BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 7:39:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DaGoose:

I give it 6 months to maybe a year before most wildlife is extinct.

Same thing happened during the great depression.
View Quote
US population has almost tripled while natural environments for wild animals has declined. I doubt wild game lasts six months.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
US population has almost tripled while natural environments for wild animals has declined. I doubt wild game lasts six months.
View Quote

Yep.  Most people don’t understand that having hunting seasons and rules, enforcing poaching laws, and actual wildlife management is why we have good populations of game.  Well that plus affordable food in stores…. Throw all that out the window, everyone shoots every deer they see, and even if the situation resolves itself quickly we still won’t see game populations bounce back for decades.    

Link Posted: 6/30/2024 3:43:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lowdown3] [#3]
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 3:50:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
View Quote

Also, the skills to preserve game are almost non-existent now. I think a lot of venison would spoil before it was consumed and people would just hunt for more.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 8:17:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gamboolman] [#5]
Bought a lot of the packaged stuff when the kids was at home.
About 5 to 6 years ish...
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 12:45:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Terriblis] [#6]
Somewhere between 4.25 and 4.5 million calories in medium to long term food storage. A couple of months worth in short term and in the freezers.

I have not been keeping my inventory up to date and am replacing wet canned food with freeze dried and more dry goods whicharefewercaloriesforthesame space. Focusing on more vegetables and fruits.
No kids in the house so canned food is not getting used as the Mrs and I eat less and do a meat and fresh vegetable heavy diet.

Oils and fats are also an issue rotating but butter and oils can be frozen.

Plus around 350 bottles of alcohol. For medicinal purposes only.
There's bound to be some calories in there.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 8:53:55 AM EDT
[#7]
We are in the middle of a move and moving and prepping don’t mix well

Canned goods (ie glass jars) too many and a pain to move.

Buckets: too many but easier to move.

#10 freeze dried too many but easy and not heavy to move

Home rolled freeze dried in Mylar pouches stored in plastic totes. Tons and growing every day ( we freeze dry a few dozen eggs weekly at the minimum)

3 freezers and two fridges
(I think 17kwh battery home solar system)

It’s a lifestyle for us on the homestead
I’m doing the filming for my YouTube of the move and it’s crazy the amount of food we have. We are selling / replacing most things except food, preps, tools, and cloths.
Link Posted: 7/2/2024 9:47:58 AM EDT
[#8]
My actual pantry is small, so I have a rolling wire rack that became my pantry.  Top shelf is cereals, next shelf is crackers, mac and cheese, boxed mixes, etc. Next three shelves are canned foods, soup, chili, vegs, fruits, spaghetti sauce, tuna, beans, etc.  I think there is room for more than 300 cans.  The bottom shelf is pasta, drink mixes, bags of beans, coffee.  The overflow goes into my walk-in closet where I have around 60 lbs of sugar and around 100 pounds of rice as well as the overflow.  There are also eight cases of assorted commercial freeze-dried foods as well as home-made freeze-dried food.  My grandkids like shopping at Grammy's grocery store when they are having a short week.

In the garage, there are two small freezers, mostly meat, as well as the old double-door fridge-freezer that I hate so much, mostly meat, frozen dinners, veg, butter and olive oil.

In our "climate-controlled" storage unit, there are around 25+/- cases of commercial freeze-dried food, my grinder, and 800 lbs of wheat.

In addition to my husband and myself, I have one daughter, three grandchildren and their partners, and nine living great-grandchildren.  My grandmother grew up poor in the Ozarks and I remember her stories about not having enough food at times, a piece of cornbread for dinner.  I don't want my greats to go hungry.

Link Posted: 7/6/2024 3:46:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gettingstarted] [#9]
My G-F just moved in with me ( she is a Nurse )  so while  I would normally say my stash is halved...  

As she is a Nurse, she is looking at what I have stored and then looking at my health ( BP etc etc )  and going NO .   So there may be a big purge coming soon.  To be fair I do have a lot of store bought canned goods that have expired as my diet has changed over the years.   As I think on it I am cooking 10+ year old Uncle Ben's rice to be part of our dinner tonight .  

On top of that, we are combing two house holds into one .. that means we are both in need of "downsizing our stuff".   ( I have learned that is girl speak for my stuff ) .

EDIT:   I currently have over one years worth of  store bought  / canned  and purpose bought freeze dried canned / vacuum sealed food  etc  for two people  - menu may get boring when the frozen meats are gone ..
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 9:51:42 PM EDT
[#10]
We'd probably be okay for a few months if it came down to it, although I am consistently growing our supplies. The real concern is going to be all of the other people out there who aren't doing anything to prepare. There are a lot of people who food shop several times a week. If something happens and they can no longer do that, there's no telling how violent they could become towards those who did prepare if something bad goes down. I'm sure there will be a big push for everyone to share what they have, and then it will be forced. As the unprepared mob becomes hungrier and more desperate, things are going to get ugly with the quickness. To keep law and order, there will be government crackdowns the likes of which Americans have never seen. Hopefully, it will never come to that.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 5:41:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Maybe 6 months if everything goes right.

Off the top of my head:

50lbs rice
50lbs beans
50lbs of a mix of: flour/sugar/honey/peanut butter/etc.
2-3 boxes, #10 cans of freeze dried
6 cases MREs
50-100 cans of usual stuff (canned pasta, vegetables, beef stew, etc.)
Add in regular food on hand in freezer/pantry/fridge (portable generator can keep fridge going for while if need be)
100 gallons of water in long term storage

It feels like a healthy reserve to have in case of a natural disaster or breakdown in society.  In the least, it should save me a trip to the grocery store if people get panicky and want to shoot it out over the last can of beans.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 9:04:34 AM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

I don't think a lot of it will be extinct a lot will survive in very remote areas.

Near local population centers game is going to be hard to find.

Remote areas like the Rockies, Alaska, parts of the Ozarks, and parts of the Appalachians will still have game.

People are lazy and don't want to walk far or carry game up steep hills or mountains.

Fewer and fewer people know how to hunt or trap people will starve.

Fishing is easy but people aren't going to hike in to tough spots to fish.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By gettingstarted:
As she is a Nurse, she is looking at what I have stored and then looking at my health ( BP etc etc )  and going NO .
View Quote

DH has high BP also.  If your girlfriend is fussing due to the high salt content in the canned goods, a lot can be removed from foods like canned vegetables simply by draining the brine and then rinsing the veggies.  Then you use the veggies in a recipe and don't add any more salt to it.

For stuff like the Uncle Ben's or Zatarain's you can add plain rice to the box mix along with an appropriate amount of extra water (e.g. add 1 cup rice 2 cups water), cook as normal, and have a DIY lower sodium version and it's also cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 8:23:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I was moving into a house across the country, having sold all my prep food stuff, right as covid was locking the world down

went to sams, bought a few hundred pounds of rice and beans, sealed and stored in mylar. Then some camping food, #10 cans, and growing the pantry.

Fast forward to today and we have 2 deep freezers and 2 small freezers stacked, 2 fridges to cycle perishables, and a solid pantry. I could live for a week on condiments alone
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 7:23:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By markmars:

I don't think a lot of it will be extinct a lot will survive in very remote areas.

Remote areas like the Rockies, Alaska, parts of the Ozarks, and parts of the Appalachians will still have game.

People are lazy and don't want to walk far or carry game up steep hills or mountains.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I grew up in one of the remote areas you listed as did my family back to the late 1800s.

They had stories of not seeing any deer or other large animals during the Great Depression for years and if one was seen, it was shot immediately.

I don't think it will be people from the cities that will wipe out the deer.  

It will be the country folk that will kill them all as fast as they can to provide more food until they can convert their properties over to food production again which will take a year or two.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 10:27:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By d16man:
6 months+ of meat.  Lots of fishing nearby and hunting as well.
View Quote

Just make sure your guitar is not out of tuna !
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 5:37:58 AM EDT
[#17]
If I had to move. I'd probably start over lol.
Or hire out a 53ft trailer to freight it to my location
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 9:53:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cfcw] [#18]
Used to have a year's worth for my family but my kids are grown and long gone. My wife and I moved to a much smaller lake home with virtually no storage and had to reduce it to about three Months of mostly Mtn. House with some additional calorie supplementation from dried beans, rice, oatmeal and powdered milk.  I gave a lot of my LDS wheat to a close friend who preps for much longer term.

I rationalize that if a 90 day supply doesn't get me through, it's likely an extremely low probability catastrophic event that I'm not prepared to survive.  

I'm done with short-mid term foods, including MREs.  All my current items had an initial shelf life of ten years or more. I paid a lot of money for my FD stash but it's "buy once, cry once" (30 years or more) and no rotation is needed.

The powdered milk needs to be checked, we're probably getting close to 15 years of age but it has been kept at 70 and low humidity its' entire life.  Also have a case of canned bacon and canned cheese. Once those items goes bad I won't bother to replace them.  When I hit 70(still a ways to go), I'm likely going to start eating through my Mtn. House.
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Between freeze dried, dehydrated, and a few MREs for "overnight exercises" I'm about to the 90 day mark.  I'll add to it a bit at a time to get to 6 months.  I have a well with stinking foul swamp water and a generator plus about 20 gallons in Scepter water cans.  It rains enough in the wet season that I should rig up a cistern..
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 12:15:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By alacop:
6 months, then it's fishing my pond and hunting wild game on my property.
View Quote

Questioning the wisdom of this.

Get game as you go and use it to extend the preps you have.
Link Posted: 7/29/2024 9:35:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Got plenty of woke, liberal neighbors. Won’t go hungry.
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 1:18:41 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Yes and No.  During the summer, people likely wouldn't do the work to get way back into the mountains.  But when the snows come, a lot of the game animals head to lower elevations that are easier to access.
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 4:01:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:
I gave away a bunch of stored food to friends and family that were in a rough spot due to hurricanes and flooding.  You can question the wisdom of that, but they’re my folks, and needed it more than I did at the time.

I’m rebuilding my stocks, but if the power went out I’d probably be down to about a month or two of living well or maybe 3-4 months of “survival rations” for the family.  There’s probably another month or more worth of frozen stuff, if the electricity holds out.

Not great, not terrible.  

I know I’m not set for the end of civilization or whatever, but I can get by for a decent while and am accumulating more.  Meats, grains, veggies, fruits, some luxuries, from various places (mountain house, auguson, govsurp, etc)

How ‘bout y’all?
View Quote

you did the right thing helping your folks out in a tough situation—family comes first. rebuilding your stockpile takes time, but it sounds like you’ve got a solid plan and enough to get by for a while if needed. i’m steadily building mine up too, focusing on essentials and some comforts to make sure we’re covered.
Link Posted: 7/31/2024 4:16:23 PM EDT
[#24]
I really don't know anymore.  

75ish 5gal buckets stuffed with a variety.  

Similar number of #10 cans.

We butcher a couple cows a year and collect over 1 dozen eggs a day.  

100's of pounds of salt and sugar.

We were keeping spreadsheets, but my preps are in several locations.  I'll do a proper inventory when I can get it into the new homestead when it's done.  

I've been at this since 2006 when I got engaged.
Link Posted: 8/10/2024 12:18:11 PM EDT
[#25]
More than most, not as much as many. Moving away from frozen foods except for daily use. Canning like crazy right now and freeze drying. Putting up 200 pounds of taters in various form this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 11:07:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Lol.  At best a month.

Whole world won't fall apart. We'll just move to one of the coasts with family.

If whole world falls apart,  I'm in farmland.  Between hunting and bartering I'll get by until I'm up and running.  If not, I die.
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 11:28:14 AM EDT
[#27]
I’m in about the same shape as you OP but with ability to expand quickly should the need arise.  I will can the contents of mine and my friends/family fridge and freezer in short order if the electricity goes out.
Link Posted: 9/4/2024 1:28:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 161Infantry] [#28]
350lbs rice
150lbs beans
150lbs wheat
35lbs peas
40lbs oats
50lbs salt
50lbs Sugar
50 tins corned beef, 30 spam we rotate this in our regular diet.
Multiple cases mixed veg, tinned.
30 tuna
30 canned chicken
15 1lb hams tinned
2 garage freezers, beef, chicken, pork, 75lbs bacon,  pizzas, comfort items.
1x 55gl drum dogfoof
1x 55gl drum chick feed
1x30gl cat food
A full walk in pantry
20 chickens
6 goats
50 #10 cans freeze dried foods.

8k gl swimming pool aka cistern
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 1:09:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By NachoDip:

Questioning the wisdom of this.

Get game as you go and use it to extend the preps you have.
View Quote

If I have refrigeration, absolutely.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top