Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2024 9:49:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stanprophet09]
Had about a 6 hour opening to south America including the Falklands island today. Some southern states working into New Zeland.

Also big CME inbound. Severity depends on polarity being favorable or not.

NOAA predicts severe geomagnetic storm- October 9, 2024
Link Posted: 10/9/2024 10:28:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I could not get the Falklands (VP8NO) although I called him for a bit, he went QRT rather quickly. That would be an new one for me on 6.

BUT I did manage to snag the PX0FF FERNANDO DE NORONHA on 6 meters which finished that entity out 160 thru 6

Of course I heard many other South Americans but I didn't need them. A friend I hunt DX with snagged PZ5RA but I already had him on 6. He has been trying to get him for several years now to finish out Surinam.
Link Posted: 10/10/2024 2:25:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stanprophet09] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By K0UA:
I could not get the Falklands (VP8NO) although I called him for a bit, he went QRT rather quickly. That would be an new one for me on 6.

BUT I did manage to snag the PX0FF FERNANDO DE NORONHA on 6 meters which finished that entity out 160 thru 6

Of course I heard many other South Americans but I didn't need them. A friend I hunt DX with snagged PZ5RA but I already had him on 6. He has been trying to get him for several years now to finish out Surinam.
View Quote

Had about an hour this morning where Ecuador was booming in. No stateside stations at all. Worked 3 of them. They then were working VB stations in Indonesia long path and was hearing them off the back of the beams. I worked PX0FF yesterday and was hearing him again today. Then the CME impacted and changed the conditions quick.  You never really know on 6. Sometimes the CME will open up the north south path pretty wide. The HC stations were +5 here for an hour with no one else working them. Must have been a perfect path from me to them.
Link Posted: 10/10/2024 7:47:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/10/2024 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#4]
6m AU is not as good as May but the Visuals have been epic. Super bright to the eye. Last time was stronger but we had rain all night. In May worked a bunch of guys on SSB and Q65 AU.
Link Posted: 10/10/2024 8:34:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Reports coming in all over the east coast on visible aurora. Naked eye visible in NYC.
Link Posted: 10/10/2024 9:18:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm way north of NYC and...nothing

Never seen Kp this high, it's nearly 9
Link Posted: 10/10/2024 9:27:39 PM EDT
[#7]
The Aurora map on ham clock is going crazy right now.
Link Posted: 10/10/2024 10:12:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stanprophet09] [#8]
I think right when the sun went down we did have another flare and the KP was pretty strong. Super lucky to see them as bright as we did. Just a haze now but they are still there.  

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

But the pictures now look better than in person. The photos right as sunset were almost as good with your eye.

ETA: here is a picture of WSJT ans Q65B 15sec on 6m.

If you have run Q65 you will see just how distorted they are.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/10/2024 10:33:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Here are a few photos I just took here in mid Missouri.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Band conditions are horrible but the auroras are nice.
Link Posted: 10/10/2024 11:01:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Seems its picking back up here. Not as good to the eye as earlier. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/10/2024 11:22:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: seek2] [#11]
About half of AZ just lost power if my information is right. Might be related to the storm.

ETA: looks like is was sporadic outages at the end of longer lines in a few different parts of the state, nothing
major but annoying.
Link Posted: 10/11/2024 5:46:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8nbait] [#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By K0UA:

View Quote

Congrats on getting PX0FF on 6m.      I have been making it a point the last few afternoons to have the radio on 6 and the beam pointed that direction but so far not a single decode.   They will be there a while and I have worked other SA stations this week so I am hopeful.        They have made over 1300 6m Q's so they are making a real effort on 6m.     Worked them on 10-60m so far and crossing my fingers they get their street light problem fixed so I cen get them on 160m.

Top Top