Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Knife for field dressing (Page 2 of 2)
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Another vote for the mora.  You don't need much knife for field dressing.  I also carry a havalon for further breakdown or skinning when I need to to that.  I have boned out elk with just the havalon several times, it works great.
Link Posted: 9/19/2024 4:13:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fgshoot] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JimPope:

I have always thought of field dressing as gutting.  Then it gets skinned and broken down either back at camp or somewhere else.

This is whitetail deer though, I know things are different when you’re out west and don’t have an easy way to move an entire elk besides packing it out.
View Quote

I guess I'm just confused. If all he wants is a knife to make a single cut up the stomach, and cut out the butt, what is the problem? I can't think of a less demanding job of any tool. And if you do want a really good knife, why wouldn't you want to use it for skinning and quartering too? The only reason I can think of to use a second knife for gutting is to keep a clean knife or quartering or boning out meat. In that case I don't see why you would want anything but the cheapest, lightest thing that could do the job.
Link Posted: 9/24/2024 11:48:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I've always liked knives of alaska pretty good quality to price ratio that said I gutted a deer tonight with a $5 ozark trail fixed blade cause it's what I had in the truck
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Knife for field dressing (Page 2 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top