Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2023 11:25:42 AM EDT
Wife and I went car camping Friday night and for the second time found our new kliment inflatable ground pads want to squirm out from under our bags.  Talking to a guy at REI he confirmed my idea of running beads of silicone on both sides of pad helps, but also makes it not so good to get re-packed.  Also considering the mesh liner like used in tool box and kitchen drawers but not sure it will stay put.

Before I dig out the silicone, is there a better idea out there?

I toss and turn a bunch, always have.  This seems to make it worse for me than it was for my wife.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 11:59:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Don’t inflate them all the way, it’ll be harder to roll off them if you sort of have rails on the sides. I put silicone on both sides of my NEMO Tensor and it doesn’t make the pad sticky when unrolling.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 5:48:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shaneus] [#3]
Gonna try the drawer liner.  mal wort had 24" x 60" rolls of it in a thin version for a buck apiece.  Cheap enough to experiment with and no permanent bad ideas glued to my pad.

Was dumb enough to try using these ground pads in a hammock once.  Pretty sure it did permanent damage to my wifes mind trying to stay on top of the thing.  Would have been funnier but we were in a clark 2 person V style hammock and I had no where to run.
Link Posted: 8/6/2023 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh, yeah, an inflatable pad is going to shoot right out of a hammock.  Like some sort of Olympic event.

But, in a car?  The pad is scooting? And, rather, it's not you sliding down or off the pad in the bag?  That's a little weird.  As mentioned, try lessening the inflation.  Also, as the pad ages and roughs up, it might lessen what was going on.

But, pad materials span the gamut.  Some are great, some are just slippery, sweaty things.  There's a real art to the pad material, and not all companies get it right, nor with all the different models.  Some pads just irredeemably suck.

If it's the carpet in the SUV, yeah, kitchen drawer liner will fix that - car camping so a bit more weight and bulk isn't going to sink the ship.  But, might also make it super squeaky, or some other strange effect.

My lightest tent and my lightest inflatable pad don't play well together.  Horribly sticky and obnoxiously squeaky between the pad and the tent floor.  Sort of the opposite of what you've got.  I spread some rock climbing chalk around on the tent floor, and problem solved, perhaps if only temporarily, but reapplication is easy enough.
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 7:44:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shaneus] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By L_JE:
Oh, yeah, an inflatable pad is going to shoot right out of a hammock.  Like some sort of Olympic event.

But, in a car?  The pad is scooting? And, rather, it's not you sliding down or off the pad in the bag?  That's a little weird.  As mentioned, try lessening the inflation.  Also, as the pad ages and roughs up, it might lessen what was going on.

But, pad materials span the gamut.  Some are great, some are just slippery, sweaty things.  There's a real art to the pad material, and not all companies get it right, nor with all the different models.  Some pads just irredeemably suck.

If it's the carpet in the SUV, yeah, kitchen drawer liner will fix that - car camping so a bit more weight and bulk isn't going to sink the ship.  But, might also make it super squeaky, or some other strange effect.

My lightest tent and my lightest inflatable pad don't play well together.  Horribly sticky and obnoxiously squeaky between the pad and the tent floor.  Sort of the opposite of what you've got.  I spread some rock climbing chalk around on the tent floor, and problem solved, perhaps if only temporarily, but reapplication is easy enough.
View Quote

Last outing was in a tent with a pretty slick floor.  Car camping in the sense of I aint carrying all that stuff very far.

The hammock thing was a nightmare.  Everything like a wet bar of soap slick.  Only tried it because the clark two person hammock makes an underquilt almost impossible and it was september and cooling off.  Funny in memory but my wife about lost it that night.
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 10:33:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Big Agnes bags have a slot to put a pad into.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2023 11:33:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By entropy:
Big Agnes bags have a slot to put a pad into.  
View Quote

That's what I was going to post.  Never had a problem with mine.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 12:00:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Put it in the bag with you?
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 1:59:27 AM EDT
[#9]
People will often run a couple of lines of Seam Grip laterally across a tent floor to keep pads in place.  Sea to Summit will put a few Seam-Grip-type dots on their pads for the same purpose.  If you mask it off with tape, and take your time, you can get it to look factory.  Though, I've never had the need to do this with any pad/tent floor combinations I've had.

On steeper slopes, head-up/feet-down, I'll slide my pack under the pad, under the knees, and that is typically enough to keep me from sliding down during the night.

If the issue is rolling off laterally, I'll stuff my shoes or boots under the downhill side of the pad.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 3:20:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Most sleeping bags have 2 or more tie-down loops per side, usually for hanging to dry.

If you have those, either 550 cord or velcro wraps (double purpose from wrapping something else) could help keep you on top of the pad.

But if you thrash so much you think you might damage those hanging points, I dunno what to tell you.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 3:45:25 AM EDT
[#11]
bivy bag
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 6:24:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ME2112:
Don’t inflate them all the way, it’ll be harder to roll off them if you sort of have rails on the sides. I put silicone on both sides of my NEMO Tensor and it doesn’t make the pad sticky when unrolling.
View Quote

I have dots of silicone on the underside of my Thermarest pads and have had no problems.
Top Top