fuel once we got there.

It is an amazing park to visit.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 4:44:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By billpete:
When we hiked in the Olympic National Park a few years ago, permits were required for campsites.  Their website should list what is available.  They were pretty strict about sticking to your planned itinerary, so plan accordingly.

We didn't go into the Rainforest, we were a little north of there by Hurricane Ridge.  It was an amazing trip.

Shipping gear can work, we just put our backpacking stuff in larger duffels and checked the bags.  Easy peasy.  Just had to buy some stove fuel once we got there.

It is an amazing park to visit.
View Quote

Thanks. We are waiting for the online reservation portals to open so that we can book the multiple sites. I hope we land them. I want to visit the hurricane ridge and of course, fishing.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:55:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: billpete] [#3]
Originally Posted By GBOOT99:

Thanks. We are waiting for the online reservation portals to open so that we can book the multiple sites. I hope we land them. I want to visit the hurricane ridge and of course, fishing.
View Quote

The Hurricane Ridge Visitor Center burned down about 18 months(?) ago.  I think that you can still visit the area up there, but the building is gone.

Don't be afraid to contact the Rangers there via phone and get some help on an itinerary and such.  They were super helpful.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By billpete:

The Hurricane Ridge Visitor Center burned down about 18 months(?) ago.  I think that you can still visit the area up there, but the building is gone.

Don't be afraid to contact the Rangers there via phone and get some help on an itinerary and such.  They were super helpful.
View Quote

What? I did not know. Once I get there I'll have a better idea of where to visit. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:59:30 PM EDT
[#5]
They were in the middle of making the visitor center lodge more handicap accessible and managed to burn it down instead.

Still worth the drive up there and to hike to the end of the ridge. Salt creek recreation area is where we camp once a year in the northwest spots right above the large tide pool area that my wife and daughter love. If you want to do a little urban site seeing I enjoy Victoria, BC, you can take the ferry from Port angeles.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:31:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Good stuff. The campsites that we waited to become available were booked instantly by others. I have to look around in desperation as the trip is in two weeks.
Top Top