Originally Posted By Moon-Watcher:

They meant on a geological timescale...
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/14/2024 10:29:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K9-Bob] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By M4Madness:
Excerpt from ARRL update today:

While the Logbook of The World® server, Online DXCC, and related user data are secure and unaffected, we have taken the precautionary measure of keeping the services offline until we can ensure the security and integrity of our networks.
View Quote
View Quote

Translation: “We’re as fucked up as a soup sandwich and are in way over our heads.”
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 1:22:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Too bad the chick with a dick they hired can't code.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 5:23:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Seems like the Director of IT should have a handle on this by now.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 6:13:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Mach:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By aa777888-2 on page 4:
Looking at the ARRL org. chart, as of Jan 2024 they had no director of IT. That might also have something to do with their difficulties.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/16697/Capture_JPG-3228965.JPG
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 7:41:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm beginning to suspect that the ARRL isn't capable of hiring someone/some organization with the competence to fix the problems for what they are willing/able to pay.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 9:19:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By weaponeer1911:
I'm beginning to suspect that the ARRL isn't capable of hiring someone/some organization with the competence to fix the problems for what they are willing/able to pay.
View Quote
Good experienced trans-gendered IT people are getting a premium these days.
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 9:57:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By aa777888-2:

View All Quotes

Looking at the ARRL org. chart, as of Jan 2024 they had no director of IT. That might also have something to do with their difficulties.

sarcasm
Link Posted: 6/15/2024 11:08:44 AM EDT
[#9]

sarcasm
View All Quotes

sarcasm

Check!
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 7:28:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Attachment Attached File

Training at the ARRL Headquarters...first comment kills me. "Don't use the wifi!"
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 7:33:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By K9-Bob:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54857/Screenshot_2024-06-18_182749_png-3244790.JPG

Training at the ARRL Headquarters...first comment kills me. "Don't use the wifi!"
View Quote

She's a gay activist, among other things.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 8:30:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 8:40:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Emoto:
View Quote

Claims to be a "hacker" on QRZ page

Link Posted: 6/18/2024 8:52:31 PM EDT
[#14]
She has a youtube channel, and is involved with the arrl in some way. I don't follow her, but she has been in a couple videos I have watched.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Sierra5:

He isn’t it?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Sierra5:

He isn’t it?

Oh, I don't know. Thought it was a woman but could be wrong. Is helpful on the FB ham radio groups until someone strays from the narrative.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 9:45:02 PM EDT
[#16]
He is a dude who is upset with the FCC because they keep a record of past applications.  Ryan was AB2MH.
Link Posted: 6/18/2024 10:19:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K9-Bob] [#17]
Trans or not...it still made me chuckle when she/he said "Don't use the wifi".

Now if the ARRL would please just restore LoTW that would be great.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 8:02:23 AM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 6/19/2024 8:37:10 AM EDT
[#19]
5 days with no update.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 9:28:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Moon-Watcher:
He is a dude who is upset with the FCC because they keep a record of past applications.  Ryan was AB2MH.
View Quote

I was friends with Ryan and his ex wife years ago. Met them at Dayton in the mid 2000s.

Long before "Ria" came to be.

They simply dropped off the radar a few years after that and "she" resurfaced.

FWIW, I've learned to stay away from drama of any sort. Including reassignment stuff. As long as it's not continually emphasized in my presence, I simply don't care what someone does to themselves. Leave me and mine out of it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 9:40:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#21]
Trans or not...it still made me chuckle when she/he said "Don't use the wifi".

Now if the ARRL would please just restore LoTW that would be great.
View Quote

I think if they were able to they would have already done it.

The data may be secure and unaffected, but that doesn't mean they have access to it.

They may have taken the precautionary measure of keeping the services offline ( ie. unplugged ) but that doesn't mean they have access to the machines the data is on or they have access to the data.

At this point I think they are probably lying. It has been over a month, they could have bought and installed an all new server system by now and restored everything. Or bought a new server service and had it set up by now. They either don't really have access to the data, or don't have access to their network ( as in ransom ware ) or they simply do not have the money to rebuild any of it.

It appears they had one system and that system is not recoverable or they aren't spending the money to recover it or install a new system in house or by contract. My guess this is all in house because a contract service would have probably had it back online a long time ago.

Link Posted: 6/19/2024 12:41:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 6:52:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 5:09:34 PM EDT
[#24]
ARRL Systems Service Disruption
06/21/2024
Updated 6/21/2024

ARRL staff continue to work with outside industry experts to ensure that all servers have been remediated, tested, and all data has been confirmed. We have also been working to ensure that the network is secure.

As noted in previous updates, Logbook of The World® servers and data are fine and working. LoTW® has dependencies on other servers, for example membership data, which have not yet been returned to service. We will announce when LoTW is open for user access. We anticipate that the queue will grow quite large once live, and we are evaluating ways to manage that potential issue.

As a reminder, 2024 ARRL Field Day is this weekend. We note that some groups have scaled back or cancelled their outdoor plans due to excessive heat or severe weather threats. Please use caution this weekend (visit Heat.gov for heat and health information). Enjoy Field Day. The Field Day bulletin will be transmitted from W1AW and K6KPH as scheduled (see PDF schedule). Your Field Day results may be uploaded to https://field-day.arrl.org/fdentry.php or mailed to ARRL after the event.

This story will be updated with new developments.
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 7:28:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By K0UA:

ARRL Systems Service Disruption
06/21/2024
Updated 6/21/2024

ARRL staff continue to work with outside industry experts to ensure that all servers have been remediated, tested, and all data has been confirmed. We have also been working to ensure that the network is secure.

As noted in previous updates, Logbook of The World® servers and data are fine and working. LoTW® has dependencies on other servers, for example membership data, which have not yet been returned to service. We will announce when LoTW is open for user access. We anticipate that the queue will grow quite large once live, and we are evaluating ways to manage that potential issue.

As a reminder, 2024 ARRL Field Day is this weekend. We note that some groups have scaled back or cancelled their outdoor plans due to excessive heat or severe weather threats. Please use caution this weekend (visit Heat.gov for heat and health information). Enjoy Field Day. The Field Day bulletin will be transmitted from W1AW and K6KPH as scheduled (see PDF schedule). Your Field Day results may be uploaded to https://field-day.arrl.org/fdentry.php or mailed to ARRL after the event.

This story will be updated with new developments.
View Quote

I'm hanging on every update.. *grows more beard*
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 7:53:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/21/2024 7:59:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Attachment Attached File

Another ARRL nothing burger...I will believe LoTW's return when I see it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 9:09:38 AM EDT
[#28]
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/1_jSByjK_Dqh5tKdoT2kFFgg-2251418-821.png

View Quote

Their communications truly suck. How about a tentative schedule? How about a percentage of tasks complete?
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 10:16:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#29]

Their communications truly suck. How about a tentative schedule? How about a percentage of tasks complete?
View All Quotes

There is always a very simple explanation when ever an organization or an individual refuses to give information.

It is because they don't want to tell you to know because they don't want you to know.

They have been vague and non-committal which usually means they are not telling the truth and are maintaining an out for their communication.

ie. Data is secure, we chose to take it offline. They want you to think they have it, have access to it and it was unaffected, but they never say that.

It could simply mean the machine the data was on is now unplugged and locked in a closet, they may not have access to the data and maybe are not sure the data is even there anymore.

"wipe the drive?, you mean like with a cloth?"  words have multiple meanings and people that lie and or don't tell the whole truth choose words with multiple meanings and remain vague which is exactly what the ARRL is doing.

They tell us the reason and the only reason why they have made any statements about what happened at all, members are demanding to know what the status is. So they say something without a lot of meaning because they don't want to say what really happened and what the real status is.

Day 40
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#30]

There is always a very simple explanation when ever an organization or an individual refuses to give information.

It is because they don't want to tell you to know because they don't want you to know.

They have been vague and non-committal which usually means they are not telling the truth and are maintaining an out for their communication.

ie. Data is secure, we chose to take it offline. They want you to think they have it, have access to it and it was unaffected, but they never say that.

It could simply mean the machine the data was on is now unplugged and locked in a closet, they may not have access to the data and maybe are not sure the data is even there anymore.

"wipe the drive?, you mean like with a cloth?"  words have multiple meanings and people that lie and or don't tell the whole truth choose words with multiple meanings and remain vague which is exactly what the ARRL is doing.

They tell us the reason and the only reason why they have made any statements about what happened at all, members are demanding to know what the status is. So they say something without a lot of meaning because they don't want to say what really happened and what the real status is.
View All Quotes

Any and all of that is certainly possible. I typically tend to lean more toward incompetence than deliberate bad deeds in most cases, but in this case, who knows.
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 10:37:15 AM EDT
[#31]

Their communications truly suck.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/22/2024 10:08:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Like I said early on. I am sure the data is quite secure and encrypted. They do not want or cannot pay the ransom. They are hoping they get lucky and one of the outside contractors can brute force it because he will tell them he can likely crack it. But the reality is he is going to milk that cow as long as he can while Kali performs dictionary attacks against the encryption key. But the truth is that hackers know how to create passwords and encryption keys. It would take a lot of time and computer power to accomplish that. Hell look at the Iphone the FBI paid millions to crack, took them like 7 months and he was not a hacker.

I would be really surprised if we see LOTW come up ever again, and if it does, it will more likely be a reboot. All the contacts with SK will likely be gone forever.

And no I do not have any insider information. Most of this is an educated guess at this point. But what I am saying likely has more truth to it than anything the ARRL has said as of late.

ARRL right now.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2024 10:51:32 PM EDT
[#33]
I have everything in qrz that I have in lotw. I burned a thumb drive of everything since this happened.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 2:32:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Emoto] [#34]
Wrote a rather critical letter to the ARRL CEO, and cc'd the president and the public relations manager. Paper, via USPS.

I don't expect my letter to influence them, but at least they will get the "benefit" of my thoughts on the matter.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 6:19:20 PM EDT
[#35]
I called a few times after there VOIP lines came back on.

( asking for a LOTW ETA )

The first time the lady was really nice

The second time, she sounded like a crabby DMV worker

Link Posted: 6/25/2024 8:12:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
I have everything in qrz that I have in lotw. I burned a thumb drive of everything since this happened.
View Quote

Did you really not already have a local copy in your logging software?
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 10:46:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Some noises that the LOTW server or parts of it are starting to stagger up.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 10:51:46 PM EDT
[#38]
The login screen is up. some have said they were able to upload logs. It is slow as molasses in January.
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 11:07:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#39]

I tried a few times and gave up

I can wait a few days after the rush.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 1:09:55 AM EDT
[#40]

Did you really not already have a local copy in your logging software?
View Quote

I log on more than one device and they get consolidated at qrz. I have all of them, but I started pulling it off qrz to an external drive.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 8:02:49 AM EDT
[#41]

LOTW
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 10:04:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Pencil and paper logs here.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 12:21:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Frank_B:
Pencil and paper logs here.
View Quote

Every hamfest I go to I'm on the lookout for unused Drake, Tandy/Radio Shack or ARRL paper logs. Used to keep separate TRS logs for SWLing, CB and ham activities. Filled a bunch of them up.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 12:34:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
I log on more than one device and they get consolidated at qrz. I have all of them, but I started pulling it off qrz to an external drive.
View Quote

I recommend that you set your various devices to back up their log files regularly. Since it isn't sensitive info like banking data, almost anywhere you have access to is ok.  OneDrive and Dropbox both have free account levels that are fine for this sort of thing.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 12:40:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Emoto] [#45]
Originally Posted By Colt653:
LOTW
http://i.imgur.com/EQTTWO0.jpg
View Quote

Exactly! I see mention that it is up all over social media, so everyone and his brother is going to try it, leading to conditions similar to a denial of service attack, LOL. Their servers will be quickly overwhelmed.

Frankly, I don't know how to avoid that situation.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 3:32:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Frank_B] [#46]
Originally Posted By AnalogKid:

Every hamfest I go to I'm on the lookout for unused Drake, Tandy/Radio Shack or ARRL paper logs. Used to keep separate TRS logs for SWLing, CB and ham activities. Filled a bunch of them up.
View Quote

They're still available: https://home.arrl.org/action/Store/Product-Details/productId/114296/
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 1:50:41 PM EDT
[#47]
They were way overdue for a system upgrade.

Link Posted: 6/29/2024 1:52:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K9-Bob] [#48]
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 2:05:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#49]
such BULLSHIT

i was able to log in a few nights ago

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Colt653:
such BULLSHIT

i was able to log in a few nights ago

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2275/IMG_1975_jpeg-3253613.JPG
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Top Bubba working on it.
Page / 7
LoTW still down (Page 5 of 7)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top