Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2023 11:59:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NesralG]
I need a new pair of binos. I have limited real time experience with quality offerings. I used a pair of Steiner Predators on an Ozark Mountains hunt and imo they satisfied my true needs.

My main objective is glassing whitetails at dusk in a variety of Midwestern terrain. Most of my glassing will be done from a static position i.e. sitting on a tailgate or an atv but I also am interested in something that's not too cumbersome to put in a harness and still shoot a bow.

I think I want something in the 8x42 category. Low light performance clarity are my top priorities.

$1k is my absolute top end of the budget. For the sake of price/value comparisons I can get a pair of Vortex Vipers for $380 and the Razor HD 8x42 for $760 with the veterans discount.

What are your experiences/recommendations?
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 12:18:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Take a look at Meopta's offering

Link Posted: 7/24/2023 1:00:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Any reason you only want to go 8X? I usually go at least 10x. Some really good glass can be had for 1K. I have Leupold, Vortex and Steiner.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 1:06:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NesralG] [#3]
I’m not sure I need 10x. My understanding is that exit pupil on a 8x42 allows for more light transmission than 10x42. Again, given my limited experience higher quality glass may make that null?

That, and most of my glassing will be within 200-600 yards.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 1:09:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NotIssued] [#4]
I'm not a fan of vortex, as a rule.  Steiner or Nikkon.  Auto-focus is awesome.

Edit: Zeiss and Leupold are solid as well.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 1:53:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Steiner Conquest HD and then Meopta Meostar in that price range, in that order.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 2:04:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Oldgold] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NesralG:
I’m not sure I need 10x. My understanding is that exit pupil on a 8x42 allows for more light transmission than 10x42. Again, given my limited experience higher quality glass may make that null?

View Quote

At dusk you definitely need 10x 50 minimum. I’m considering 12 or 15.  I’ve been using Swarovski 10x56 for years. Best buy I ever made. Difference between seeing or nothing there.

ETA, I have a 8x50 Steiners. Can’t see near as late.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 2:08:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a pair of Steiner Predators that have performed well.  They are a bit bulky IMHO.  Recently I purchased a pair of Leupold McKenzie HD's in 10 x 42 which are very reasonable as far as price.  The Leupold's vs the Steiner's optically are very close in performance as viewed by my old eyes.  I actually like the Leupold's better.

As we have some acreage I have been sitting on the back deck and viewing whitetails up to 200 yards in the open pasture with no problems.

Good luck on your quest.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 2:52:22 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Buying good glass is always a challenge for me. So many good choices now. Thats part of the reason I have 7 different pairs of binos.
I have always liked 10x. Makes range determination in my head easier for me and with 8x42 and 10x42 being the same size with the only diff being slighly smaller FOV I usually opt for more power, uuh, uhh , uhh. lol
Also most of the higher end stuff light transmission between a 8x and 10x should be mute. I am also partial to Leupold. Had a cousin that worked there in the 80's.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 3:04:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NesralG] [#9]
Originally Posted By Oldgold:

At dusk you definitely need10x 50 minimum. I’m considering 12 or 15.  I’ve been using Swarovski 10x56 for years. Best buy I ever made. Difference between seeing or nothing there.

ETA, I have a 8x50 Steiners. Can’t see near as late.
View Quote

This has me intrigued, why?

A pair of 10x50 are typically significantly more bulky than a 8x40. Although I stated majority of my glassing will be static, I will most certainly be donning a harness over a pair of chest wadders and pushing thru some swamps, tall marsh grass, and reeds.

Also, when you say Swarovski vs Steiner, what's the price category you're referring to? Are we talking a $600 pair of Steiner vs a $2k pair of Swarovski?

One more thing. A lot of my glassing will be of low contrasting images. As in looking for bucks cruising tree lines, in/out of brush thickets and other dark backgrounds. I'm not as much concerned about watching the animal out in the open.

Thanks all for your input so far!
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 3:04:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cycolac] [#10]

View Quote

The 'mechanical' exit pupil measurement can be enhanced or negated by the internal coatings. The best thing would be to read up on them and try to compare some side by side if you can.

Link Posted: 7/24/2023 3:30:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NesralG] [#11]
Originally Posted By dashender:
Steiner Conquest HD and then Meopta Meostar in that price range, in that order.
View Quote

Do you mean Ziess Conquest HD?

Edit.. where are you seeing Meopta Meostar at $1k? Everything I'm seeing is approaching $2k.

I could definitely swing the Zeiss Conquest HD though.
Link Posted: 7/24/2023 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#12]
My Steiner marine 10x50 binoculars are good if you can find a tripod adapter, hung from your neck at 36.3 ounce will get to you after glassing a while.
The Kahles 10x42 in the picture are a mere 24 ounce, and are a pleasure to wear during hunting season,  imho are optically better than the Steiners both in clarity and light gathering at dusk.
Unfortunately the Kahles are no longer available, they went to Helia bino's which have additional features.
Swarovski''s if you can swing them, Leica's, Athlon, Vortex.

Link Posted: 7/24/2023 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Do you mean Ziess Conquest HD?

Edit.. where are you seeing Meopta Meostar at $1k? Everything I'm seeing is approaching $2k.

I could definitely swing the Zeiss Conquest HD though.
View Quote

I have the Zeiss Conquest HD in 8x42 and some older Zeiss from my father in law that are Victory 8x56B T*P*

The Conquest HDs are great, I would recommend.

Link Posted: 7/24/2023 10:01:30 PM EDT
[#14]
If 1k is your budget then I'd suggest the Zeiss Conquest, but I'd go with the 10x42. Unless you are going to be using them in the woods the majority of the time. You'll be able to locate and see deer with 8x, but you won't be able to make out details.
Link Posted: 7/29/2023 2:27:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Stopped by my local Sportsmans Warehouse and got to look thru several different binos. I've definitely decided on the 10 x 42 category after comparing several brands of 8x42 and 10x42, imo anything in the 50mm objective is too bulky for my needs.

I think I've ruled out the Razors, especially comparing them to Leupold's BX-5 Santium. Keeping in mind these were the HD Razor NOT the UHD Razor. To MY eyes the HD Razor were on par with the Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide. The chromatic aberration was much more apparent in the Razor than the BX-5.

I was not impressed with any of the Bushnell or Sig offerings. Unfortunately they didn't have any of the Zeiss Conquest in stock and I'd really like to compare them side by side with the BX-5.

I should not have looked thru the Swarovski NL
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 10:38:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Cycolac:

The 'mechanical' exit pupil measurement can be enhanced or negated by the internal coatings. The best thing would be to read up on them and try to compare some side by side if you can.

View Quote

Disagree...your dilated eyes will not be flooded with light if the exit pupil is too small.

Your eyes are dilated to 6 or 7mm when its darker.

8x42s have an exit pupil of 5.25mm
10x42 are 4.2mm

Doesn't seem like much different, but you need more light getting to your retina in low light.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 8:23:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Dropped the hammer on the Leupold BX-5 10x42

Link Posted: 8/8/2023 8:04:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NesralG] [#18]
Got out to do a couple days of glassing with the new binos.. they're quite nice!

Definitely in need of a harness lol

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 2:25:51 PM EDT
[#19]
8x is way easier to stabilize by hand. Go on the Bird watcher forums. 7x and 8x are the norm.

I went 8x and it does work better.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 2:46:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I run Steiner Predator Pro 10x42's for hunting groundhogs.  I stabilize them while glassing by hooking my index fingers on the brim of my hat while standing up.  Works for me, but your mileage may vary.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 2:55:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Just got some new Swarovski 15x. Game changer. They had them on sale at Europtic.
Top Top