Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2024 2:17:50 PM EDT
I have to imagine we are getting close to the pinnacle of cost/tech/ and Chinese relations. I know a few tire kickers on here that haven’t taken the plunge yet and thought I’d share this guys link. He’s a bit eccentric but seems as unbiased as anyone else and quite knowledgeable. Worth checking out his other vids if any of the mentioned products blows up your skirt.

https://youtu.be/eaBLJ_7nd4U?si=cw7muIfz6LpnW9_Q
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 4:58:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I posted a deal on a pallet of 320watt panels that came in at .33 cents a watt here a few years ago. I was told that the price would soon be cheaper LMAO.

Meanwhile, my Kyocera 130 watt panels from the 1990's are still producing power at our house, along with newer ones.

Having originally paid $6.25 per watt back in the 90's, I realize that anything $1. or less per watt was a steal. But the analytical "list" types told me panels would be cheaper, I guess free at some point??? Prepper dreams I guess LOL.
View Quote

They went down to around 0.25 cents a watt earlier this year.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I paid pretty close to that earlier this year when I bought used Craigslist 490w panels to replace ones that were damaged by wind.

They’ve been working great so far.
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 6:06:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks OP
Link Posted: 7/13/2024 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 2:55:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Post a link if you would. New panels correct??
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They went down to around 0.25 cents a watt earlier this year.  

Post a link if you would. New panels correct??

@Lowdown3

Looks like the lowest is around 0.27 cents a watt now.

Pallets
https://signaturesolar.com/shop-all/solar-panels/pallets/

Smaller orders
https://signaturesolar.com/shop-all/solar-panels/new/
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 3:00:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks for posting that.

I'm sure many will continue to "wait till they are cheaper"-  the FS prepper Army I guess?

Have you bought from this place before by chance? What are you running for solar currently?

I just cleared out a bunch of grapes to make room for another couple racks of panels. Need to take inventory on how many panels we have in storage (several locations), but will likely increase our output to 10KW on the next addition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Lowdown3

Looks like the lowest is around 0.27 cents a watt now.

Pallets
https://signaturesolar.com/shop-all/solar-panels/pallets/

Smaller orders
https://signaturesolar.com/shop-all/solar-panels/new/

Thanks for posting that.

I'm sure many will continue to "wait till they are cheaper"-  the FS prepper Army I guess?

Have you bought from this place before by chance? What are you running for solar currently?

I just cleared out a bunch of grapes to make room for another couple racks of panels. Need to take inventory on how many panels we have in storage (several locations), but will likely increase our output to 10KW on the next addition.

I bought a pallet of 530w panels a couple of years back from them.  Sadly, I haven't found some land to build a new house on yet, so they are sitting in the garage .

Also, bought some EG3 batteries and inverters from them that are sitting here waiting on land too.

I also have some Bluetti AC200Ps that I use for short outages.  If something goes longer, then I'll be throwing the EG4 stuff together quickly.

Haven't had any issues with Signaturesolar and they seem to be heavily used in the DIY community.
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 10:42:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks for posting that.

View Quote

The drop in panel prices was anticipated.  The main reasons were fewer people (in the US) were having panels installed on their homes or businesses for the last year or so, then several states changed the way and/or rates that grid-tied system owners could sell power back to the electric companies which also lowered incentive to get a solar system.

mm
Link Posted: 7/14/2024 11:08:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks for posting that.

View Quote

I have not purchased from Signature Solar but I live near them and have been to their facility. I am on their Facebook group and know people who have purchased from them. Overall they seem to be a good company and they are growing rapidly. They have a store you can walk into and purchase in person.

I will be building a whole home system from them this year and plan to use the Aptos 395w panels for the project.
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 3:31:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I posted a deal on a pallet of 320watt panels that came in at .33 cents a watt here a few years ago. I was told that the price would soon be cheaper LMAO.

Meanwhile, my Kyocera 130 watt panels from the 1990's are still producing power at our house, along with newer ones.

Having originally paid $6.25 per watt back in the 90's, I realize that anything $1. or less per watt was a steal. But the analytical "list" types told me panels would be cheaper, I guess free at some point??? Prepper dreams I guess LOL.
View Quote

We've got some panels for our well at the cabin installed in 1979/80 still working within spec.  They do take up a lot of real estate for the ~900w of solar but works for our purposes.
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 3:42:25 PM EDT
[#12]
New battery arriving today! Got everything out and finally ready to be installed at our new place, it's a baby system but has worked great for almost 10 years, putting up DC lighting fixtures today too for emergencies. Next purchase will be a couple more panels.
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 3:57:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I bought for about .27/watt.  Decided it was time to get the house off grid capable and went for it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 3:59:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks for posting that.

View Quote
I bought mine from them last November. The pallet of Hyundai 305w panels came out to ~.27/w after taxes.

https://signaturesolar.com/9-15kw-pallet-hyundai-305w-solar-panel-black-frame-half-cell-mono-crystalline-hia-s305hg-full-pallet-30-9-15kw-total/
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 4:18:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Noob question here, i've only ever had one panel, i'm assuming you just parallel more when connecting to the charge controller? The controller I have is good for up to 30 amps, but only has one input from the panel(s) and it's only 10 gauge to boot.
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 4:37:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Noob question here, i've only ever had one panel, i'm assuming you just parallel more when connecting to the charge controller? The controller I have is good for up to 30 amps, but only has one input from the panel(s) and it's only 10 gauge to boot.
View Quote
Depends on your charge controller. Mine are rated for 480v. I use a combination of series and parallel to put it in the working range of my inverter/charge controller.
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 4:49:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 4:55:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Depends on your charge controller. Mine are rated for 480v. I use a combination of series and parallel to put it in the working range of my inverter/charge controller.
View Quote

Max solar voltage input = 42v
Max PV input power = 360w (12v) 720w (24v)

Charge and load currents both 30a

10 gauge input for power on this thing seems a little light in the face of 360w/30a of power, when I worked in DC we'd have used 8 gauge for that much power.

Okay so just checking documentation and it says when using a PWM controller I should only use 12 volt panels with a 12 volt battery set-up, and only use 24 volt panels with a 24 volt battery system. One of the limitations of the cheap controller I guess, will update that one day.

So despite the 42v rating i'm guessing that means I should only run parallel 12 volt panels if i'm using a 12 volt battery system.
Link Posted: 7/16/2024 8:34:53 PM EDT
[#19]
You should prob just buy one 300-350w panel that puts out less than 42v max open circuit

12v panels aren’t usually a thing but generally panels are put in series and the voltages stack.  So if you really had panels with 12v max open circuit you could prob put 3 in series.  

You mostly need to make sure that charger is designed to charge the type of battery you have
Link Posted: 7/17/2024 7:03:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You should prob just buy one 300-350w panel that puts out less than 42v max open circuit

12v panels aren’t usually a thing but generally panels are put in series and the voltages stack.  So if you really had panels with 12v max open circuit you could prob put 3 in series.  

You mostly need to make sure that charger is designed to charge the type of battery you have
View Quote

You can get 400 watt panels that are around 37 volts now.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 1:08:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Perhaps this is a ignorant question, but if you are wiring panels in series to increase the voltage to the charger, and one panel is damaged or fails, how does that affect the output of the group, compared to the panels being wired in parallel, where if one fails, only the electric produced form that one panel would be lost?
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 6:13:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Perhaps this is a ignorant question, but if you are wiring panels in series to increase the voltage to the charger, and one panel is damaged or fails, how does that affect the output of the group, compared to the panels being wired in parallel, where if one fails, only the electric produced form that one panel would be lost?
View Quote
Most panels have bypass diodes. So one panel in shade or damaged it should run through the bypass diode and keep working.
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was looking at those on the site posted earlier in this thread, pretty cool and cheap too, but they all had a minimum purchase of 10. I'm sure I could find a single one elsewhere. But that site did have 100 watt panels on sale for 50 bucks and no minimum, was thinking about buying a couple, that would give me three total for 300 watts.

We just bought the place and it's a fixer-upper so I have some other projects to deal with first this year, but down the line i'd like to get us off the grid completely. It's a small house and we don't use much power at all, I think we can do it fairly cheaply.

This battery I got is retardedly heavy for it's size. Sitting at 13v unconnected too. Freakin raining today unfortunately so I can't get the panel up today.
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 5:49:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I was looking at those on the site posted earlier in this thread, pretty cool and cheap too, but they all had a minimum purchase of 10. I'm sure I could find a single one elsewhere. But that site did have 100 watt panels on sale for 50 bucks and no minimum, was thinking about buying a couple, that would give me three total for 300 watts.

We just bought the place and it's a fixer-upper so I have some other projects to deal with first this year, but down the line i'd like to get us off the grid completely. It's a small house and we don't use much power at all, I think we can do it fairly cheaply.

This battery I got is retardedly heavy for it's size. Sitting at 13v unconnected too. Freakin raining today unfortunately so I can't get the panel up today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Dragynn

You might look at Santan Solar.  Not sure they have a minimum to buy.

https://www.santansolar.com/product-category/solar-panels/?_wcf_search=solarpanels%3D116
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#25]
I used to just buy new name brand panels. Last time I bought used off Craig’s list.  They’re working as good or better than new.  No issues. Fraction of the price.  I’m sold.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 1:31:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

@Dragynn

https://www.santansolar.com/product-category/solar-panels/?_wcf_search=solarpanels%3D116
View Quote

@DaGoose thanks for that link, looks like there's several on sale that would work good too.
Link Posted: 7/20/2024 2:16:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

@DaGoose thanks for that link, looks like there's several on sale that would work good too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Dragynn

Hopefully, they don't have a minimum to buy
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 3:37:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Dragynn

Well, there is a 10 panel minimum to ship (they mentioned that they can sell fewer than 10 for local pickup), but at least their shipping is a lot more reasonable than the other link (Signature Solar shows $1,xxx for freight shipping for 10x370w panels, doubling the cost vs the enticing listed prices. SanTan quoted $263 to ship the 10x330w Aionrise panels, which actually does come out to $0.37/claimed watt after taxes and shipping, which is a pretty darned good deal).
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 6:01:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Well, there is a 10 panel minimum to ship (they mentioned that they can sell fewer than 10 for local pickup), but at least their shipping is a lot more reasonable than the other link (Signature Solar shows $1,xxx for freight shipping for 10x370w panels, doubling the cost vs the enticing listed prices. SanTan quoted $263 to ship the 10x330w Aionrise panels, which actually does come out to $0.37/claimed watt after taxes and shipping, which is a pretty darned good deal).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Dragynn

Interesting.  When I bought my pallet of 31 panels, the shipping was around $300, but that was a few years back, so it may have gone up.  You can call them to get an up to date shipping cost also.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 10:49:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Are these 300w panels being posted good-to-go? I am always lost on the brands and etc. and need to get on this.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 5:07:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Are these 300w panels being posted good-to-go? I am always lost on the brands and etc. and need to get on this.
View Quote

@Canoeguy

What inverter you going to use with them?
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

@Canoeguy

View Quote

I have no idea. I need to put together a system completely and though I have researched some, I am still pretty damn lost.
Link Posted: 7/22/2024 9:23:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I have no idea. I need to put together a system completely and though I have researched some, I am still pretty damn lost.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Canoeguy

My advice is to figure out the power load you need handle first, then figure out the inverter(s) you will want to use (I suggest something with a high voltage limit), and then figure out the solar panels (you may need certain ones due to the limits on the inverter(s)).
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 9:55:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

My advice is to figure out the power load you need handle first, then figure out the inverter(s) you will want to use (I suggest something with a high voltage limit), and then figure out the solar panels (you may need certain ones due to the limits on the inverter(s)).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Canoeguy

Good advice that.

When I decided to dip my toes into solar years ago, we were renting, so no point in buying a whole house system anyway, but I wanted to get my feet wet and learn more. Note that I do have a cert in basic electronics, and worked for years in DC install, just not solar, so I do have a basic understanding of electronics. Important to first at least learn about Ohm's law and some quick calculations if you haven't done so already.

E            P
-------     --------
I  | R       I  |  E

So the steps I took:

1. Started monitoring my electric bill, noting the price(s) per kwh and how my usage varied through the year.
2. Bought a Kill-a-Watt meter and measured everything in the house, very inexpensive and extremely useful item, results may surprise you.
3. Bought a turnkey kit, panel-hardware-cables-charge controller-inverter (Renogy). Plus bought a single deep-cycle battery as local store had a sale.
4. Installed it all + some 12-volt light fixtures, and started using/testing it over time to see it's limitations, and get an idea of what would be needed to scale up.

The one thing I didn't do, was keep up with the industry over the years, so some of these high voltage set-ups threw me for a loop, not to mention the fall in prices, lol. So I have some catching up to do.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

My point is, people getting started in this that already have a generator, should look to buying a quality inverter/charger and if necessary and/or as backup plan on integrating the generator to charge batteries, pump water, etc.

Helluva lot better use of a generator than just running constantly tied directly to house. You want to avoid that for many a reasons...
View Quote

Awesome advice right there, we learned that lesson during multiple power outages. Ran DC lights off the solar + TV and recharging phones, tablets etc. Fired up the genset once a day or sometimes every other day, for an hour or two, pump/heat water, shower/dishes/clothes, re-charge solar batt fully, re-freeze fridge, done.

Our 3.5K genny will run about 10-12 hours on a 4 gallon tank of gas, I keep 40 gallons extra on-hand. So using the genset like that we could go up to 10 weeks or better before I would need more gas.

I just purchased a kit to retrofit our genny to run propane as well as gas, our home came with a 250 gallon propane tank that powers nothing currently but a wall heater, so now I have a big backup supply of genset juice.
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 3:56:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Canoeguy

Do you know how much power you will want/need?
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 5:46:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Begin with the end in mind- too many "preppers" say they "just want to run a ..." usually a fridge, freezer, etc. As such they PLAN SMALL. Some wasted a lot of money on the harbor freight panels that some of these new preppers pushed so hard 10+ years ago.

Begin with the end in mind- even if you think you will never run your whole house off grid, plan for that. Yes you will need batteries.

Most emergency minded folks have a generator- usually a gas generator but a generator never the less. In the long, long ago when we started off grid, solar was crazy expensive- $6.25 a watt like I mentioned earlier in this thread. A 2KW solar array was considered large at the time.

Most people used a generator as the heart of their system at the time. A real inverter/charger was tied in with the generator under the AC1 in. Any solar came in via the controllers (I started with Trace C40s and all but one has survived 25 years, 1 was lost in a close lightning strike), later MPPT controllers. A larger battery bank rounded it out.

We lived off of 1600 watts solar for a long while, had 24 to 28 L16s as our battery bank. Many mornings I would fire our 12KW diesel genset and run it for half hour or so. Wife ran any heavy loads then- washer, etc. but these could also be run normally without any problems. We pumped water then also and the battery bank was being topped off with the AC input from generator.

We used LP gas for cooking and water heater to reduce those loads on the small system. Later we added more panels and run 5KW with solar. We rarely ever needed the genset after that.

My point is, people getting started in this that already have a generator, should look to buying a quality inverter/charger and if necessary and/or as backup plan on integrating the generator to charge batteries, pump water, etc.

Helluva lot better use of a generator than just running constantly tied directly to house. You want to avoid that for many a reasons...
View Quote
  Looking at gennys, until you get to large pallet/trailer mounted ones, i've found it difficult to find one that has more than 20ish AH for DC output.    I would enjoy having a better charging option.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
  Looking at gennys, until you get to large pallet/trailer mounted ones, i've found it difficult to find one that has more than 20ish AH for DC output.    I would enjoy having a better charging option.  
View Quote

Just get a battery charger matched to your bank voltage and genny size.

https://www.chargingchargers.com/battery-chargers.php

I have a 40 amp 48v charger I use with my champion inverter genny and a 48v 100 amp eg4 chargeverter I use with my diesel genny.

https://www.currentconnected.com/product/eg4-chargeverter-v2-48v-100a-battery-charger/?gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAAozoc4wqQjg01NBhVPewIYhwPVwO0&gclid=CjwKCAjwqf20BhBwEiwAt7dtdY-PN9bNVJfTSQ_XKuEQJtx2ljscyKZauJxKSO71UdRac2zQ4HTAohoCPuYQAvD_BwE
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top