Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2024 11:21:54 PM EDT

Ive gotten the second bad sinus infection this spring. Long story, but there was no opportunity to get to my primary care Dr the end of last week and I hate doc in the boxes.  

Rummaging around in the back of the freezer, I found a bottle of ampicillin with an expiration date of 2015.  

I can report that 48 hr is that has broken the fever and cleared up the burning in my head.

Again, not advocation for taking expired  antibiotic.
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 12:19:11 AM EDT
[#1]
A few years ago the U S Army studied drug efficacy vs. age. Some drugs were found to have suffered little to no loss of function. I'm sure you can find the results online.
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 12:40:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Absolutely zero need to freeze it. Just keep it below 80 degrees, dry, and in the dark.
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 12:50:37 AM EDT
[#3]
The expiration date on some meds is the date where the manufacturer will no longer guarantee the results.  The tell-tale sign of the expiration of an antibiotic is the odor of cat piss or vomit.
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 7:32:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 7:52:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Read the paper on the topic of drug effectiveness over time.
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 5:16:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GreatDane:
Absolutely zero need to freeze it. Just keep it below 80 degrees, dry, and in the dark.
View Quote

Some abx such as fortaz and naxcel need to be frozen once reconstituted.  They're injected though.

BTW if you want the good stuff get a giant python and take it to the vet for an RI.  You come home with vials, ringers solution, needles, and syringes and often there's a quite a bit left over.

Heck he wrote a prescription for pip-taz once and instead of five vials we were shipped five ten-box cases for the price of five vials.  We offered to return the unopened boxes back to the seller and couldn't... because rules.
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 5:27:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 9:33:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Another data point: our dog recently developed a raging UTI.  We treated it with some Amoxicillin that had an expiration date in 2015 but had been stored in a deep freezer.  We gave her a complete course, but she turned the corner after two doses, so it appears to be effective even nine years after its nominal expiration date.
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 10:00:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Bubbles:

Some abx such as fortaz and naxcel need to be frozen once reconstituted.  They're injected though.

BTW if you want the good stuff get a giant python and take it to the vet for an RI.  You come home with vials, ringers solution, needles, and syringes and often there's a quite a bit left over.

Heck he wrote a prescription for pip-taz once and instead of five vials we were shipped five ten-box cases for the price of five vials.  We offered to return the unopened boxes back to the seller and couldn't... because rules.
View Quote

If someone is to the point that they're able to stockpile IV ABX, I think it's safe to assume that they know all of that.
Link Posted: 6/3/2024 11:57:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Article summarizing the SLEP study that has been mentioned.

https://nextgencombatmedic.com/2018/01/08/expired-meds/

Link Posted: 6/5/2024 8:44:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By fish223:

It was called the The Shelf Life Extension Program, and it demonstrated fairly conclusively that properly stored meds are good decades beyond printed expiry dates.
There are notable exceptions, some antibiotics, most injectables, but yeah, most stuff is just fine for a looooooooong time.
View Quote

Thanks for that!

I read some of it when it came out.

They had a funny way of describing one drug, I think it was Norco: "It did not display reduced effectiveness over time." I wonder if it actually became stronger?
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 2:38:20 PM EDT
[#12]
See also the sinus flushes/rinses that ENTs prescribe before/after sinus surgery.  Not a doctor, not recommending them, etc. just a data point.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:
See also the sinus flushes/rinses that ENTs prescribe before/after sinus surgery.  Not a doctor, not recommending them, etc. just a data point.
View Quote

Yea.  The flushes work  wonders, but I am not disciplined enough to do them all the time.  I only use it one I already feel bad.

Link Posted: 6/8/2024 9:47:36 AM EDT
[#14]
My wife finally tossed out some Tylenol I got from Fort Wainwright. Dated 1999

Link Posted: 6/8/2024 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#15]
i have a BIG bottled of expiration date 2002 Bayer aspirin I still use.  works as advertised but has an acrid smell.  think thats normal though.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:47:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Expiration dates on most things from food to drugs are driven entirely by liability not efficacy.  In other words, determined by lawyers.

Two observations.  One, Americans throw away more food based on a spurious date than most of the world eats.  Two, on my prescription bottes the pharmacy puts a use by date.  This date is always one year after purchase.  Often times they cover the manufacturer's expiration date.  The manufacturer's dates have always been considerably longer.  But you can always get the manufacturer's date by contacting them with the lot number.  In fact, they are required to provide that information.

I actually did get some insulin once where the pharmacy use by date was almost a year after the manufacturer's use by date.  The first attempt at deflection was for the pharmacy to claim that "drugs don't expire exactly on the date on the package".  When I mentioned I would just contact the manufacturer to check the truth of this claim amazing things happened.  The pharmacist freaked out and contacted his corporate folks.  

Turned out the corporate folks were required to report the incident to the government.

Link Posted: 6/17/2024 8:50:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Army says Cipro is the best for long term storage, something like over 90% effective after 13-15 years.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 10:29:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Most medical compounds as well as vitamins and minerals break down over time. The expiration date is the last date that the manufacturer can guarantee the levels in the product match the levels listed on the label.  So theoretically the FDA can take a sample and test it for compliance with labeling. Out of date dry product most likely has a few micrograms less of one or two compounds or vitamins but still effective in treatment.
Link Posted: 6/17/2024 10:32:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By FrankSymptoms:
A few years ago the U S Army studied drug efficacy vs. age. Some drugs were found to have suffered little to no loss of function. I'm sure you can find the results online.
View Quote

Other than Tetracyclines antibiotics dont “go bad” as in become toxic. They just loose a little potency
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 9:59:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 10:42:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 5:51:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I have always believed that medicines manufactured in the USA have no expiration date. The quality is really good
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 7:35:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By evanscottmn:
I have always believed that medicines manufactured in the USA have no expiration date. The quality is really good
View Quote

Almost no medications are made here any more.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 4:46:26 AM EDT
[#24]
This checks. We had a small supply of pet antibiotics. My wife and I recently in the past months had different infections. Both of us used 15-year-old amoxicillin. Both of it was cleared up with no side effects. I asked my doctor about a year ago, also a prepper, about the dangers of expired antibiotics. he told me that it does not degrade. He said not to use any liquid antibiotics beyond their expiration date because that is a different type of chemical.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top