Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2024 2:25:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: billclo]
I'm looking for a good LED lantern for emergency use.  Mostly in the house, but possibly camping use as well.  The options are bewildering, so I'm asking for advice.

Wants:
Solar recharge capability built in.
Internal batter that has a good capacity.
Can use AA or D cells also (not mandatory but nice to have).
Not blindingly bright, several brightness levels.
A built in shade to mask some it would be a nice bonus.

Nice to haves, but not mandatory:

Cellphone recharge capability that actually works.
Yellowish light or something that won't attract so many bugs
External recharge port.

Edit... this one from Lowes looks promising, but I am still open for ideas.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-KOBALT-Lantern-1500L/5014967229
Link Posted: 9/30/2024 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#1]
In, I'd like to have a few like OP is wanting.

I'd like to put a few in our camping/prepping gear and a few in our camper.

Link Posted: 9/30/2024 7:35:16 PM EDT
[#2]
https://www.costco.com/duracell-2000-lumen-tri-power-lantern.product.4000227411.html
Link Posted: 9/30/2024 9:38:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Don’t put any faith in a 2w built in solar.

Get a stand alone 100+ watt panel, controller and a small 12v battery.
Link Posted: 9/30/2024 10:15:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I did pick up that lantern from Lowes.

It can charge from an USB-C connector attached to a wall plug adaptor or other power source, so that was a nice bonus.  I see no issues with the lantern so far; I'll have to try it out and see.

I can see it taking a LONG time to recharge the battery from solar alone, but its a capability that's nice to have, even if a tad slow to recharge.

I do agree a separate solar panel would be better, but I don't have one right now.

Link Posted: 10/1/2024 11:30:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By D00m:
https://www.costco.com/duracell-2000-lumen-tri-power-lantern.product.4000227411.html
View Quote

Thanks

Picked up 2 - local Costco price was $19.99 ea
Link Posted: 10/4/2024 8:29:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ronin72] [#6]
I know this is missing a few wants from your list, but for <$2, you can't go wrong. Pop by HF and try one. The staff won't even get mad. I have these all over the house and they have come in handy during a couple power outages...

Harbor Freight Lantern

Oh and I have been having a good experience with this work light. The magnetic base has come in handy many times. I have even stuck it to the stainless steel sink in my kitchen and did dishes, during a power outage a few months ago.

Braun Magnetic Base Work light - Now on sale
Link Posted: 10/4/2024 11:16:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a few Milwaukee M12 lanterns. Of course, I have various Milwaukee M12 and M18 tools so it makes sense for me to use the M12 lanterns. We use them camping and during power outages. The light can be set to 360* or 180*. They have three light level settings and have a built in USB charging port to charge cell phones or whatever from the M12 battery. Love them.
Link Posted: 10/7/2024 11:11:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Goal Zero has some good lantern options. On the small, packable side, I've been using this one for a while:

Goal Zero Crush light
Link Posted: 10/7/2024 11:53:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been using these for years.  I have several.

Amazon Product
  • Comfortable to use in close quarters without impairing vision
  • Ergonomic handle designed to lock in upright or stowed position
  • Hangs with spring-loaded, incorporated D-ring, which stows against the body when not in use

Link Posted: 10/7/2024 12:07:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By trails-end:

www.amazon.com/dp/B00OW5AK22
View Quote

Yep, same here.  

I've got 3 or 4 of the AA versions, a rechargeable version, and the D-cell version.  Perfect for emergency home use.

They can be used as spill lighting (take off the lens cover) and hung from string.  They have a red LED light to preserve night vision.  Long run times.  Waterproof and they float.
Link Posted: 10/7/2024 12:08:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Streamlight may be considered to be for the poors by some but I have a lot of their products and they've always been good to go. Streamlight is the first place I check for any lights.
Link Posted: 10/7/2024 9:49:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2Hut8] [#12]

View Quote

I agree with this approach.   You can buy one or two expensive lights that do everything or you can buy a bunch of lights and then deploy them as needed.  

I have ten of the AA Surge lanterns.   Two in each truck, two in the camper, the rest in the house.   They all have Eneloop batteries and then there is a 12V/120V charger in each vehicle and multiple chargers in the house.   The batteries can be pulled from the lanterns and used for other things in a pinch.  The lanterns get used quite a bit and I never have capacity issues with the batteries.

My experience with working with one or two lanterns/work lights is that the fewer the lights the more problematic the shadows.   If I have my choice then I am going to deploy more lights with less lumens than fewer lights with more lumens.   Also having more lights means that I am more likely to have a light with me when I need it.      

Some of the lanterns have small pieces of foil inside the globe that can be used as a reflector if needed and then they all have two feet of bank line wrapped the base to aid in hanging the lanterns if necessary.  

I have serious concerns about spending top dollar on anything that has a battery that cannot be easily replaced.   I like the idea of the M12 lights but the availability of AA batteries and various charging options is tough to beat.  

I hope that helps.  

Link Posted: 10/9/2024 6:18:36 AM EDT
[#13]
How does the rubber coating hold up on the Streamlight?  Reason I ask is that pretty much every device I get that has said rubber coating ends up turning sticky/tacky eventually.  Worst offender is a pair of otherwise nice binoculars that are unusable because every time I pick them up I get rubber crap all over my hand that is the devil to remove.

Link Posted: 10/9/2024 8:07:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By billclo:
How does the rubber coating hold up on the Streamlight?  Reason I ask is that pretty much every device I get that has said rubber coating ends up turning sticky/tacky eventually.  Worst offender is a pair of otherwise nice binoculars that are unusable because every time I pick them up I get rubber crap all over my hand that is the devil to remove.

View Quote

I've owned a few for 8+ years.  No issues yet.
Link Posted: 10/9/2024 8:10:51 AM EDT
[#15]
How does the rubber coating hold up on the Streamlight?  

View Quote

My oldest Streamlight Surge lanterns were purchased Nov 2016.  The newest ones Sept 2023.  I have not noticed a difference between them in regards to their condition.   I have also not noticed a difference between them in how they are constructed.  But having said that I am reasonably careful about not hosing them down with mosquito repellant or sunscreen.   I have seen those wreak havoc on rubber coatings.  

My brother in law runs a car dealership and he sent me a picture of a large hole in the dash of a car that was caused by a teenager spilling sunscreen on the dash.   He didn't believe that sunscreen caused it so he put a glob of sunscreen next to the first hole and an hour later had a second hole.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2024 8:19:41 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote
Yep, worked great during the power out last week due to Helene. I have the rechargeable version that has a USB outlet to charge your phone if needed.
It has a red light option and a shade to block some light if you need it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2024 8:43:15 AM EDT
[#17]
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076JSCMPG?tag=arfcom00-20

I keep a stash of Luci Solar inflateable lights around. Take up next to no space, hold charge forever, and solar charging. Three brightness settings and a strobe for emergencies. Lasts up to 18 hours of run time.
Link Posted: 10/9/2024 12:58:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: billclo] [#18]
Ok, thanks for the Streamlight mention.  I could use some smaller lanterns as well, say to carry around the house (bathroom, bedroom changing, etc).  Also might be better than what I have now for car emergency use.

Good to hear the rubber doesn't degrade much too.
Link Posted: 10/9/2024 5:14:20 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Get some 90% isopropyl alcohol and rub the binoculars and other sticky rubber things. It usually cleans them right up and fixes the stickiness.
Link Posted: 10/9/2024 5:54:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By texashark:

Get some 90% isopropyl alcohol and rub the binoculars and other sticky rubber things. It usually cleans them right up and fixes the stickiness.
View Quote

I am going to give that a try, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/9/2024 7:08:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Got several ozark trail survival tripex 800 lumen leds, iircc $30 otd 7 or 8 years ago at walmart, they are used very often outdoors in all weather and have held up well,

Theyre rechargable, solar & hand crank.

Got two other ozark trail rechargable 800 lumen led that get used often also, they are only rechargable, got them on walmart's clearence isle for $10 each.
Link Posted: 10/10/2024 9:38:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Strongly suggest "Rain-Resistant" as a bare minimum.  Power IN/OUT ports often problematic, but a flexible rubber sheet can often be added to shield them a bit.

Some lanterns can be made fairly "rain-resistant" by the user, using suitable silicone "goop" and perhaps some DIY rubber gaskets/shields.
Link Posted: 10/11/2024 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Is there a particular cordless power tool brand that you are currently using? If so, you might see if they make a lantern that uses the batteries you have for them. I'm heavy into the Ryobi platform, so I went with this lantern . It also has a USB output, so you can charge phones too.
Link Posted: 10/11/2024 3:00:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GraboidHunter] [#24]
This thing has been a beast during the recent nearly two week power outage.  10,000 mah battery charges up phones no problem and has plenty of light to last through the night.   Only thing I don't like is it requires a power brick to charge instead of a USB charger.   Not too big a deal since I run a generator during the day.  Dropped it a few times with no damage.

I have not tested the waterproof rating or attempted to see if it floats (which they claim it does!).
Link Posted: 10/11/2024 3:08:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By GraboidHunter:
This thing has been a beast during the recent nearly two week power outage.  10,000 mah battery charges up phones no problem and has plenty of light to last through the night.   Only thing I don't like is it requires a power brick to charge instead of a USB charger.   Not too big a deal since I run a generator during the day.  Dropped it a few times with no damage.

www.amazon.com/dp/B01BI9TTAI

I have not tested the waterproof rating or attempted to see if it floats (which they claim it does!).
View Quote

They are waterproof and they do float.  We inadvertently tested while drunk fishing one evening.
Link Posted: 10/20/2024 5:19:13 PM EDT
[#26]
If you aren't set on using AA the I would recommend the Streamlight Siege X.  It uses a usb rechargeable 18650 and can also run on two CR123.  During a longer grid down situation, you can recharge the 18650 type batteries from portable battery banks and/ or portable solar panels.  I also have a few cheap AA powered slide open to turn on lanterns and other older ones but find the 18650 powered option much more versatile.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q583715?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: 10/20/2024 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Honestly, I love these as a minimalist lantern - Goal Zero Crush. About $20, leave them in the house window, or clipped to your pack if you are camping. Super light, work awesome for really basic stuff, no extra batter stuff to worry about.
Link Posted: 10/20/2024 8:48:17 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote
This is the way.  I recently bought the Energizer knock-off, and it's awesome as well for less than $13.
Link Posted: 10/21/2024 10:21:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mavros] [#29]
Check out the Swiss Tech 2000LM Rechargeable LED Lantern.

They sell them online at Walmart. It's a power bank, lantern and blue tooth speaker. Saved us when Milton took our power out for 4 days.

https://www.swisstechoutdoors.com/flashlights/p/kernstuck-lantern
Link Posted: 10/23/2024 4:21:21 PM EDT
[#30]
I've been pretty disappointed with the Streamlight Seige. long charge time which is ok I guess but the battery drains out fast when not in use. Could just be mine but doesn't make me want to try another one
Link Posted: 10/24/2024 9:51:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By sefus:
I've been pretty disappointed with the Streamlight Seige. long charge time which is ok I guess but the battery drains out fast when not in use. Could just be mine but doesn't make me want to try another one
View Quote

The 18650 version?
Link Posted: 10/25/2024 6:18:30 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

I have had a number of rechargeable type devices with that same issue.   That is why I stuck with the AA version of this lantern.   I have ten of the Siege lanterns that use AA batteries and keeping them supplied with Eneloop batteries none of them have that problem.   I keep two lanterns in each of the vehicles and they have always been good to go when I grabbed them.  

I also have a 12V/120V AA charger in the vehicle with an extra set of batteries so if I anticipate stressing the lanterns then I can start charging batteries while the lantern is in use and then swap as needed.  Camping I have charged batteries during the day but I have never had to recharge batteries during the night.   The lanterns have always lasted all night.
Link Posted: 10/25/2024 3:01:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By thederrick106:

The 18650 version?
View Quote

just looked it up, its the super seige withe the Rechargeable 8800 mAh Lithium Ion battery. I did buy a battery version and have enloops but don't keep them charged. maybe its time to break them out and see if they'll last.
Link Posted: 10/25/2024 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#34]

just looked it up, its the super seige withe the Rechargeable 8800 mAh Lithium Ion battery. I did buy a battery version and have enloops but don't keep them charged. maybe its time to break them out and see if they'll last.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thederrick106:

The 18650 version?

I was just wondering.  I have two of the 18650 version and used one of them a bunch this summer and was very happy with it.  I have a small stash of various rechargeable 18650 and a few other lights, and one headlamp that use them.  

I have started shifting to a few of those because the batteries can easily be recharged with a usb cable.  I can keep stuff up and running should I be limited to small portable solar and banks.  I also have a good stash of CR123, two of which can be used in almost all 18650 devices.

I do still have a few older 18650 batteries in my stash that don't have the USB port, but they can just be dropped in an external charger.

Most everything else I have is AA or AAA.  Other than a slim EDC pocket light I don't have anything that has non replaceable internal batteries anymore, at least in the light dept.

Come to think of it I think about the only thing I use on a regular basis that has a non-replaceable rechargeable battery is my Skil electric screwdriver.  Thing is handy as heck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top